*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1723977-A-Glimpse-of-White
Rated: E · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1723977
A short story about an unusual girl with a big problem.
It was just a normal Saturday, well, that is until my friend Jack came over. He’s the type of person who will hear his house creek and then claim it was the Boogy Man. So when he ran to me screaming, “Mike! You know that old abandon house right next door? Last night I saw a skeleton walking past the windows!” I of course didn’t take it seriously at first. But the way he said it… shaking like a leaf and terror in his eyes. It wasn’t like his previous exaggerations. Now, don’t get me wrong. I didn’t actually believe he saw a real skeleton but it did seem like something spooked him “Look, I highly doubt that you saw a skeleton. It probably was someone in costume pulling a prank on you. We can go to the house now and I’ll prove it to you.” I said cheerfully but Jack didn’t share my optimization. “No way man, you couldn’t pay me to go there!” And with that he ran back to his house.

It was dusk, a voice in my head telling me to just forget all about this, go inside and play some video games. But all it took was turning to look at the falling down building and curiosity finally got the best of me. Slowly I approached the house, my eyes glued to the windows. A sudden sneeze snuck up on me and when I opened my eyes again I caught a glimpse of white pass away from the edge of the window, causing shivers to run down my spine. I’m sure it was nothing… just a cat or something. I thought, not buying my own story! Even slower then before, I crept to the door, finally building up the courage to turn the knob, it opened. Hesitantly I entered, closing the door behind me. Now I expected to see a rundown mess, dust everywhere. But that wasn’t the case. It looked like a well furnished home form the late 70s. “H… Hello?” I called out, hearing movement for a moment but nothing more. Again, I had to build up the courage to move, walking through the living room, and then the kitchen, amazed at how clean everything looked. I soon found my self in a girl’s bedroom, dolls lining the wall. I took a closer look when I hear a voice behind me. “They’re pretty, aren’t they?” Said what sounded like a girls voice. Turning around I saw, to my surprise and horror the skeleton of a girl that could have been around my age… ten, maybe eleven.

I opened my mouth to scream but a bony hand soon covered it. “Please don’t be afraid! I’m not going to hurt you. My whole family is like this and I hate it! All I want this someone else to talk to. Please! At least give me that.” My eyes were still wide with fear, staring into the empty sockets of where her eyes should have been. Slowly she removed her hand, waiting to see what I would do next. I had two choices, run, or talk with this skeleton. There seemed to be only one sane outcome but once again my curiosity got the better of me. “W… What is your name?” I asked in a shaky voice.

We ended up talking for hours! I found out that her name was Jasmine. It turned out that her father used to really be into the occult, talking to spirits, ghosts, and demons with any means necessary. One day he really ticked one of them off, so much so that the demon cursed all of Jasmine’s family. At first her father didn’t take it seriously but the next morning… well you get the picture. I also learned that they basically become ghosts when leavening the house, but inside the house they’re physical. “So… um, where is there rest of you family?” I ask, still weirded out by the fact I was talking to a skeleton. “They’re sleeping, not much else for us to do really.” She said in a sad tone, I pitied her. “I better get back home, my parents will be wondering where I am.” I say before slowly
heading for the door. “Wait… promise me you will come back! It gets lonely when they sleep for such a long time.” She said in a pleading tone, her hand clapped together. Gulping I nodded, not seeing any real harm in it. “I’ll come back tomorrow.” I said before leavening the house.

I came home, had dinner, chatted with the family, but instead of running to the computer after words I laid on my bed, thinking about what just happened. What is going to happen now? could the same thing actually happen to my family? How long had she been like that? Should I go back tomorrow? I think while slowly drifting off to sleep.
© Copyright 2010 hooloovoo (hooloovoo4242 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1723977-A-Glimpse-of-White