*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714553-We-arent-leaving
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1714553
a couple in hiding is discovered
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the line, "You'd better have an explanation for this."

~~~~~~~~~


His house was perfectly silent until she came storming in the front door. He knew she would, not only because she always did, but also because of what he had done.

"You'd better have an explanation for this J.D. You promised you would never use magic again!" Her emotions caused changes in the earth and air and he could feel her anger hitting him like a tidal wave.

"I have an explanation!"

She tapped her foot impatiently waiting for this so called explanation.

"He's here. He found us."

Anger vanished from her thoughts and fear quickly took its place, she had no expected his reason to be an actual reason. Her fear took her to her knees.

"How? We've been hiding here safely for years!" Tears began running down her dirt covered face. The earth started shaking in sync with her barely audible cries.

He calmed the earth by countering her powers with his own, which were stronger by far.

"The only option we have is to leave again! I'm tired of running J.D. We lived most of our lives on the run and..." He cut her off midsentence. He knew why she wouldn't fight. They had lost more than one friend when they first faced him, but truth be told they had no friends to lose now.

"We aren't leaving." The same words he had sad to her 17 years ago. "There's no one left to lose Kaitlin."

He was right, though she hated to admit it.

She rose to her feet and wiped the tears from her bloodshot eyes.

"No. We aren't leaving. We're gonna fight," she paused and looked up into his eyes, "and we're gonna win."

The sky went dark and rain began to fall. The door swung open. The battle had begun.

word count- 297
© Copyright 2010 lilamae (lilamae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1714553-We-arent-leaving