*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726612-For-the-love-of-fashion
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Young Adult · #1726612
Elle has been assigned to go under cover and see if she can find love in college.
“Good morning, sleepy folks! It is a beautiful sunny Monday morning. I can smell fresh coffee and you know it‘s time for work. Haha. I’m Ted Riley. And this 94.1.”

I’m all out of love….I’m so lost without you. I knew you were right….

I groaned and stretched my left arm and hit the snooze button to shut the alarm clock up. Love. I hate love. Never felt it. Never had it. Except my parents who show me love every day. But they’re traveling the world. Probably somewhere in the middle of Egypt by now.

Well, today is the first day of my life. I am now out of high school with a diploma. No job. Again. I have never quite have a success with finding a job. It was either they’re full or they just don’t want another person to split the money. And it’s December. Yep, that long.

Greeeaat.

My parents left me with a trust fund of two thousand dollars a month because, well, they’re rich; and they can do anything they want since they own five nail and spa salons named after me. Ellen’s Nails and Spa. Nice, huh?

Well, not really. I mean, who would leave their eighteen year old daughter on a two-thousand dollar trust fun and just leave? I haven’t been spending it much lately. Too busy paying for my apartment rent that cost, oh about, nine hundred and ninety-five a month. Expensive, yes. But it’s for the good of me. My parents wants the best for me, and I’ve got it. Since it’s Monday morning, like Ted Riley said, I might as well sleep in; but since I can’t because I have to go look for a job, I am forced to get up.

If you’re wondering why would I need a job with a trust fund that could make a kid with an allowance of five bucks a day jealous, it’s because, well, I don’t want to feel like a lazy bum. There ya go.

I yawned, stretched lazily, swung both my legs over the bed, slipped my foot into my pink house slippers, and walked to the bathroom. I didn’t need to check how I look. Long crazy black hair. Brown Asian eyes. Strong stubborn chin that I got from my dad. Also some Mexican heritage that I also got from my dad.

I always knew I wasn’t fully Asian, since my eyes were a little bit bigger than most kids’. I just didn‘t look..asian. Adding to that note, I was boobless.

I turned on the shower to lukewarm while stripping my Scooby Doo pajamas off to toss them in the hamper and stepped in the shower. After the shower, I stepped back out to my room wearing only a towel to walk into my closet.

“Let’s see what we’re going to wear today. Oh, wait, nothing because I suck at fashion and styling.” I muttered to myself while going through each piece of clothing. I decided to pick a black long sleeve t shirt with dark blue jeans. And by the looks outside of the window, I picked a nice jacket to go with a white scarf. After doing the jean dance, I wrapped the scarf around my neck and tied my hair into a messy bun. No makeup. Hey, it’s Monday. Everyone’s suppose to look crappy.

I grab the car keys off the dresser and walked down stairs to grab an apple for breakfast. I looked around the living room that was painted in such a bland color; it hurts my eyes to look at it. Once I was finished eating, I stepped out, locking the door behind me.

“Ellen, nice to see you. With no makeup again.” The landlord, Bitch – I mean, Becky – sneered at me. Becky has dirty blonde hair that she always puts in a tight bun that made her forehead seems bigger than it actually is. Today she is wearing just a white tank top and jeans. Thank god, she does not have that smelly cancer stick in her mouth.

“Hi, Becky. Yes, with no makeup. I don’t have time to make myself look pretty. Too much can cause me to break out.”

“It wouldn’t hurt to put on a little bit of foundation or lip gloss-”

“Goodbye Becky.” I announced, taking the elevator.

“Damn woman. Gets on my nerves.” I muttered when the elevator door closed. Light music played while the numbers went all the way from five to one. The doors opened with a ding, and I stepped out.

“Good morning, Miss Lee.” The receptionist said, smiling at me. I smiled back. “Morning, Mike. Beautiful day.”

Mike, a nice receptionist the first day I moved in the apartment. He always liked me because of my eyes and smile. How did I know? He wrote a 3 page long on what he liked about me and it was my eyes and smile that stood out the most to him. For 5 months, he has been trying to ask me out and sadly, he is not succeeding.

“Yes, well, I was wondering if you are doing anything tonight.”

Here we go again.

“…there’s this band that’s going to be playing at the Philips Arena and-”

I turned around, giving him a small but sympathetic smile. “That sounds really wonderful, Mike. It really does. But you know me. I don’t stay out after ten. I have a beauty sleep.”

Mike’s face went from hopeful to sad. “Right. I understand.”

“I’m sorry Mike. Maybe a small coffee talk sometime?”

“Of course.”

I smiled at him again and walked to the parking lot to retrieve my car. My….black dented crappy truck. One of the valets appeared was standing there, probably on his break.

“I’ve never seen a girl drive a truck before.” He said to me. He had black hair that looks like it hasn't been comb in months. Is he serious? That’s the best pickup line he ever use?

“It makes me feel powerful and manly, and that I can run over people like you, and not get a stain.” He got the message and shut up right after that. I unlocked the front door and slid in, shutting it after me. The truck roared to life and I leaned back, happy that it is still alive and disappointed that it is still alive. I hate this truck.

I drove to Starbucks and found a parking space near the shop
The smell of fresh roasted coffee made me feel warm inside and outside. Monday mornings can be very cold but when you have a cup of coffee, everything‘s all right. Before I knew it, I was next in line.

“Hi, what would you like?”

“Regular, black please.” I put my purse on the counter to take out my wallet as soon as she came back with my coffee.

“$3.75.”
I handed her the money while putting my wallet back in, zipping my purse up. Come to mama. I picked up the hot coffee and sipped it. Okay, well time to start looking for a job. This is going to be a pain in the a-

Hot coffee. It does not go well with clothes and skin. No, it’s not on me. It’s on the most important person in the world. Josephina Garcia. Editor-in-chief of Love & Glamour magazine.
© Copyright 2010 Nini Nguyen (leilani457 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1726612-For-the-love-of-fashion