*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719119-Scarecrow
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1719119
The last words of a group of friends found dead near a farmhouse.
Day 1: Okay, so, my name is Justin Ells, and me and my friends Josh and Steve are staying a week at this old, abandoned farmhouse. People say it's haunted and stuff so we just wanna see if that's true. We got a ton of equipment that a ghost hunter would use to, you know, catch a ghost on film. We're technically not suppose to be here but no one is around for about ten miles. Alright, let's see if we can catch anything.

Night 1:
Recording: "Okay, this is Justin. We just got everything set up and ready for our little ghost hunt. We got cameras covering just about every inch of the house. This is gonna sweet!"

"Justin!" Josh called to him from the next room. "Come're, I think I caught somethin!"

  Justin walked into the room where Josh was and sat down next to him. Josh put his finger on the computer screen, pointing to a black blob moving around outside where the camera was. "Josh," Justin said, looking at the screen closer. "That's not a ghost. That's a fat ass cat."

  "Shit!" Josh said, looking at the blob stare at the camera, showing it's cat eyes. "I thought I actally caught something."

  "Don't worry man, we still got a weak." Justin said. He walked over to the cooler and retrieved a beer from inside of it. "Hey man, you want a beer?"

  "Yah, that'd be great." Josh said, catching the beer can that Justin tossed towards him.

Day 2:

  Justin and Josh were both sleeping very deeply. It was twelve p.m. and they were still sound asleep. Until they heard Steve scream from outside. "Guys!" He screamed. "Get the fuck out here!"

  Just and Josh ran outside, Josh still buttoning up his pants since he was in a rush to see what Steve was freaking out about. "What is it?" Josh asked.

  "Which one of you guys put this thing here?" Steve asked. He pointed at the scarecrow that was tied up on a tall cross. It's face was very sinister, it's mouth sewn shut, it's eyes pure black, and it didn't look like the regular stuffed scarecrow, but it's head was rather like a decaying face. "This isn't funny." Stever said to them.

  "Woah." Justin said, touching the scarecrow. "This thing wasn't here when we got here, was it?"

  "No! It wasn't!" Steve said, a mix of fear and frustration in his tone. "This isn't funny guys. Which one of you did this?"

  "Wasn't me man." Josh said. "And it wasn't Justin, he was with me last night."

  Steve looked at Josh, confusion on his face. "You two slept together?" He asked, getting off of the previous topic.

  "Fuck you." Josh said to him. It was normal behavior for this group of friends to bash eachother with slurs and sexual jokes like that. But Justin was still mesmorised by the scarecrow.

  "Guys, this is what we've been looking for." Justin said. "This is actual paranormal activity!"

  Steve wasn't believing it, but Josh was caught in Justin's suggestion of something paranormal. When it started to become dark, and when they were done eating some pizza they brought along from a Pizza Hut they stopped off at before they got there, they decided to go look around.

  Justin went down into the basement by himself while Josh and Steve were investigating upstairs. In the basement Justin found a dusty old box on an old fire place. He shoved a few cockroaches that were on it, and opened it up. He had to shake it a bit to get a big spider that was living in there out of it. Once Justin figured it was bug free, he looked at what was inside. He found a small little journal that had to be from about a century ago. It was dusty, and the papers were old, wrinkled and yellow. He opened it up and found some writing in it. He read what it said:

  Daddy got a new scarecrow today, and it is really scary. I don't like it. We've had it for a few weaks and now my dog has gone missing. I think the scarecrow had something to do with it, but daddy won't listen to me. I hate that scarecrow.

  Justin turned the page, but the next page was torn out. He looked around to find another page on the floor, and sure enough there it was next to his feat. He picked it up, but before he could read it Steve and Josh called him upstairs. He put it in his pocket to save the reading for later.

Day 3:

  Justin and Steve woke up from sleeping in. They drank a lot of beer the previous night. When Justin went to grab a coke from the cooler, he noticed Josh wasn't around. He walked out to the frount porch, and spat out his soda in disbelief of what he saw. The car was gone, and so was Josh. "Steve! Josh left us!"

  Steve ran outside to see the site, and threw a beer bottle in the direction Josh drove off in. "That fucking bastard, what the hell is he thinking!?"

  After about an hour of letting their frustrations out, Justin tried calling Josh's cell phone. "Shit, he's not answering." He said.

  "This isn't even like Josh." Steve said. "Why the hell would he leave like that?"

  Justin called another person. "I'm gonna call Frank. Maybe he'll come and pick us up."

  After Justin got off the phone with Frank, Steve asked him. "So, what did he say?"

  "He said he'll be here by morning. So just one more night."

  "Greeeeaaaat." Steve said, taking another drink out of his beer.

Night 3:

  Steve was outside walking around the house, unplugging all of the cameras to put back into the bags.

  Justin pulled out the piece of paper from the journal out of his pants pocket and read what it said to pass some of the time:

  Daddy found my dog next to the scarecrow today. But the scarecrow was next to the barn instead of where we usually leave him. My dog's neck was snapped. I told Daddy that scarecrow was bad. He locked it up in the barn where it belogns.

  "What the fuck?" Justin said to himself. "Hey Steve! Come look at this!" He called out. Steve didn't say anything back. "Steve?"

  Justin walked outside to see where Steve was. He wasn't anywhere near the house. Neither was the scarecrow. It was off of the cross where it hung, and nowhere to be seen. "STEVE!!" Justin called out. He walked out to the road, trying to see where Steve was. He found a trail of fresh blood being dragged out to the wheat field. "STEVE!?" Justin called out again.

  Steve poked his head out of the wheat field. "Oh thank God. Steve." Justin said, relieved to see his friend. Then Josh poked his head out of the wheat field next to Steve. "Josh?" Justin asked. Josh went back into the field. Suddenly something large was thrown at Justin's feet. It was Josh's head. "What the fuck!?" Justin said, looking at his decapitated friend's head.

  He looked at Steve, and saw that he was being held up by a thin, bony arm. The arm came out further, and soon, a body. Steve was thrown to the ground, a pitchfork stabbed into his back. "STEVE!" Justin said again. The next thing that came out of the wheat field was a bony creature made from sticks and straw. It's face was bony, it's eyes were dark, and it's mouth was sewn shut. "The fuck?" Justin said in disbelief.

  The scarecrow lifted up a scythe from it's back and threw it at Justin, piercing him in the head. The scarecrow dragged Justin and his friend's bodies away intot he night.

The next day:

  Frank pulled up to the farmhouse and looked around for Steve and Justin. When there was no sign of them in the house, he looked out back. What he found were Justin, Josh, and Steve all hung onto crosses, their eyes cut out and their mouths sewn shut. The scarecrow was on his own cross behind them, smiling now that he had a few new friends that were just like him.

The End?
© Copyright 2010 ScaryMan (thescaryman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719119-Scarecrow