*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729057-Blue-Moon--Return-Of-The-Lycan
Rated: · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1729057
work in progress-Something evil is lurking in the woods of Pine River, Minnesota.
Prologue


         The full moon glimmered like a luminescent pearl. It was a brisk but clear night, ideal for the young couple who were parked near Eagle Cliff. They’d stumbled upon a deserted over-look, which gave them a  perfect view of the moon and the city lights of Pine River below.

         “Did you hear that?” Rachel Parker whispered, as she tried to dodge Conner Nelson’s  roving hands. It was their second date and she was kicking herself for letting him talk her into going for a “scenic drive”. Not that he wasn’t cute for a jock, with his steroid induced muscles and soft brown eyes; most of the girls at Pine River High would die for a date with him.  He was just too cocky and self centered for her tastes; plus his breath reeked of garlic and onions.
         
         Conner’s lips were suctioned to her neck and he mumbled something unintelligible against her skin.
         
         Irritated, she firmly pushed him away. “Conner, really I think I heard something. It sounded like a howl,” her pale blue eyes widened,” Do you think there could be wolves in the area?”

         He leered mischievously, “I’m the only wolf you’ve got to worry about tonight sweetheart.”
         
         The sound of a high pitched howl echoed through the night. She gripped his arm tightly, “See, that was a howl. Don’t tell me you didn’t hear that?”
         
         He chuckled in amusement and tried to pull her close, but she elbowed him in the ribs.

         “Come one.” he groaned,” It’s probably just some stray mutt. Don’t you think you‘re over-reacting a little.?”
         
         Rachel shook her head and stared into the darkness. “I’m sorry but I can’t shake this feeling that we’re being watched; it’s freaking me out. Can we just please leave?”

         Conner looked at her in disbelief, then shook his head. “Fine,“ he replied tightly and started the new Mercedes his father had let him borrow.

         “Thank you.” She sighed in relief
         
         He shrugged his shoulders and turned his attention to his Ipod.

         Rachel looked in the visor mirror and adjusted her blond ponytail. Not only was she happy to be leaving the dark over-look, but Conner’s wandering hands as well. This would definitely be their last date. She wondered if that new guy, Gage something or another, was seeing anyone. God, he was hot, even though he drove around in that horrid red clunker. She’d have to make sure if they did started dating, they‘d use her Lexus. She’d die first before letting her friends see her in a wreck like that. Rachel closed her eyes and imagined where they’d go on their first date.

         “Hey, move out of the way!” Conner shouted and slammed his foot firmly on the brakes.
         
         Rachel’s eyes flew open and she stared in fascination as the silhouette of  something large leapt out of the road. For a brief moment her eyes locked with it’s glowing yellow ones and she felt a chill creep up her spine.

         Conner swore angrily as he put the car in park, “Did you see that stupid deer? We almost hit it. My dad would have killed me if I would have damaged this car!”

         “I don’t think that was a deer. We need to get out of here,” she begged.

         He rubbed his forehead and nodded, “Yeah, yeah. I know you want to get home, just let me calm down for a second.”

         Rachel trembled. Something evil had crossed their path and it hadn’t been an accident, nor had the hatred in its eyes been imaginary. 

         Suddenly  the glass in Conner’s window shattered and he was violently pulled into the darkness.  He screamed horribly as a large hairy beast ripped it’s sharp teeth into his neck, tearing it open. Blood spurted everywhere as he tried to fight back with his fists. Within seconds his shrieks turned into gurgles and then finally, a dead silence.

         Rachel was paralyzed with fear as she watched in horror. The wolf-like creature stood on its hind legs, had a long muzzle, and gray hair all over it’s body.  It was massive, standing as tall as a grizzly bear with long black claws sprouting from its’ bloody paws. As it finished with her date it quickly turned its attention towards Rachel, who let out a blood curdling scream, flung open the door, and began running.

         A deep howl filled the darkness as she stumbled into the unfamiliar woods.  Without thinking she looked back over her shoulder to see how far away the beast was and she fell over a fallen branch.  Suddenly she was yanked by her ponytail and lifted roughly to her feet.  As she struggled to break free from, a hand gripped her throat tightly and turned her around. She closed her eyes and cried out, anticipating the pain of the creatures sharp jaws.

         “Shut up and look at me.” its raspy voice commanded.

         Rachel opened her eyes and stared into the face of horror. Bright golden eyes bore into hers from a face that was half human, half wolf. It’s bloodied lips curled into a malicious grin and she could smell its putrid breath. She swallowed down the vomit that had risen in her throat.

         “Do you wish to live?”

         She nodded quickly as the tears streamed down her cheeks. Hope glimmered in her eyes, which amused the creature.


         “Too bad.”  Victor snarled and sunk his razor sharp teeth into her neck. He chuckled as she pounded his chest with her fists and kicked with her feet, trying everything she could to make him stop. Within seconds he felt her heartbeat slow until there was nothing. When he was satisfied that his kill was complete, he tossed her empty corpse away. He then raised his head towards the moon and howled victoriously. Victor was so happy to be home.


























© Copyright 2010 Kristen Middleton (kristen1970 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729057-Blue-Moon--Return-Of-The-Lycan