*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712751-Starting-a-Writing-Piece
Rated: E · Essay · Writing · #1712751
Ideas on starting to write. Need some help? Writer's block? Try this!
The Main Rundown


Hello! Do you have writer's block? This could be the thing you need! If you have any ideas on more prompts, please tell me! I'll try to put up all prompts!

Try the "What If's"! These are just a couple of examples that could help you get started writing. If you are writing an essay or story for class or something else, use these as warm ups to get you started. (Note: Do these if you want to write in first person.)

What if you were locked in a basement? What could happen?
What if your best friend was an alein? What would you do?
What if you were inside a dream and strange things started to happen?
What if a killer was out to get you? What do you think would happen to you?
What if your house exploded? Who could've done this?
What if your pencil was actually a snake? (but you can still write with it...?)

Find quotes from famous people! Explain your thoughts about the quote and explain what the author meant by writing this. Here are a few examples. This may also help with some essay question and other things like that.

"Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow."
-Lawrence Clark Powell

"Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence."
-Buddha

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
-Albert Einstein

"I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow."
-Woodrow Wilson

Write poems! This is a fun way to start writing too. This will help get the "brain juice" flowing. Sometimes it helps to chose a topic on which you want to write about. Or, you could also come up with a name for a poem and start from there!

"The Oddly Shaped Star"
"My Computer isn't Working Today"
"Quiet"
"A Penny on the Ground"
"The Weird Dream"
"The Mirror"

Write a short story! Creating your own story is very enjoyable. Make your story your own! Try different characters and fit them into interesting plots. Create and interesting world for your reader. Show don't tell! (Note: When thinking of settings, don't forget the time period or weather. They both deeply affect the mood of your story.)

An old woman
A crazy person
A slipper
An arrogant man
An animal

A creepy forest
Your room
A small home
The Medieval Ages
Snowing

Write about a strange word! Try going to the dictionary or thesaurus and find a word that you've never heard of. Find out about it, explain the word's meaning and write a paragraph about it. (Note: I did not put down any words down because if I chose some words, you could already know them. I'll leave the rest to you!)

Write about a political or worldly event! If you get the newspaper, chose an artical and write a review or pull out the main facts. If you don't, you can go to a reliable news source, (The Boston Globe for example) This can help you with your thought process when writing. It will also give you a better understanding of what's going on in the world.

Don't forget! There are lots of othe things that you can write about, and these exaples barely scratch the surface. I hope this helped you!

-Audrey
© Copyright 2010 Audrey Wells (escape2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712751-Starting-a-Writing-Piece