*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717017-Monday
by boma
Rated: E · Other · Dark · #1717017
Monday is a sober reflection on morbid reality.
The school bell rang marking the end of another day. From all the classes poured out a stream of children. Each was garbed in the same bright pink checkered shirt and dark blue shorts. Just about every had a lunch box in one hand and a bag slung over both shoulders.
Weary teachers ungraciously strolled out of the classes after the excited students. For them the day was far from over. There were class assignments to go over, marks to assign and notes to prepare for the coming day.
Still one could not deny the freedom in the air, vibrating like a tuning fork, tapped once to an eternal frequency.
Two boys, hand in hand, walked home. They lived on the same street. Almost everyone believed they were twins. They did just about everything together. Their fathers were childhood friends. Theirs was a happy life filled with fond memories of birthdays and holidays.
The walk home was short and they arrived in minutes. But today was not a normal day. Their courtyard was not quiet and empty as it usually was on a sunny Monday afternoon. Today it was full of people and loud with sorrowful wails.
In the midst of the tears was Mama Julie, the young wife of the old landlord. She was sitting on the floor. Her hair was in shreds, her loosely tied wrapper barely staying around her and her blouse askew as concerned neighbors tried to console her.
My husbandmy husbandmy husband is all she kept sobbing. Beside her stood Julie her 5 year old daughter. She had a haunted expression on her face. From across the courtyard the two boys looked at her and it seemed like she looked right back at them. But she did not once blink or seem like she recognized them.
The landlord is dead said James.
I know said john.
Just then James father walked up to the boys. He stood for a moment beside them.
Hello boys he said.
Good afternoon sir the boys chorused.
How was school today? he asked.
School was fine sir they chorused.
Good he said.
Just then Johns father walked up to the boys. He stretched out his hand to James father who took it. They shook hands. They let go. They both stared at the crowd.
The landlord is dead said James father.
I know said Johns father.
How sad said James father.
Hmm said Johns father.
I think we should go console his wife  said James father.
Yes, we should said Johns father.
James father and Johns father walked off to the wailing crowd. James and John broke their gaze on Julie and stared at each other then back at Julie.
Will they take the landlords body to your fathers hospital? asked James.
I think so replied John.
Will your father build the landlords coffin? asked John.
I think so replied James.
Hmm. Let us go and meet Julie says John.
Ok says James.
And both boys walked off to meet Julie.
© Copyright 2010 boma (boma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717017-Monday