*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719488-The-Year-My-Family-Became-Worse
by Mandi
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Family · #1719488
Essay that's non-fiction, based on my real life experiences from 7th grade to present.
The Year my Family Became Worse

My family has always had its typical family problems; however, when I was in 7th grade, they got even worse. At the time, I was living with my mom and brother, who was 25 years old. The problems began around October, and gradually got worse. My family and house was falling apart in front of me, but I couldn’t do too much to prevent it. I became a wreck as everything else was getting worse. On top of everything else, this guy who we all knew was homeless, so my mom let him move in; he was around 30 years old. He created more problems for all of us.

The house became a disaster that looked like a big garbage dumpster filled up. Everyone stopped cleaning anything, so I did all of it. Every day after a long, stressful day at school, I would get home and clean. My grades began slipping, I couldn’t focus on homework, studying, or at school. All I did was clean, clean, and fight with my mom when she was around much. By the middle of the year, I was fed up. I stayed at my best friend’s house day and night. Her dad would take us to school, and pick us both up from school. It started out me at her house for about three days, go home for a day, and then back to her house. Before to long, I only went home once a week, while I was there, I would clean and do laundry. The next day, I would have my bag packed for another week at her house.

Around a month before school ended, my friend, Stephanie, had asked if I would like to go to Las Vegas, NV with her for 8th grade. She said that she’d already talked to her mom, Rose who already lived down there, and to Rich, who was her moms’ boyfriend. Rose had told Stephanie that she and Rich would not mind, if it was okay with my mom. Later that day, I called my mom and told her what was going on. She said that it would be my decision on whether or not I wanted to move down there, and that she wouldn’t mind if I thought it would be for the best. When I hung up with my mom, I told Stephanie what my mom had said, and that if she was sure that she wouldn’t mind then I would like to. It was settled, Stephanie called her mom, and told her my decision and what my mom had said. Rose then, bought me a one way plane ticket to Las Vegas, for June 10th and the seat next to Stephanie’s. I was delighted that I had the chance to go and get away from the stuff that was going on around Zillah, a tiny town in Washington state where everyone knows everyone. I had always hated Zillah, and it was just getting worse as the year went on. Everyone heard that I was going to move to Las Vegas, so they kept trying to act like we were best friends for as long as Stephanie and I had- at the time, it was 8 years- even though they had back-stabbed and talked about me the whole year. I was still nice to them, but ignored them for the most part. By the time June 10th came, I was jumping with joy on the inside to leave.

Las Vegas was different in so many ways. There were so many places and people, and there were so many different ethnic backgrounds. When school started, I was so nervous, not because of the move, but because of how big the school was. It turned out that I didn't get lost, people were really friendly, and all the teachers actually cared about you. Quickly, I learned that I love Washington just not Zillah, but the schooling and people weren't bad in Las Vegas either. When I was in Zillah, I had a very negative attitude and was very quiet, in Las Vegas it changed. I began thinking positive, became more social, and started looking more at the good in the people. Instead of asking why me, what did I do wrong, why couldn't I prevent all of it, or why not me, I just said everything happens for a reason and this is life.

I thought that after 8th grade, I'd have to go back to Zillah, but Rose and Rich told me that I could stay if I'd like to. I said my thank yous, and decided that I wanted to stay. Stephanie ended up going to a different school than I, because she went to a magnet school for fashion design, and I just went to the regular high school that we were zoned for. Even though she wasn't there, I still had fun my 9th grade year; although, 8th grade was my all time favorite. The high school had over 3,000 students and over 900 freshman! The campus at Palo Verde High School was huge, it was probably at least 3 football fields long! Most of the students were very nice and most of the upper upperclassmen didn't care if you were a freshman or not. I ended up friends with some students in my grade, and many in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade, though 99% of them were male. In the middle of 9th grade, Rose and I started to talk about guardianship. She had temporary, but you were only able to have that for a year, and I was there for 2 years. She looked into getting permanent guardianship, but it cost $500 plus the mile long waiting list to get a court date. We also found out that I wouldn't be able to get my license, or a job because she had to have the permanent guardianship. I knew that I wanted to stay in Las Vegas, but I also knew that I had to think of the future.

When summer came along and it was time to come and visit family here in Washington, all of us- Rose, Rich, Stephanie, family, and I- thought it would be like the year before: come up here, visit, and go back. A week after I got to Washington, I knew I had to think about whether or not I was going back. Stephanie, Rose, and Rich were having some money problems like everyone else, and there wasn't a way that I would be able to get a job and help out. By the time July came along, I knew what I had to do, even if I didn't want to. That night, I told my mom and aunt what was going on and that I had to stay. I also told them that I did not want to go to Zillah again. My mom and I talked about moving to Terrace Heights or Naches. A lot came up, and I wasn't able to. In August, I gave up and accepted the fact that I was just going to Zillah.

At first, my mom and I was living in a white, 16ft. trailer outside my aunts house. In July, my brother got evicted from his apartment, so he had to move with my mom. I got moved to my aunts boyfriends' motor home outside. There was no where else that I could move to, so her boyfriend asked me if I wanted to move in with them, then they would support me financially. I finally agreed, so his oldest son (Chris), my brother, aunt, and I cleaned out my aunts spare/computer room.

From the move, I learned a lot about other people, and myself. My old friends from before kept telling me that I should come back and that they missed me; however, the most that some of them have said to me is hi. Now, some of the people that I thought was annoying before talk to me, and have matured for the most part. Also, as I already mentioned, while I was in Las Vegas, my attitude completely changed. Even though I don't like Zillah, I figure you make the best of it you can, and it's just how life is. While I was in Las Vegas, I also learned its perfectly fine to be unique and you. I found out that I only really like types of rock music instead of rap or hip-hop, I love video games, black, red, skulls, and that I'm basically a complete tomboy. I couldn't have been as fortunate in Zillah to figure this stuff out because most of the people are so much alike and they judged a lot on family history. As you can see, I never did and still don't like Zillah, but I learned that you have to live with your life no matter what is thrown your direction.
© Copyright 2010 Mandi (moon9538 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719488-The-Year-My-Family-Became-Worse