*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1723190-entry
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1723190
The story of an iron encased person based in an everyday story of P.R past.
Ivy was eating breakfest when the soldiers knocked her door; back then, she though they were Jehovah's Witnesses since it was so early in the morning. She opened the door finding two navy officials in front of her; her knees trembled as studied their faces. Out of the monotone glacing she saw curved eyebrows and tight jaws.

They entered into the room after a short introduction; her heart beated quickly as she saw them take their hats down.

She had been into milblogging after her husband entered the Navi, she read Hockenberry, Sgt. Missick and 2Slick blogs when their post were updated. Never before she felt her husband that close. She recalled those Sundays when he would meet with Kyle (Joe older brother), and Ronnie to play with those bouncy dices; Kyle had died two years ago serving the Navi in Arabia Saudi; Ronnie begun his poor career as a musician and Joe decided that he wanted to follow his brother footsteps.

She stared at the photo album reviving those memories in her head. She always though he would die in war, but she never dared to stop him from doing so. There in the album she found a photograph of Joe and Kyle sitted over the building blocks; those blocks used to build the house she was living in.

Her memories became fragile as the years passed; but she still remained faithful, still waited and still loved him, even though he never learned how to cook nor accompanied her to church the Sundays; but something he knew, he knew how to tell stories, that's why she fell in love with him back then in high school.

"Just tell me the theme and I'll tell you the story" he used to say sounding like an Okie.


She was waiting in the sofa for them to talk; the older soldier cleared his throat and gave an atonishing discurse about honor and death. His companion tried to show compassion by placing his hand over her shoulder.

She claimed that she wanted to see his body, she wouldn't believe it until she saw him. They took an Iron large block and placed it upon the kitchen table, inside it there was supposed to be her husband body.

"How can I get to see him?" she asked; the heavy block couldn't be opened.

"since the bodies travel a long distance we need to protect them"

She didn't even cried, they leaved and she stared at that box over the kitchen table. The iron encased person was supposed to be her husband but she couldn't believe it.

She tried all possible methods to open that block wishing that those words were truth.

After a week the box was in the same place, fire didn't worked, nor the craftman hammer from Joe's tool box.

She wrote on her blog what had happened; five minutes after her cellphone rang.

"Ivy, It's me, Joe; sorry, I could't call you because we were prohibited to, our troop got lost and they found us today"

She laughed staring at the iron block and decided to tell him to go back home.
© Copyright 2010 Kaeru Miyano (floresdavila at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1723190-entry