*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722602-Never-Say-Never-Again-or-so-He-Said
by Amay
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1722602
He proposed, but he said he was never getting married again
“Never Say Never Again” or so He Said


“Will you marry me?”

“What? Wait a minute…… Freeze Frame

My mind was racing. What did I just hear? I didn’t hear him say; ‘Will you marry me?’ did I? I could have sworn when we started this non-relationship, this friendship that has grown exponentially with each meeting, he said he’d never ever marry again, repeatedly. He wouldn’t go through the hassle again. She’d damaged his heart and soul. He wouldn’t trust another woman with it again. So, what was happening here? When did this change happen?

Oh No I didn’t ….Did I just hear myself say ‘Yes! Yes, a thousand times yes!’? What about that freeze frame? Hey, Brain, you might want to contact me before you start answering questions. Have I stepped out of my body and completely forgotten the game here. This was for fun, for a moment in time. Oh yeah, that was seven years ago, a lot of moments have passed.


I stared into the most delicious blue eyes of the man I’d just told a thousand times yes. All I could see was love. His smile and eyes lit up his face. He was on cloud nine. He held my hands as I climbed aboard that cloud with him. I couldn’t stop smiling. I really did love this wonderful man. He was such a darling, calling on me, and doing everything he could to please me. Well maybe a freeze frame wasn’t really necessary.

“I thought you said you would never marry again. What made you change your mind?”

“I’ve been thinking about it for a while now, darling. I always thought I’d spend the rest of my days alone, but you’ve made the difference in me. I can’t imagine my life without you in it. Honestly, I don’t want to imagine my life without you in it. I want to grow old with you.”

My heart slowly returned to normal after its adrenaline- induced pounding as I listened to his calm explanation. I wanted to file every detail of this evening in my memory, from the exquisite meal, to the song that playing when he popped the question. Everything was so important to remember. After all, it was my first real proposal.

The waiter returned with a dozen roses and a bottle of champagne, another conspirator in this scheme. While he distracted me snapping pictures, a little blue box was placed on the table in front of me. My flute of champagne sparkled in the candlelight, as I stared at the box. I couldn’t believe all of this was happening.

Hayden watched as I opened the box. His face reminded me of my kids at Christmas. Eager for approval, I handed him the box, he gingerly grasped the ring, and placed it on my finger. Flashes went off and applause rang out.

We kissed our first kiss as an engaged couple.“I guess, you’ll never say never again.”



Word count: 497

© Copyright 2010 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722602-Never-Say-Never-Again-or-so-He-Said