*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720887-Ruby-chapter-2
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1720887
2nd chapter of Ruby. Please give honest reviews and tell ,e what you think. Thank you
Chapter 2
The sun immediately took effect on Crothen. It shined in his hazel eyes and lit up his spirits despite the throbbing in his head. He gazed at the beautiful city of Shivelton. Up ahead was the local village and behind the village was king Shivels castle. Never in 10 years has crothon been outside the knights castle except to go home and return in the morning. He had never met that shining sun or had he seen the village during mid afternoon. Knowing that he had plenty of time before his parents expected him home, Crothon decided to explore the city while there was still light. People crowded the streets of the village, children played near the pond and a guard was posted on a roof to watch the streets for lawbreakers. Crothon received many stares from the villagers because of his bleeding head and bloodstained shirt, but quickly ignored them and decided to ease his hunger. A block away was Crothon’s favorite bakery, the Gold Bakery. Sometimes after knight training, Crothon would go to the Gold Bakery to pick up bread for the family. It was also a place to catch up on some gossip that crothon sometimes found very interesting. As he approached the Gold Bakery, the scent of cinnamon bread and other sweet goods drove into his nose. The smell always attracted new customers and old ones, which meant the bakery was always full of hungry customers. When Crothon entered the bakery, the sweet smell became stronger and made his stomach hurt. Many people were sitting at the tables provided and chatting with friends while eating there tasty goods. Crothon caught snips of conversation about the falling of king Shivel and a blacksmith who no longer had steel plates to make weapons for the mainland army. Crothon had heard of these stories before and none of them had caught his interest. Maybe ive been spending too much time alone crothon thought to himself as he moved around people to get to the counter. Up at the counter was Crothons only friend John Baker, who worked at the baker with his father Ron Baker. After John’s mother died of unknown causes, John and his father traveled to Shivelton to start a business. Although there were many other bakeries located all over the village, the Gold Bakery turned out to be a success. John gave him a silly grin “aren’t you suppose to be locked up in the knights building in till sunset?” Crothon let out a painful laugh and replied “very funny, no Master Owlen let me out early today.” John was always a joker, he even looked like one with his buck teeth and large blue eyes, but he did look very professional with his bakery apron and hat that covered his short blonde hair. “So what would you have today? Blueberry muffins, cinnamon bread, butter bread, cherry rolls-?” “ I think ill just have the cinnamon bread today.” Crothon said with little patience in his voice. A cinnamon bread was handed to him with a friendly smile and he put three bronze coins on the counter and departed to a table with a wave of goodbye to his only friend. More people crowded into the bakery and Crothon manage to find one empty table next to the door. He sat down and began eating his wonderful bread. Next to him were three older gentleman, which Crothon didn’t recognize. They have to be travelers Crothon thought to himself as he stared and the men. They wore green packs on their backs, each carried a weapon of some sort, and all three had great long white beards that went down to their chest level. The conversation between the three was quite loud as if they wanted everyone to hear what they were talking about. “Well I heard that Shen the sea traveler will be coming to Shivelton.” Said one of the travelers, who was wearing a ugly green jacket. Now the room was completely silent. All heads were turned to the old travelers. “Yes” said another one of the old travelers “I heard he would be here tomorrow.” All three were smiling now as if they had pulled a major prank. “Where did you hear such nonsense?” One of the bakery cooks questioned “That man has been dead for many years.” Everyone agreed and started throwing questions at the three old travelers. The man with the ugly green jacket stood on top of the table he sat at and waited in till the bakery was quite. When the bakery finally settled down he began his story. “Me and my three companions over here,” he said pointing to the other two men sitting at the table “were buying goods at the local merchant store at Feero yesterday. When all of a sudden, people started to form around the city’s docks. We were curious to know what was going on so we headed outside and saw the legendary man himself. His usual brown hair was now light red and his usual light skin was now dark with color. Behind him were his sea companions and huge boxes.” Now the man with the green jacket had an excited tone to his voice, which caused the quiet bakery to mumble with excitement. Unfortunately, the story was cut short because Ron baker had entered the shop and yelled at the man with the ugly green jacket. “Get off the table you dumb brute and stop disturbing my customers with your unbelievable tales!” Although Ron baker was a stubby man, he had the voice of a warrior which could make anyone change their mind about messing with him. The man hopped down from the table and the three old men began gathering their belongings. One of them mumbled about going to a pub and enjoying a few drinks. Then they were off, some customers even followed the old men, still wanting answers from their unanswered questions. Crothon tried to recall when Shen Seatraveler had left to go on his majestic quest to find new hope and spirit for the people of the Mainlands. The Royal war between King Shivel and King Hermen had left the citizens on both sides on a low depression. Shen had said that he would find new land of peace and without any ruler. People had taken his word, but after twelve years everyone had given up. Assuming he had died of shipwreck or natural causes, but now that the rumor of him still being alive would bring back hope for the people of Shivelton. Chatter began to arise in the bakery, some men left to spread the word about Shene’s arrival. Finishing off his now cold cinnamon bread, Crothon decided he should head home to get his wounds check out by his mom. The gash on his head turned into a ache and dry blood was in his hair. Before he left he said goodbye to John and left the bakery.
© Copyright 2010 bookeagle18 (akbloodhound at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1720887-Ruby-chapter-2