*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725339-A-Girl-With-Dyslexia
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1725339
A poem about a girl that had trouble writing.
Once not too long ago in a place not too fair away there was a young girl. She seemed like all of the other children growing up until she was in the 2nd grade. Her teacher knew that there was something wrong with the girl for she still had trouble putting together sentences. Her parents took her for many tests, eye exams, C.A.T. scans and, E.G.G. scans. The next summer while her parents took her to see a man to do some different testing. He showed her words on a computer and she had to say them.
After those three days she was diagnosed with Dyslexia. Dyslexia is a disability where people find it harder to read and write. She was put in a resource room where she would receive the extra assistance that she needs to learn. She also went to a touter once a week for additional assistance.
When she went on to middle school she had an intervention specialist who would help her in a standard class room environment. Her love of drawing was increasing but her love of reading was developing. In her sixth grade year she read all of the Black Stallion books in her school library and The Thief Lord. She also started to study a second language on her own, Japanese. When she was in the seventh grade she no longer received assistance from a touter, but she still had access to an intervention specialist when needed. To her liking she did not have spelling quizzes that year but she did like learning vocabulary words. That year through some friends she discovered how to draw in the stile of manga. She than began drawing like there was no tomorrow.
When she entered her eighth grade she had less access to intervention than she had. She had spelling quizzes again to her dissatisfaction. She also picked up larger books and would read them for fun. She also began writing a story that she had for a year before. Later that year do to continues bad grades class wide for spelling quizzes her teachers sat her class down and one of them asked if anyone in the class knew what Dyslexia is. She answered meekly "I am Dyslexic." Her teacher than had her explain what Dyslexia is and how it is a challenge for her to read, write and spell. Her classmate asked her some questions about Dyslexia the following week.
His questions were hard for her to answer but what she replied made sense to both her and him. He asked "How do words appear to you as a Dyslexic?"
She pondered while answering, "I can not say truly because I do not know how a normal person sees the words. It is like a person who has been blind from birth trying to describe what he 'sees' to a person with sight, he has nothing to compare it to."
When she went into high school she was in a standard English class with one of her best friends. She continued to write in the story until it was done. She and her friend made jokes about Romeo and Juliet in the process. She also continued to improve her drawing abilities.

She now writes short stories and poems for fun and if you do not believe me than read the literature on this account.
© Copyright 2010 Patrisha Green (pokegirl302 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725339-A-Girl-With-Dyslexia