*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726436-Glowing-Dusk
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Tragedy · #1726436
A destructive hotel fire. Seen through the eyes of a fire fighter.
Glowing Dusk
SUNDAY 12/02/95
TEN FIFTEEN P.M
145 Mid Way Pass. This was it. We jumped out of the safety of our vehicle, sirens roaring. I looked right, then I slowly pivoted my head to the left as I observed the Smokey flames spewing deadly toxins into the night sky.
The dolphin hotel was up in flames. I could see men, woman and children swarming out of the mouth of this brick walled beast. I could hear the screams and shrieks of the two thousand trapped civilians leaking through every crack and hole possible.
My heart was punching deep holes through my chest, I began to stumble and loose balance due the thick smoke and searing heat.
“Sergeant Williams: SERGEANT WILLIOMS!”, still dazed by the toxins, I looked round to see a blurry man in a florescent yellow jacket, he threw me an old worn gas mask which had my name written in chalk on the side of it, I stumbled forward to catch it, almost falling over in the process. I then looked down at it as I snaked my sweaty, sticky fingers through the leather strap. I cautiously placed the mask over my head and then stood silent for a second, when I regained total consciousness I pulled my bright yellow sleeve back, to reveal my brand new watch.
TEN THIRTY FIVE P.M.
My mission was simple: rescue as many survivors as possible.
Simple?
Well, that’s what the staff sergeant said.
I was rounded up with a squad of five, and was then given more precise instructions, we were too enter through the front door, then proceed to the main hall on the first floor and use the staircases to reach each level . Each squad was given a specific floor to search, mine was floor number THIRTEEN A.
TEN FORTY P.M
My squad and I set off toward the mouth of the beast. As we got closer, the screams and shrieks got louder. We then reached the mouth; I turned my head round the corner and peered through the thick black sea of smoke. I could make out a long hallway, ninety foot long, eight foot wide.
On the word: ‘go’, my squad and I positioned ourselves in a single line formation and stormed through the hall way. I could hear crashing, but see nothing. The hotel jolted and shuddered as it recreated the dramatic events of an earth quake. As I neared the end of the hallway, the smoke, faded slightly, but only enough to see the lights flicker wildly above my head. I could feel the rubble falling as it rattled my helmet. With the final few steps we exited the hall way, the thick smoke faded immediately as it spiralled into the blackened vents in the corner of the main hall.
The walls where at least thirty foot high with bright orange flames climbing up the wall paper, I watched as they ripped it off bit by bit. The crusted glowing residue was constantly fluttering to the ground. I saw twisting stair cases reaching out to nearly every floor in the building, and there it was, my eyes followed the third twisting staircase as it spiralled to floor number thirteen A.
We ran across the once beautiful marble tiles that where now just rubble on the floor. My squad and I where then rounded up in the centre of the main hall, the staff sergeant readied himself to give orders but just as he was clearing his throat, he was rudely interrupted by the loud noise a sunken ship makes as it creaks on the sea bed, we all dived for cover as we where deafened by the noise, I pressed my hands into the cooler wet floor to help push myself to my feet, I stood straight and looked around me. The walls where crippled and destroyed by the fire, water was spewing out of every where as pipes where splitting through the walls and my squad was still lying on the floor. I leant down to give a hand when the whole building decided to move again. Large crystal chandeliers broke loose as the ceiling shuddered, they whizzed and rattled through the air, before exploding into tiny fragments of glass shrapnel, I tensed up and lifted one leg in the air when they ripped holes throughout my fire proof coat, exposing bare skin to the searing heat, I clutched my sides as I yelled out in pain.
Another jolt! Once again I looked up, a large fracture cut the ceiling in half, large rods of iron and timber landed next to me with a loud clash, I shouted run as my squad clambered to their feet.
Instincts kicked in, time had sort of slowed down as my mind was taking in more information than ever, as I ran for the nearest corridor, I watched every splash my feet made as they penetrated the watery surface of the main hall floor, throwing up a pitter patter of water droplets behind me. When I neared the long corridor I twisted round, and took my last few steps backward only to watch my squad disappear amongst the fiery rubble of the second floor.
I was thrown back by the force of the collapsed floor when it threw dust and dirt up into the air vents of my gas mask, I immediately ripped it off when I started choking, and I then dropped to the ground to take a deep breath of clean air. I held it in as I stood up and spun round, it was like the hallway, a thick black sea of smoke. I could see a glowing exit sign at the end of the corridor, I made a run for it, as I thought I was getting out of this, maybe I was right, maybe I’d be more at peace in hell.
I was almost at the green sign but the hotel roared again as it took its biggest and final shake. I was knocked to the ground, I had no air left, but I was urged to run, I took my last stand, I ran clumsily closer and closer to the exit while using the walls to keep myself up. I dodged a few falling bricks and pipes as I eyed up the exit door. One last final push. I sprinted at the door. Let out a yell and finally twisted round wile I split though the black wood of the door.
I stumbled a few feet out side and crashed into the sweet, sweet soil. I picked myself up as the hotel crumbled in the middle before folding at the sides.
I observed the wreckage for about five minutes. My eye sight started to become distorted and finally started to blacken as I lost my balance.
ELEVEN P.M
THUD!
The next morning I woke up in a cold room, with the smell of flowers and soil. I could feel my heart beat softly but couldn’t hear a noise. It was quiet. I took in a deep breath of air and all of a sudden could feel my heart beating harder and harder but when I breathed out there was no relief. I breathed faster and faster and yet couldn’t calm my heart.
I immediately opened my eyes as I began to choke but all I could see was blackness. I stood up, almost paralysed by my lack of air so started beating the walls,
The crippled walls. the choking charcoal black walls.

It appeared that my nightmare was not yet over.

Dean Barbour 11A2


I wrote this as a homework when I was 14 and it was my first "proper" short storey.
© Copyright 2010 Dean Barbour (deanb724 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726436-Glowing-Dusk