*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1715454-The-Best-Ghoul-Ever
by Bonnie
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1715454
Parent's living through worst nightmare, DFFC entry.
It was their third move in five years; long, difficult years filled with anguish since their toddler son had been abducted. Brad felt at times that he had lost his wife too.
Now, they were in another city, another state, Chicago, this time. They finally had the house ready by Halloween.
Marnie decorated the porch and bought candy. Although Brad was unsure if she were up to this celebration, he felt proud she was making an attempt. Life was traumatic, a nightmare without Jay, the perpetual not knowing.
Another year mark was coming around again - so perhaps this was a move forward.
It was a busy evening as the trick or treaters came to the door.
Brad, continually on edge wondering how the evening would affect her. However It seemed to be going well.
Perhaps it was providence. He had to take this job move, maybe it was time, acceptance.
He did not know; she didn't talk to him any more about Jay.


There were six of them in this group, their parents standing behind them guarding their offspring.

She froze. Those startling blue eyes, a mask hid the face, but she'd know them anywhere.

Brad held the basket of candy out to the children, when they all had taken a some he waved them off, and closed the door; as he turned to his wife. He saw her face and stopped.

"You look like you’ve seen a ghost."

He felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He moved forward instinctively to comfort his wife.

“Call Detective Shapiro.” She screamed the words at him as she pushed him aside to get to the door.

He stood there for a moment, confused as he watched his wife run out the door.

Days later the newspaper headlines read, “Mom Finds Abducted Son after Five Years”
© Copyright 2010 Bonnie (bonniemarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1715454-The-Best-Ghoul-Ever