*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727714-The-Forgotten-Realms---Chapter-1
by Sem
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1727714
The continuing story of how a young half-Elf became the "Ledgend of Aegis"
The Forgotten Realms of Airia






Prologue

Chapter one




         Startled I awoke, a bright vivid flash of green light hurtled across my little cottage and hit the back wall, I stood there stunned and unable to move, I was an orphan, my parents were killed by goblin raiders when I was only 3 years of age, of course I don't remember them but the folks in the village always assured me they were lovely people, often repeateing the line 'Oh, you look so much like your mother Gloria, oh she was a lovely woman, I remember when...' and then they were off, there was no way to stop the conversation after that sentence was uttered, it seems almost rude if I were to stop them mid sentence, I get the feeling that they thought it was comforting for me to hear good things about my parents, but i beg to differ, it was quite annoying hearing the same story over and over but with minor changes, actually to be completely honest, I didn't care much about not having parents arounds, I mean I had Nonii, she was kind of like a parent figure, well not really, more of an aunt or family friend, whatever you wanted to call her, she kept me alive and fed me at least.

         The green flash had left an indent in my wall and the straw surrounding was singed, it had missed me by seconds, and I was glad, I didn't fancie dieing right then and there. I ran out my front door, it was a battle field, blood filled the cracks and crevices on the dry earthy ground, smashed armor and broken shields lay aloft in the grass, as weapons flung everywhere; Cottages and huts were burning, children were being hugged by parents and crusaders rounded them up to kill them one by one, the Clerics of the village trying to heal everyone and the Druids angrily shooting spells for destroying the nature of the forest... Somehow I wasn't shocked about this turn of event, you could almost say I was expecting it.



         I had been hearing things for a while about the goblin crusaders coming in closer to attack, of course nobody believed they would get ths far, they were stupid creatures as far as anybody knew, or so they thought, off in the distance we would often see sparks and smoke from our village square, the Fighters and Paladins assured us that no harm could come to the village for we were well hidden and our security was tight, but they couldn't have been more wrong... Far away in that distance the goblins were planning their attack, they knew we were here, well I knew it anyway, I had seen glimpses of them in the trees, apparently they aren't too great at hiding. When I told the elders of the town they of course didn't believe me, 'Don't be silly Lila, theres no goblins around these parts.' or 'They wouldn't be smart enough to climb these mountains without help.' But now they were here, the crusaders had finally made their move. I thought the Paladins and Fighters would never have let this happen, they were strong and trained for events like this, how could the crusaders get into the town with our men guarding every opening into the village? But then I remembered, when I saw those goblins in the trees, how could they get that far, the Paladins were guarding the forest entrance... "Unless.." I looked over at the trees, sure enough a trail of destruction blazed through the forest showing a path, the Druids of course were apparently not at all happy about that. I ran through the trees to the spot that I thought might put the piece back in the puzzle, one, two, three, four... I looked up from the ground and sure enough, where there should have been a solid wall dividing us from the outside world was a pile of rubble and debris, I sighed and noticed a glimpse of something shiny out of the corner of my eye, I walked towards it and noticed it was rather large, it must had been something the goblins left behind, as I stepped closer to it I realized it was a sword, not just any sword but a long sword created by the greatest blacksmith of all time 'Gahn Roe', although he had passed away centuries ago.

         As I examined the fine workman ship of the sword I noticed a engraving etched into the handle, 'Lila Venetta, Legend of Aegis', I had never seen this sword before let alone knew why or how it bore my name, the sword had evident nicks and scratches and stained blood that had obviously been in use for generations, I had a slight feeling that the sword wasn't left by the goblins after all. I held the handle high in the sky and felt a twinge of bravery, so this is what it felt like...

     

         As I had been an orphan child, I matured rather fast, I had watched the trainees in the town take on tasks to be the noble Paladins and brave Fighters that they were today, I had watched all their moves and practiced in my cottage, but of course Lady's aren't allowed to be Fighters so I was no use there, I ended up apprenticing as a blacksmith, even thought that too was frowned apon, but I knew the ins and outs of the trade and would know if I were to be fooled, and this sword that I was holding in my grasp was no fake, on the contrary, it was as real as the arm on my body. As I realised where I was, I thought if I didn't move quick, this 'arm on my body' would be no more if I kept gagling at this sword.

I stood there gazing out of the gaping hole in the wall, it looks as if ash was gathering on the now blackened grass but the surrounding bricks bore no marks of burning or fire, "It was a spell."  I jumped as I heard the voice, "You startled me." I replied getting my breath back "What kind of spell?" I asked quickly, "A spell gone wrong, gobins never where never the best at magic."  the stranger airily replied, seeing the puzzled expression on my face she said "I believe they were trying to transport them selfs through the wall, they must have gotten it mixed up with a fire spell though, but thats just a guess at the way they came in, they looked rather shocked after the wall tumbled down and killed some of their own, pathetic things." I scanned the debris and sure enough there was a lifeless goblin or two in little to no armor crushed under the brimstone bricks. I looked at the stranger, she looked as if she couldn't be older than myself, she had light aurbun orange hair and a flowing pale green hooded cloak, her eyes were a startling dark green, they reminded me of cats eyes, she also weilded a wooden staff with a green gem perched on the top, it wasnt a fancy staff, but it was pretty the way the middle of the gem sparkled with a golden glisp, and then I noticed her ears, she was a half elf, like me, witch I assume contributed to her size, lankyness and chisled good looks, it was generic. I snapped out of my daydreaming "Wait, you saw them come in?" I snapped, "Ya, I was standing right here when I heard incantations and hid behind that tree." The stranger pointed at a tree a few meters away, "What did they do when they came in?" I asked anxieously, "Well, not much really, I was more focused not being spotted, but there was a lot of grunting, and there seemed to be a leader, err a sharman of some kind." she replied.

