*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726489-A-Deafening-Hush
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Death · #1726489
John enters his home for the first time after the loss of his wife Sarah
As the garage door slowly closes, John’s emotions are trapped within.  He sits motionless for an unknown duration.  He ponders decades of memories, trying to comprehend what now waits. With an elongated exhale he wearily exits the car. John approaches the familiar door, which until now, has never once obstructed his way.  His eyes stare down at the threshold, head and shoulders slumped. His hand reaches forward and takes hold of the slightly chilled knob. Patiently and ever so gentle, he gives it a turn.  The door emits a shallow gasp and John pensively enters their home. Walking a few paces he comes to a rest.  Motionless, John closes his eyes and waits....he prays his ears will hear the accustomed creek of the floor boards as Sarah comes his way. He hopes his nose will detect her light fragrant scent.  He wishes for the hairs on the back of his neck to tingle as she wraps her arms around his torso in a loving embrace.  John breathes delicately in an attempt not to scare any sign of Sarah away.  But he is only enveloped in silence.  He stands in dense air that has not been churned since he left for the day.  John's knees buckle and his eyes blur with tears.  The deafening hush of the home a palpable reminder that Sarah is no longer here.
© Copyright 2010 Montovani (edmonto19 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726489-A-Deafening-Hush