*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1713287-Zombie
Rated: ASR · Letter/Memo · Dark · #1713287
A zombie shares his thoughts and feelings.
What I find to be most humorous about my new life is the way regular humans treat me. They seem to believe that just because my body is rotting, that I must be inhuman. I am no monster, but a des​sicated ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​corpse that has been reanimated for the amusement of my creator. I can think, and I can feel. My limbs still work with little to no stiffness. In short, I am just like you, but with different skin.

On the subject of skin, you humans seem to take the most issue with outward appearance. It is as if anything that looks different from you is a threat. I can see the advantages as it is important to be able​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ to tell the difference between a human and a wolf, but why you insist upon differentiating between your own people is beyond me. I suppose one my think that, as a zombie, I may have some insight into the human condition from my time spent alive. They would be wrong. Upon reanimation, I lost all memories. My master had to reteach me my own language! Can you not sympathize even a little for one so out of touch with life?

Another rumor I must dispel is the taste for flesh. Yes, I too need energy to keep me going and the wicked system of dark energy that fuels my body does require nutrition to keep going, but it is pure fantasy that I require human flesh to sustain my life on Earth. We metabolize photons and eat rocks. Yes, we are solar powered, and the stone keep our bones strong. Maybe you've heard of zombies inhabiting crypts? Well, these brethren of mine may differ slightly. One does go mad without sustenance and flesh-eating is a symptom of this madness. This madness leads to the development of rabies by our salivary glands and anyone bitten risks infection by the combination of rabies and taint. Only through death can one be reanimated by our bite, so I suppose the infection scare has truth to it.

Ah, I do remember what I meant to say about flesh. We also have a taste for flesh as all humans do: Sexually. You may find it gruesome that a zombie would find a need for sex, let alone still have the physical integrity to engage in intercourse, but it is a natural part of our undeath. If this has promoted fear in you, please rest assured that the phallus and vagina do not regenerate in death, and so if it degenerates to a certain level before we are turned, then our sexuality becomes null. This does not mean that our masters cannot craft genitalia for our magics to operate as part of ourself.

As you can tell, I do retain all capability of higher level function. My organs may no longer form a part of these, but I still retain my soul. This allows me to think and feel and act on more than just instinct. I suppose my voice is the one thing that suffered the most. I cannot reproduce the reverberations that allow me to produce vocal language, but the nether that powers my corpse allow me to carry out communication in the necessary ways. Do not be alarmed if it sounds unnatural to you.
© Copyright 2010 F.S. Orion (wolken at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1713287-Zombie