*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724697-A-Fire-in-the-Cosmos
by milani
Rated: E · Prose · Environment · #1724697
when body surrenders to soul, we experience total exploration of the Universe.


         Bright orange flames devour the somber darkness. My longing eyes stare into the fire, wishing to have nothing more than that kind of doubtless existence; no hesitation, nothing to hold me back. With only the burning logs as company, my mind surrenders to the peacefulness. The only conversation I hear is the rhythmic popping of the fire. Ever so often, laughter from a distant camp site drifts through the looming pines. Whispers carried by the wind dance around my face, trying to take the stray hairs with them.  I curl up closer to the fire and it begins to ward off the cool air that bites at my toes and fingertips.  My back, still turned towards the blackness, yearns for heat.



My mind wanders as I marvel at the pregnant stillness. Vibrant flames are reflected on the glassy surface of my eyes. The glowing dancers celebrate life and light with every elegant movement; so energized in comparison to the outlying serenity. Creatures of the night begin their sweet serenading. The rhythmic chirping of the crickets, quivering trees, the hoot of an owl and a light hum from the mosquitoes all add to the nocturnal concerto.  It is a beautiful and somber song, respected by all who have had the chance to hear it.  I look to the sky for answers. Could it be the mysteries in my mind are solved by the transcendence of the cosmos? In this answer lays the heart of my love for the universe. It was perfect. 



Subliminal questions fill my head, “Why can’t I shake this ever-present feeling of being watched? How could I tap into this flow of energy all around me? Where does it come from, and how do I affect it? What must I do to dwell in the presence of the Great Creator? Or what mustn’t I do?” Presently, I find my soul suspended between reality and the fictions of my mind. For as long as I can, I dwell in this dimension. Sadly, the reality of a dismal sleep is imminent and I reluctantly hand my body over to the real world.  It is almost as if I am a lonely prisoner in this cell of life.  I look to the flickering stars once more, begging for rescue. My request turns to vapor in the atmosphere, never seeming to reach the galaxy outside. Accepting this truth, I bid farewell to the night, douse the fire and watch the sizzling embers surrender.  Shadows eat up the remaining light and I sleep.

         “Hello dreams, thank you for the escape, I suppose the stars where listening after all.”

© Copyright 2010 milani (priscilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1724697-A-Fire-in-the-Cosmos