"A shaman?"

"Yeah a shaman, I assume it was he who conjured the spell."

"Wait, what were you doing near here anyway, you didn't partisapate in helping them did you?"

"Don't be ridiculous, those cowardly retched things murdered my parents, I would rather be sent to the nine hells than help them."

"I see we have something in common. But why were you out here?"

"Well im a druid, so I dwell here in the forest where i feel most at home. And you? You have yet to tell me who you are barging into the forest un-announced, I'm assuming you are not druid yourself?" She jacked up,

"No not exactly, long story short I wanted to see where the goblins came from, and now I have my answer."

"Ahh, I thought you were a Fighter of some sort, the way your carrying that sword of yours."

"My what? Oh yeah..."

I looked down at my right hand where my hand was still clutching the handle on the shimmering sword. "'Lila Venetta' Is that your name?" The druid asked after examining my sword with her cat like eyes for a some time, "Ah yeah, thats me." I answered,

"You etched that onto your sword?"

"Err, no I found this sword here actually."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Yeah it was just lying there."

"How perculiar, it wasn't there before."

"Well stranger things have happened."

"Oh and by the way, I'm Lilly, Lilly Maoinio." Lilly smiled. "Nice to meet you." I said, as I returned the smile.



'BANG WOOOOMMMMPPPHHH'

Lilly and myself, turned around quickly just in time to witness the massive explosion and flames that were where the village was, we glanced at each other and then ran toward the now smoking area, as we drew nearer to the village we could hear the shrieks and screams growing louder and the horrible grawfled hark of the goblins laughing.

We entered the gates and to our horror, discovered that there was no one left, every house was burnt to a crisp, the blood filled cracks now overflowing; creating pools of bright red thick liquid with people sprawled across them and their weapons disdainfully resting in their cold dead hands, "There's nothing left." I cried, "Another spell gone wrong I assume." Sighed Lilly, I followed her gaze, a few meters away there was evident remains of goblins and a worg rider with little to no injury other than the singed clothing and burnt skin.

"A worg rider?" I gasped.

"I was just thinking that myself." Lilly replied.

"But, wouldn't that mean they were working with the goblins?"

Lilly looked at me with a worried face, "I certainly hope not, lets just hope he was the only one, shall we?" With that I agreed and sullenly nodded my head.

A sudden surge of grievence flooded my conciounsness as I thought of Nonii, the children and all of the Paladins and Fighters.

"Are you alright?" Lilly asked

I snapped out of my gaze and nodded, the last thing on my mind was to cry.

"Are you alright?" I asked back,

She hadn't taken her eyes off me yet and seemed to be in her own world, so I just stood in silence until she suddenly said, "The Weeping Widow." "Huh?" I replied sounding miffed. "Oh umm..." She seemed to be re-thinking something, apparently something very confusing, by the look on her face and puzzled expression.

"The Weeping Widow." She repeated after another moment of silence. "See its a ship that transports goods from Lagos to the docks of Rilee, I've heard word that merchinary gangs often go aboard to try their business in Rilee because its alright pay for little to no work." She stared through the open gates of our town in the direction of Lagos.

Lagos is a very renowned town off in the northwest of our village, I have traved there quite regulary to sell armor and weapon supplies for the blacksmith. Lagos is full of mercinarys and trading stalls, some are ligit and others not so much, but the poeple are of plenty and ale is good.

I glanced back from my stare back to Lilly who continued on with her talking as if she hadn't paused for long period of time.

"My dad knew the sailor, Hugo, and I think that if I mentioned his name, we may get a free trip up there.."

"Wait.." I cut in, "What do you mean we?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Well, what I mean is umm, theres been word that Rilee has been under seige lately and since this village and everything we own and know is gone, whats the harm in traveling over to Rilee and earn some cash for a bit of investigation?" Lilly had a gleam in her eye, wich assured me this wasn't the first time shes thought this through.

I stammed for a short while and stared back at what previously was battle field and formally a village. I looked down at my hand wich was still holding the gleaming sword, that yet again I had forgotten about, and felt a surge of reletfulness.

"Lets go." I said out of the blue.

Lilly jumped, my sudden responce must have suprised her. "To Rilee?" She replied hopefully.

"To Rilee." I answered.

Lilly seemed to have instantly lit up, she started an incantaction that startled me and made me put my gaurd up before I reliesed that she was conjouring a high pressure water stream from her hands, the water gushed over the remainder of the trees that were still ablaze, then she grinned at me. "Ready to go?" She said, "Oh umm, yeah, nice magic by the way." I said as I started to walk towards the entrance of the village, Lilly mearly kept grinning and followed me out of the village and down the trail where Lagos lied.

© Copyright 2010 Sem (racoo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727714-The-Forgotten-Realms---Chapter-1