*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720607-Sugar
Rated: 13+ · Other · Holiday · #1720607
Halloween Costume Contest Gone Very Wrong. Daily flash fiction winner. Yay!
Daily flash fiction contest:
Prompt for 10/30
"Write a story about the drama/comedy/embarrassment between two people who discover they're wearing the exact same costume at a Halloween party."

300 Words

She was going to win this Spookfest costume contest. This was the largest, most metro-chic Halloween party in the city. Hundreds of in-crowd types would be festing throughout the night. She had gotten her invitation and immediately schemed her triumphant victory speech.

Blown sugar - delicate wispy strands of heated pulled sugar wrapped around her body in a blue and white chiffon masterpiece. The heat from her skin melted the first layer, forming a glue holding the rest of it place. Sugared wings rose from her back. She was breathtaking.

When she arrived, she was an instant hit. Reporters snapped her photo with the mayor. People lined up just to tell her how amazing she looked. She was ecstatic.

The evening was almost over, her costume held strong, and the results were about to be announced. The crowd milled in the center of the park as the speaker glanced through his notes. They all looked at her and nodded and winked, their collective minds settled.

Then a sprinkler head popped up, then another, and another and a wretched hiss snaked through the park. The crowd froze, all eyes on her melting sugar wonder. They waited a bit longer than people not watching a denuding young lady might have, then dispersed in a yelping, chittering mass.

She stood there, crying softly with her eyes closed as her costume melted, unable to bear the shame. When she opened her eyes, a handsome completely naked man stood not far away with the same despondent look on his face. He noticed her and walked over to stand next to her in the rain.

"Fruit roll-up prince," he said quietly. She looked at his melted strawberry skin. "Sugar fairy," She replied.

"Nice to meet you," He said smiling a bit. "Likewise," she replied and smiled too.
© Copyright 2010 sharpey00 (sharpey00 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720607-Sugar