*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725565-Can-video-Games-really-do-this-Im-ing
Rated: E · Other · Writing.Com · #1725565
i'm writing for the heck of it, i'll come back to it later to finish it
Children are like vacuum cleaners, absorbing the media around them. Children tend to be more entertained towards the violent side of the media. Jason is a man who is 25 years of age that lives with his father and stepmother. He would excessively play video games for hours each day. He had a social life in the beginning but as he began isolating himself and started falling deeper into the world of video games. He soon found himself with fewer friends; and more online player friends which he had never met or seen in his life. For years he let himself spiral down a vortex of video games. Recently he was tested for social disorders, and he was considered to be anti-social, however a few years earlier nothing was psychologically wrong with him. It was because he isolated himself into the virtual world of video games. 

                            Video games have become a part of the world’s culture. The video game industry has developed into a multi-billion behemoth. It all started in 1977 when our culture commenced by widening the horizon in the world of entertainment. Before 1977 we had simple arcade games, radio and television. When Atari 2600 was released to the public on October 1977, it was all the rage to people because it was the first multi-gaming console. Most humans were blinded on the negative issues of violent video games. Through the decades the silent issue on violent video games would eventually corrupt most of our youth; however, today it’s not a quite issue anymore. Over the years, video games have had an inordinate impact on our or your adolescence, and even adults in some cases. It’s unfortunate that we live in such a violent world today. Video games have tallied up to the phenomenal growth of violence. The negative effects that violent video games have caused are aggressive thoughts and behaviors, disobediences or criminal behaviors, issues can arouse at home and school, can lead to obesity, a child could develop “pathologically gaming”, but the most disturbing is that violent video games can affect the development of a child’s or teenager’s brain.

Teens waste time by indulging themselves into senseless violent video games. VVG have contributed to the rise in violence because youth are desensitized to violence, they objectify human life, and they fail to recognize the lack of a reset button in real life. [    ] Researchers say that violent video games have a vast impact on a majority of adolescents. They warn that violent games can be more harmful because they are interactive, and they require the player to identify with the aggressive characters. In most case with violent video games the player learns to associate violence with pleasure. When playing games your biochemistry, does in fact change. Your brain releases dopamine, which is similar to doing cocaine or heroin. Chemicals called glucocorticiods and catecholamies can be produced, which are stress hormones. Players often stress if they fail at a mission or the game itself. Epimephrine is a hormone that is released while playing an exciting game. However Epimephrine can also cause stress, anger, fear, it can increase your heart rate, and blood pressure. Over time a child will be desensitized to the violence presented before their own eyes. Then they begin to build a tolerance toward the violence. In order for them to feel the chemical release they desire, and to feel the excitement they begin increasing their time spent on video games. Majority of the time they have to explore new games and or develop new skills.  Aggression.

Also constant exposure to such malicious graphics can also cause viewers to perceive the world as more violent then it is and also normalizes using violence as the best solution to solve conflict. In a study conducted in 2005 by the American Psychological Association had called for a reduction in violence in video games and other interactive media maturated to children and the youth. It cited research showing that exposure to violence in video games increased aggressive thoughts and behaviors, and more angry feeling develop among the youth. The Columbine massacre for example that was on April 20, 1999 at columbine high school.

Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, who were two gunman and students at Columbine high, carried out an murderous rampage which had started outside the school and ended inside the schools south side of the library. Thirteen students had been killed during the chaotic rampage, and the massacre had finally ended when Harris and Klebold had both shot themselves in the head. The acumen to why they might have contrived this murderous act could have been perhaps they had been bullied at school. They were not the most popular students and in fact there had been reports of the two boys being bullied while they had attended Columbine High School.  With the mix of violent video games played for hours on end for days at a time, violent movies, problematic parents, depression and much more. Knowing that video games can cause a child to become angry, depressed, aggressive, stress, and lose lack of sleep; it seems to be a mix of all the wrong things.  And violent video games tend to show a different side one of the alleged gunmen had written a blog or weblog couple of hours before the shooting had begun stating he likes to play super columbine massacre RPG among any other video game.  Both the Columbine shooters' pursuit through the hallways and their arsenal reminds me of "Doom", a VVG with a first person point of

view of walking through hallways and slaughtering anything you meet. [    ]

