*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729036-Three-Basic-Principles
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Religious · #1729036
Understanding the Bible becomes easy after learning these three basic principles.
Three Basic Priciples

The idea that the Bible is not subject to any private interpretation may seem difficult to accept based on popular Christian teachings. After all, it is commonly taught that it does not matter what you believe as long as you believe in Jesus. However, when one begins to understand what the Bible teaches, popular teachings loose their appeal. The counterfeit are revealed for what they truly are and the truth of the scriptures shine like a beacon drawing us toward God. We need only to take the time to understand the Bible. This may seem like a daunting task at first, but when you learn three basic principles, it becomes very simple.

God is the author, not man.

2 Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2 Ti 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The scriptures, or Bible, came to be by the "inspiration of God". The Greek term that is translated "inspiration of God" literally means "God breathed". In short, God breathed or communicated his message to man that he might be made perfect. His message is used for determining doctrine, for reproof or rebuke, for correction and instruction.

Since God is the author of the Bible and not man, it stands to reason that we must go to the Bible in order to determine what God wants us to know and what he expects us to do. One of the primary precepts of scripture is that God does not want us to change or reinterpret what he says.
2 Pe 1:20  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2 Pe 1:21  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

This concept is so relevant today because of "Moral Relativism", which states that right and wrong (or morality) is determined by our relative situation. So what might be right or wrong in one situation might not be so in another situation. It claims there are no "moral absolutes". However, according to the Bible, this is not true. There are moral absolutes such as "thou shall not lie, steel, commit murder, commit adultery...". These things never change. They are true in every situation.

Peter tells us that there is no private interpretation of the prophecy of scripture. An important aspect of prophecy is that it is a medium of instruction and not just to foretell future events. God used the prophets to instruct the kings of Israell as well as the people, and since all the writers of the Bible refer in some way to the prophets, either directly or indirectly, this has an application to all scripture because "all scripture is given by inspiration of God". Peter also identifies how these men were able to speak with such authority. They were moved or directed by the Holy Ghost. They were the messengers of God, delivering His instructions not their opinions.


No one scripture stands alone.
Far too often, we see those who build an entire doctrine around one or two verses from the Bible. These doctrines are invariably constructed in such away as to be in conflict with other scriptures. The result is confusion. Those who honestly try to understand what their teacher is saying, find themselves confused when they read the Bible to confirm the teaching. Many become discouraged, thinking they are unable to understand the Bible. In fact, it is not the student who is in error but the teacher.

1Co 14:33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

All scripture is in agreement and it is meant to be understood. No single verse of scripture stands alone but is built on the foundation of other verses that support the topic. Confusion comes from twisting scripture to teach what was never intended to be taught. This is nothing new. Peter saw this happening in his day and warns us concerning the writings of the apostle Paul.
2Pe 3:15 ...even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16  As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17  Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Peter says that men who are "unlearned and unstable" twist or "wrest" the scriptures into something that was never intended. He also says they do this "to their own destruction". It happened then and it also happens now. As for us, we must take special care not to be "led away" by those who wrest the scriptures.Their end is destruction. If we follow them, then our end will be the same.

The first principle we looked at states that "God is the author,  not man". The supporting scriptures were 2 Timothy 3:16-17 and 2 Peter 1:20-21. Using this as an example, let's look at some other scriptures.

Rev 22:18  For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Deu 4:2  Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Each of these scriptures describe the same thing. What God has stated cannot be changed by man. In fact, if man tries to change God's message its big trouble.

Gal 1:6  I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
Gal 1:7  Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8  But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Just as we are warned in the book of Revelation, we find similar warnings throughout the Bible. Don't change the word of God! In other words, there is no private or personal interpretation of the Bible and no one scripture stands alone. By relying the Bible to explain itself, we come to an understanding of exactly what God has intended to say.


God has the power and authority to command.
Joh 17:17  Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Throughout history countless numbers have turned to teachers seeking salvation. More likely than not, it seems, they turn to someone who tells them just what they want to hear. This was something the apostle Paul saw on the horizon when he wrote:
2Ti 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears

To follow after someone who tells you just what you want to hear is like buying the sizzle without the steak. It may sound good. It may even make your mouth water with anticipation, but when you go to take a bite, there's nothing there. You are left empty and unsatisfied. It is far better to search for and find the truth, even if it is difficult to hear, than to accept the pleasant words of a lie. The truth may be difficult and inconvenient, but if it is the only road that leads you home, shouldn't you take it?
Mat 7:13  Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

When confronted with the truth, many would rather cling to the traditions to which they have grown accustomed. There is a certain comfort in following familiar patterns. They offer a sense of stability. However, if these patterns are not established by the scriptures, then they are not approved by God.
Mat 15:6  Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Mat 15:7  Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
Mat 15:8  This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
Mat 15:9  But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

The traditions we keep must be commanded or demonstrated in the Bible. Then and only then do we know they are accepted by God. The will of God is the important thing, not our traditions. In fact, our traditions may keep us from God and may place our soul in jeopardy. Pay particular attention to Matthew 15:9. "But in vain they do worship me..." Vain worship is unprofitable or useless.
Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Vain worship is rejected by God. An example of this can be found in Genesis chapter four. Cain sought to worship God in his own way by offering the fruit of his labour as a sacrifice. This may appear to be good. However, God wanted a different kind of offering, and Cain found his sacrifice rejected.
Gen 4:7  If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door.

Instead of obeying God and following the example of his brother Able, who made an acceptable sacrifice, Cain became angry and resentful. He had, after all, given God what he thought was right and good. The problem is that what might seem good to man may not be good to God.
Jer 10:23  O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Pro 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.


Instead of trying to give God what we think is good, we should search the Bible to find what He actually requires. After all, the Bible is the book He wrote and contains all the information He wants us to know. There we find what God accepts and what He rejects. Since we know nothing about Him apart from what we read in the Bible, we should have a "thus saith the LORD" approach for everything concerning Him.
1Pe 4:11  If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God

When we search the scriptures to find what God wants, it is then just a matter of doing what He says to do. It is far better to obey than to try to impress Him with elaborate sacrifices and the appearance of self righteousness.
1Sa 15:22  And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Many people act like they know God and they have the appearance of Godliness. They sound convincing. But, if they don't agree with the Bible, they are in opposition to God.
Mat 23:28  Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Col 2:18  Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

God and God alone has the authority and the power to command. Who can say what He wants, apart from the commands and examples that He has given us in the Bible? Men may command us to do one thing or another, but God is the one we must obey.
Act 5:29  Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
Act 17:30  And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Within these three basic principles lies the tools to help us understand the Bible. Many so called teachers would not want you to know these principles because then you would not believe the false doctrines they peddle. You, however, can know the truth.
Jas 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
Mat 7:7  Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Joh 8:32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
© Copyright 2010 gwright05 (gwright05 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729036-Three-Basic-Principles