*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726050-The-Scorpion
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1726050
A highly descriptive piece, with deceptive weather in a bleak place.
It's raining, heavily, my hair plastered against my skull & my lips chapped from persistent winds. The horizon lies outstretched before me, sparsely decorated. There's one tree in particular, that seems intent on being in my way and as I stand and stare, I imagine how it must've started its life, blind, confused & alone, yet somehow knowing that its only means of survival was to find the sun.



I picture a meek shoot, valiently pushing through the loose scree littering the ground & that first, orgasmic taste of sunlight.



Arriving under the branches of the tree, desperate for some shade amidst this bleak and desolate place, the sun screaming down at me like a hawk, I spy a scorpion, taking my measure.



Turning my gaze on him, I manage to resolve a number of eyes & some efficient looking jowls before all I can focus on is the stinger dancing on the air. Looking for all the world like a teardrop suspended above a pit of tar. I see a single bead of poison, glisten on the tip and then, quick as the wind, the scorpion was gone. Suddenly, seemingly, I was alone beneath the branches of a mighty oak, which started its life as nothing more than a shoot, so many years ago.
© Copyright 2010 vermillion (yertle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726050-The-Scorpion