Parents are usually to blame.  They need to supervise their children and provide guidance.  They should provide alternative entertainment that both encourages academics, and promotes physical

and mental health.[    ] video games should not be a babysitter.  In cases like 18 year old Devin Moore was arrested for stealing a car, he gripped his hand on one of the officer’s pistol. Then he gunned down three officers in less than a minute. Devin had never been scene with a gun, nor did he own a gun, however he play grand theft auto for hours.  Games can teach a person to have patients, a steady hand to shoot with, and increase per visual views. Critics, parents, and some psychologist are concerned with “first person shooters” games because the play is more interactive with the character. Often sometimes the play becomes more in tuned with the character. They start losing sense of reality, letting themselves to be engulfed into the Fantasy world of video games. Postponing their obligation’s in life. 



                Women are portrayed negatively in most video games.  Matured rated video games often expose woman in a disrespectful manners, such as disturbing sexual behaviors and violent ways. In Grand theft Auto the player can engage in sexual activities with a prostitute, and throughout the game the player can unlock porno graphic content. Women are portrayed as items or viewed in sexual misconduct. Games that tend to advertise females in rude sexual manners rub off on the youth (mainly boys).  Not only are women sexually disrespected, but woman are often physically and mentally abused. Violent video games are teaching young children (mainly boy), that it is acceptable to act out in rude behaviors towards women.  With the commodity model, women control what men want, and this impotence leads to aggression in men and their desire to take what they want.  If manifested, the aggression, fostered by desensitization and objectification, leads to rape, an act that is certainly violent, but has more to do with power and feelings of control. [  ] Video games seem to have a excellent way of presenting women in wrong manners. Like, Lara Croft, she is in kick butt shape, taking on everything that comes her way, awhile looking sexy and untouched. Most young teens more then likely fantasies about her character in the their dreams, but of course that’s not that unknowingly uncommon.  Grand Theft Auto is another game in which players can unlock, pornographic cartoon images; which are not suitable for young viewers, but they view it.  Our society, and they way women are fiew, often give boys the wrong idea on how to treat women. Woman’s images changed from conservative to pro





         Is there a correlation between video games and the obesity rate rising? In fact the obesity rate has risen, just alone in the United States about 40 percent of children between five and eight years of age are considered to be clinically obese. On average one to three kids are considered overweight, because in some cases most of a child’s time is spent on playing video games, watching television, incorporating “couch potatoism” into daily life then suppose to exercising. Face it, the harsh reality kids today do not tend to eat a healthy diet, there more likely to eat junk food or processed food that isn’t healthy. Perhaps it is because gamers like to find the fastest and easiest way to fuel their bodies, and junk food is more convenient. In fact there has been studies on children who eat junk food supposed to a child who ate healthy and organically.  It’s been provided in recent studies that healthy eating habits actually helps your brain to develop more adequate. Healthy foods have been known to be brain food; you are essentially what you eat.  Our brains need necessary minerals, vitamins, amino acid, whole grains, monounsaturated fat, etc. here is how this all connects; violent video games can cause stress, and stress increases your blood pressure. High blood pressure isn’t healthy for your brain, because it’s not getting enough blood flow to work to it maximum ability. Also overweight children tend to be at a high risk of developing and having to face high blood pressure, liver trouble, diabetes, and even psychological problems.  Not until recently the video game industry has come out with more physical interaction games.  The Wii and the Xbox have connection sensors which mimics the player’s movement, allowing the player to interact physically than suppose to only mentally. Now player can interact with games and get a work out all at the same time. See the trick is to trick your child with physical entertainment. Like DDR, which stand for Dance Dance Revolution.  The objective of the game is to dance while hitting all the squares that light up. Over all though this game proved to be a excellent aerobic activity for kids. In 2004 West Virginia provided the video game DDR to its middle school physical education curriculum. Not only did this provide healthy exercising for kids, but also boosted brain power.

In other study which were conducted by Iowa state university team. Stated that kids who sat in front of the screen for more than two hours each day, were more likely to display attention problems in the classroom.  It’s like a triangle of unwanted things, obesity in one corner, and the junk food damaging your bran, and too much screen time can cause attention issues. in a recent study by the California Department of education found that students who did just ten minutes of rhythmic aerobics before a standardized test performed up to 25 percent better then the students who received 20 minutes of test- specific tutoring. 

