*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722974-THE-BOXING-TRUTH-Valuev-Chagaev-II
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Sports · #1722974
Originally published June 4, 2009 The Boxing Truth Valuev-Chagaev II called off again...
THE BOXING TRUTH: Valuev-Chagaev II called off again: Can Holyfield be ignored?



In this edition of The Boxing Truth Beau Denison examines the issues surrounding the World Boxing Association Heavyweight championship as it relates to the recent cancellation of the Nickoli Valuev- Ruslan Chagaev rematch and the potential for a possible solution.



The recent announcement of yet another cancellation of the on again off again Nickoli Valuev-Ruslan Chagaev rematch is just the latest chapter in a long series of events surrounding the WBA Heavyweight championship. The latest cancellation of the bout came just a day before the two were set to step into the ring when the undefeated former champion Chagaev was denied medical clearance by local Finnish officials in Helsinki Finland where the bout was to have taken place.



This is the latest in a long series of bad blood and grand standing between the camps of the two fighters over the various logistics of the bout including Chagaev being deemed as a “Champion in recess” by the WBA.  Valuev is currently the active defending champion. Once again let us not forget the WBA still has not mentioned or addressed the Holyfield protest. Basically you can say the WBA belt is up for grabs and frankly all this “hull-a-ba-loo” is meaningless.



Valuev originally earned the right to face Chagaev the man who defeated him for the WBA championship in 2007, by defeating former champion John Ruiz in a rematch and was later elevated from mandatory challenger to champion after Chagaev was unable to defend the title due to injury. The latest cancellation marks the third unsuccessful attempt to stage a rematch between Valuev and Chagaev.



According to the World Boxing Association (WBA) they will make a decision on the championship situation later this week. It will be interesting to see what the WBA’s response is on this matter because we still have yet to hear any response from the sanctioning organization in regard to another situation involving the same championship in question. Evander Holyfield’s formal protest of his controversial decision loss to Nickoli Valuev last December. Now that the latest failure to get these two fighters to face off against each other for a second time has taken place the question that is being asked is What will the WBA do about the world championship situation in the Heavyweight division?



It is no secret that I am in agreement with Evander Holyfield in regard to what happened in his title bout with Valuev last year. I feel strongly as does Holyfield that a clear injustice took place and it should be addressed. It therefore boggles this observer’s mind as to how the WBA will be able to act so quickly on a decision regarding who rightfully owns the WBA Heavyweight championship when only two fighters are part of the discussion when there should be three… What ABOUT Holyfield?



How can one issue involving the same championship be dealt with so quickly yet we all are still awaiting a decision that should have been made six months ago? In regard to who actually holds the WBA championship at this time, I believe that since Valuev was announced as the defending champion in his last bout and was not announced as being defeated after the bout’s completion that he is the champion and the term “Champion in recess” is meaningless.



Lets clear the confusion. Chagaev was stripped of the title plain and simple. If the WBA wants to use the term “Champion in recess” the WBA championship should not be defended in any fashion. Either it is a world championship fight or it is simply a non-title fight. Why confuse the issue?



To this observer, the one issue that remains the most confusing of all the elements surrounding the situation is the apparent reluctance on behalf of the WBA to address Holyfield’s protest. No statement has been released! Could it be the WBA is embarrassed in some way or simply does not know how to address the protest? Regardless, the WBA has really dropped the ball and in Holyfield’s case simply two words “Rip Off!”.



The other piece of this complicated puzzle surrounding the current WBA Heavyweight championship picture is the current WBA number one Heavyweight contender John Ruiz. Shortly after the announcement of the latest cancelation of the Valuev-Chagaev rematch, former Heavyweight champion John Ruiz has demanded that the WBA hold an immediate purse bid for what would be his third bout against Valuev.





“Enough is enough, Chagaev has never fulfilled his obligation to fight mandatory defenses. German promoters have gotten their way with the WBA in the past, but the WBA has to do the right thing – strip him of his title and drop him from the ratings. I knew something would happen because he is either injured or it’s something else where he doesn’t fight. That’s why I’ve been working so hard at the gym in Las Vegas to get ready. I’m glad that this situation will finally be settled and I’ll be fighting for the title.” Ruiz said in a written statement.





The WBA should do the right thing however with all due respect to John Ruiz the right thing that the WBA needs to do does not in my opinion immediately include him. What is the right thing that the WBA should do? Address Evander Holyfield’s protest!

There is one thing that all this grand standing involving all parties that is a clear determent to the fighters involved in this situation. Despite all the arguing demanding and all potential litigation, these fighters are all being denied the one thing that can solve all the confusion; the ability to get in the ring and fight it out.





You have three of four fighters in this utterly confusing headache of a puzzle that are medically cleared to box. Why not let them fight? It may not have been in Nickoli Valuev’s immediate possibility to compete this past weekend but he could certainly compete a couple of weeks from now. Why not have Ruiz or better yet Holyfield step in for Chagaev on either a couple of weeks or better yet a month’s notice?





The longer that these boxers are prevented from actually getting in the ring and competing the more damage will be done. Little damage will be done to the WBA or the various promoters all with a gripe in this situation. The worst of the damage will be suffered by the boxers themselves.





The fact of the matter is that even if a boxer has remained in the gym and has kept in shape that there is a difference between training and actually competing. The longer that these fighters are prevented from stepping into the ring to compete due to all of this confusion, it is bound to have an effect on how each boxer performs in their next fight. In the case of 46 year old Evander Holyfield this is especially crucial… Lets face it no one knows who will be fighting who!





A solution to the confusion? Perhaps the WBA should hold a mini tournament of sorts… This tournament should include Valuev, Ruiz and, last but not least Holyfield. The best scenario of how this should take place would obviously be mandating that Valuev face Holyfield first. If the WBA has no intention of publically addressing Holyfield’s protest and rendering a decision regarding it the best solution would be giving Holyfield another opportunity to prove himself. It would also not be a bad idea to make sure there is no controversy and no dispute that this fight take place on neutral territory and not in Europe.





It would also not be a bad idea for John Ruiz to fight a top contender in the meantime while a winner between Valuev and Holyfield is determined. Perhaps this top contender should be one of the promising young American heavyweights that are looking to make an impact in the division. What would the point be of making Ruiz continue to sit out and wait for a winner between Valuev and Holyfield? He should be given the opportunity to remain active instead of waiting. Valuev and Holyfield would have the opportunity to get in the ring and compete thus having the ability to work off any potential ring rust… Ruiz should be given the same opportunity. This would be the right thing to do.

It also benefits the Heavyweight division and the sport of boxing overall to have Ruiz risk his mandatory challenger status against a top contender or at least a prospect on the rise.





This is all well and good only if it is put into practice of course… Doesn’t the sport of Boxing deserve for once to have something that takes place that is for it’s benefit? Could it be the WBA will find yet another way to duck, bob and, weave indecisively?





  Let the boys fight and clear the confusion…





And That’s The Boxing Truth.

© Copyright 2010 Beau Denison (beaudenison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1722974-THE-BOXING-TRUTH-Valuev-Chagaev-II