*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1728045-The-Map
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1728045
This is a short story I wrote in a day. Would love to know what people think
Arnold didn’t notice the grey hairs breeding above his ears. He didn’t notice the faded colour of his skin or the sagging under his chin. He had forgotten the weeping that had haggard his face, even as he stretched his cheek with his left hand to make smooth strokes with the razor in his right he had no recollection of things ever being any different.
“No daddy you can’t do it, just like always” The blue eyes would sing at him every time they went swimming. But still he’d always try to bury the inflatable ball on the bottom of the pool. She loved that game. “ It always wants to come up, no matter how much you push it down.”
A creased shirt from the day before. A nylon suit that was too long for his short arms. A tie that either made him an insurance sales man or a bank manager. Coffee and toast in a room that screamed silence, silence he could not hear.
“What are you drawing this time.” He asked. “ A map” replied the little person who’s hair was slowly dripping onto the hardback book she was leaning on, her feet resting on the dashboard. “What are you writing today daddy?”
“Something that might pay the bills.” Then tickling her under the arm he added. “that would make your mother happy.”
Checking the clock. Fresh cup for the road. The echo of his footsteps on wood as he walked to the door. A mild mannered saloon waiting for him ready to swallow him up.
The stopping and starting and then the soothing calm of the highway. The vibration in the palms of his hands, relaxing in his seat, support in the arch of his back. He thought he could hear the sound of violins but it was an illusion. For some reason he hadn’t turned on the radio.
Blue flashing white flashing and the rising tone of the first bleep of a siren.
“I understand sir” Said the torso to his right. “But I still need you licence and registration.”
Arnold snatched at the glove box fighting the tension in his seatbelt, and handed the torso the papers.
The officer leant down to the window and smiled “That’s very nice sir” He said in a warmer voice. “But I still need to see those documents “ . Arnold followed the hand as the policeman handed him back the paper. He unfolded it and bright colours of red and green filled his eyes. It was her map. She had left him a way to get home.


wordcount:431
© Copyright 2010 Jonny R Foxwell (jonnyrfoxwell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1728045-The-Map