         Video games can cause a child to start developing anti-social behaviors. Anti social behavior is when a person is unwillingly to associate in a normal or friendly way to others.  Antisocial is a chronic mental illness which can develop early on in life or in adulthood. With a staggering 70 percentage of American teen boys have played violent and adult rated video games. Grand theft auto video games seem to attract teens, mainly boys each year with its 360 degree circle of chaotic drama and violence. Grand theft auto presents gang violence as a glorified accomplishment. Researchers have found that exposure to violent media can lead to aggressive behaviors, anxiety, bullying and desensitization. Also grand theft auto has porno graphic content that can be unlocked on the game, Afterwards you can steal a car or start shooting a people a police officers.  Antisocial behaviors include impulsively, thoughtlessly jeopardizing the safety of others or themselves.  The person can become manipulative, more prone to breaking rules and laws, physical aggressive, and are willing to hurt others with or animals emotionally and physically with no remorse in return.  According to some studies, individual with antisocial behavior disorders are responsible for almost half the crimes committed, and considering they only make up five percent of the human population. 

Is it possible for a person to become addicted and even obsessed with video games, in which they act out in violent crimes? Yes, in this one incident that was on September 7, 2006 a man named Tyrone Spellman 27 years of age was convicted for the killing of his own 17 month-old daughter Alayiah Turman. He had bashed her two times in the face with his fist, cracking her skull, and throwing her body onto a wooden chair, with only a few cushions to break her fall. Basically her brain had drowned in her own fluids and bloods. It all started because she accidently pulls the cord out of his Xbox console.  This man had played video games for hours on end each day, and he also was abusing drugs.  It would be foolish not to think video game exposure affects our society around us. People are influenced by the media in multiple aspects of life.

Our actions and emotions can be uncontrollable from time to time. However for Daniel Petric, 17 years of age shot his parents on October 2007 for confiscating his Halo three game. He was obsessed with Halo three, playing up to 18 hours at a time when given a chance. The day his game was taken the following night he took his dads pistol and shot his mother and father. Unfortunately the mother died and the dad lived to testify against his son. See this could have been avoid if the parent would have monitored their child’s time spent playing, or check to see if the rating were suitable for the child. However videogames are not one hundred percent to blame, sometimes it could be the child’s mental state. That is why it is crucial for parent to monitor the kid’s media around them. 

Kids and even adults can become dependent solely on videogames in order to receive some gratification of intoxicating enjoyment. However, psychologists have discovered that some humans they can develop “pathological gaming”. This means a person who excessively plays video games. There are many reasons to why they become so attached because they might be dealing with depression, might be performing poorly in school, or any other reasons that could be potentially stressful. A recent study conduct at Singapore with 3,034 students from grade three to grade eight found that 7.9-9.9 percent of those in the study could be classified as pathological gamer.



The brain is a unique system of nerves. Basically everything starts with the brain then fans out to the body.  It’s important to keep our brains in decent condition. In fact a human brain isn’t fully developed until the age of 26.  In recent brain scans the results showed that violent games activated the anger center of the teenager’s brain dampening their conscience. Studies have proven the more a child plays video games, the poorer their performance in school becomes. Scientists at Japan’s Tohoku University said they’ve found that games stimulate only those parts of the brain devoted to vision and movement and do not aid the development of other important areas of the brain. The researchers are particularly concerned that by spending many hours playing games some children will not develop their frontal lobes, which play’s a crucial role in controlling behavior and in developing memory, emotion and learning.  Everyone loves an adrenaline rush every now and then. Video games can produce just that for some individuals.  Over time they find themselves spend more hours on playing video games and also more money spent on new video games. They have to fulfill themselves with more excitement and achievement in order to feel the rush.  Eventually they find themselves in somewhat of an addiction toward the rush they get off from violent video games. People turn solely towards games for convert, because they might be depressed, stressed out, or anxious about something in their life. The gamer often turns towards games to escape from reality or any unwanted issues.

 





© Copyright 2010 Jessica Lynn Smith (jessiebell4u at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1725565-Can-video-Games-really-do-this-Im-ing