*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717399-The-Gumdrop-and-Jellybean-Monster
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1717399
A little boy creates a monster and needs his mother's help to destroy it.
The Gumdrops and Jellybean Monster



         Blade came running in the room.  “Mom the gumdrop and jellybean monster that I made is real.  Come See, Come See.” 

Mother placed down the newspaper and began to grin.  “Blade, honey is this monster made out of candy?”

         “Of course it is made of candy, hurry come see.” 

         “Blade the monster just can’t be real.”

         “It is mama.  Please, oh please, come see.”

         Mama decided that she would humor her son, so she went upstairs with him. Before she arrived at the top of the stairs she heard a horrible banging noise coming from Blade’s room. 

Blade noticed the shocked look on his mother’s face. “I told you. He is real!”

         “Well, we can’t have him getting sugar all over your room. We will just have to see what he wants.”  Blade's mother took his hand and she took a deep breath, counted to ten and  entered the room. 

         “What if he wants to eat little boys and their mommy’s?” He whispered to his mommy. 

         “Well, I will just call his mommy and tell her that he is misbehaving.”

         Blade laughed.  He knew his mommy meant it and that monster would really be in trouble.  Nobody messed with his mommy.

Blade and his mom got to the door and they heard,

         “Candy, feed me.  Candy, feed me.”

         “Blade how much candy did you use on this monster?”

         “Two bags of gumdrops and a small bag of jellybeans; the jelly beans were for his face, his body is all gumdrops”. He said with a smile. 

         “Wow and he wants candy?  He sure must be hungry.” 

Mom and Blade entered the room. “Hi, Mr. Gumdrop and Jellybean Monster I hear that you are hungry.”

         In a ruff voice the monster spoke, “Feed me, Feed me.”

         “In this house we say please and thank you” Blade said.  His mom simply smiled.

         “Mr. Monster what do you want to eat?”

         “Candy.  Lots and lots of candy.  Feed Me!  Feed Me!” 

         “Blade is right, Mr. Gumdrop and Jellybean Monster we say please and thank you in this house, can you say please?”

With a humph and a sigh, the monster let out a roaring “PLLLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE, Feed me.”  He plopped down on the floor and sugar flew everywhere.

         “Mommy, he did say please.  Do you want me to get some candy from the candy bowl?”

         “Yes please.”

         “GUMDROPS and JELLY BEANS” roared the monster. “GUMDROPS and JELLYBEANS.”

         “Ok. Blade go and get a bag of gumdrops, we will see if that makes him happy.”  Blade ran to his mother’s room and grabbed a bag of gumdrops that was going to be used for the Gingerbread house and ran back to his mother.

         The monster was only one and a half feet tall but, when he saw the gumdrops he leapt up and hit the ceiling. 

         “Oh Boy Gumdrops, Gumdrops.” He jumped up and down and sugar was flying.

         “Hurry Blade, give him a handful and that is all.  Too much sugar is not good for you, nor is it good for little monsters.”  The monster ate the first gumdrop and then he grew another inch.  The next gumdrop the same thing happened and then he shoved a whole handful in his mouth and he grew and he grew and he grew.  Now his head was touching the ceiling.

         Blade began to cry. “Mama what do we do?  He is not a little monster any more.” 

         The Gumdrop monster grabbed the bag of gumdrops from Blade, but mama was faster, she grabbed the bag before the monster could get a good hold. She grabbed Blade and ran out of the room.  The monster was trapped for now and mom had a plan. 

         “Blade, go down to the kitchen and get a small bowl of carrots.  Come right back.  I will stay here and hold the door.”

         “GUMDROPS…GUMDROPS…I WANT GUMDROPS.” 

Mama heard a humph and a sigh and felt the house give a little shake. She assumed the monster had sat down. Blade came back with the bowl of carrots.  Mama told Blade to stay outside the door. She went back in the room with the bowl of carrots. 

         “Mr. Gumdrop and Jelly Bean monster will you please try this nice bowl of carrots?  I think your mommy would be proud.”           “NO…..GUMDROPS.” 

         “Please.”

         With a humph and a sigh he slowly took one of the carrots and ate it.  He began to shrink with every bite that he took.  Then he ate another carrot stick and he shrank back to one and a half feet tall and then he ate another carrot stick and he was only six inches tall. 

         “OHHHH grumbled the little monster, my tummy hurts.”  Mama picked up the little monster and carried him downstairs where she gave him a little bit of milk and he shrank again until he was only three inches high.  He could no longer speak and he was no longer alive. 

         Blade came to the kitchen. “Can we keep him mama?  Please?!?”           

“I think not.  He has caused enough mess for one night.  I think we should take the gumdrops and jellybeans apart and not make any more monsters with them.”

         They both sat at the table and took the candies apart one by one. It was time for Blade to get ready for bed.  Mama went up stairs and swept up all the sugar from her son’s room.  She decided that she would make him a present to help him remember that too much candy is bad for you. She also wanted Blade to  remember the monster that he had accidentally made. 

         She went down stairs and got all different colors of fabric.  She had red silky squares, orange velvet squares, yellow cotton squares, green satin squares, white squares that were from an old bathrobe and blue squares cut from an old curtain.  Mother cut the squares in fours so she would have many tiny squares.  She began to sew the pieces together.  Blade's mother started stuffing each piece to make it look like a gumdrop and she tied each piece off with red or yellow yarn to give the doll a little ruff feel. When she was finished she had a doll that looked just like The Gumdrop and Jellybean Monster.  Mama went upstairs to show her son. 

         “You mean you put him back together?”

         “Not exactly.”  Smiled Mama. 

Blade took the doll and hugged it. “Thanks Mama.  Mama, how did the Gumdrop monster come to life?”

         “That is a good question. I don’t know.” 

Mother went down stairs after she tucked her son in and then she heard, “Feed Me…Gumdrops.” 

         “Oh no.” She ran upstairs.  Blade was standing on the bed with his doll trying to sound like the Gumdrop and Jellybean monster.  When he saw his mother standing in the door with her funny expression, he fell back on his bed and started giggling. 

         “You tricked me you silly little boy.  Mommy thought he was back, now it is time for bed.  Good night with lots of love and don’t let The Gumdrop and Jellybean Monster bugs bite.”

Mother went back down stairs, sat in her chair and fell fast asleep.
© Copyright 2010 sawilson (turtlewilson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1717399-The-Gumdrop-and-Jellybean-Monster