*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729393-A-Day-in-the-Mafia
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1729393
Just another day in the life of an immortal.
A DAY IN THE MAFIA




PART 1



1924, June, Mid-day, New York City. In a back alley not too far away from the everyday hustle and bustle of the city streets stand fifteen well dressed and mean looking men. All of them are armed to the teeth with tommy guns and revolvers. Their guns are directed at two equally well dressed gentlemen who are standing in a large alcove that serves as a business’ loading bay. The two gentlemen’s hats are pulled down so low to their heads that their faces are covered in shadow. And behind these two well dressed men are piled high case upon case of every kind of spirit and liquor imaginable. One of the fifteen men, who is aiming his revolver directly at the head of the man on the left, spoke. “Now it has come to my bosses’ attention that you two have been severely cutting into our profits. And therefore they have asked myself, to remove you from the situation.” The man pulls down the hammer on his revolver. “Do you understand me?”

Of the two men the man on the right’s mouth is turned downwards in uneasiness, while the man on the left has a mouth downturned in annoyance. The uneasy gentleman started to take a few steps forward while trying to speak. “Hey guys, we can work out a deal or somethin can’t we?” The reply of the fifteen gentlemen is to open fire. The man who spoke is ripped to shreds by the hail of submachine-gun fire. He quickly falls to the ground however the man on the left remains still. The bullets rip through his clothes with ease but upon coming into contact with his body they either ricochets off of him or flatten out and fall to the ground. One of the final bullets catches his hat and causes it to fly off of his head. The man’s face is revealed to his would be assassins. He has bright blue eyes and semi short blond hair.

Eventually the thugs stop firing and look at the blonde man in horror. They turn to run but the man rushes them and commences to beat the ever living shit out of them. The head of the man who was torn to ribbons lifts up, revealing his un-kept snow white hair. His eye that wasn’t shot through swivels over to look at the man who is beating up the fifteen men. “Hey…Coryn?”

“Hm?”

“I thought you said we were supposed to blend in?”

“Yeah well.” Coryn grabs a hold of a man’s arm and steps down on it, snapping his bone clean in half. “You see Jack there is only so many times that I can stand getting shot up by mafia, or marines, or space marines, or Mayas, or whatever the case may be.”

“The Maya shot you up?”

“That isn’t relevant right now Jack.” Coryn knocks out the last of the goons with a swift kick to the back of the head. As he walks back and picks up his hat, Coryn’s clothes mend themselves and Jack starts to pull himself together. Coryn looks into the alcove and sighs. Jack gets back up and walks over to him. “So what now?” The both of them look at what once was piles and piles of every spirit and liquor draining off into a storm drain. Coryn looks over at Jack. “Let’s go pay those guy’s boss a visit.”







PART 2



Jack leans out of the small automobile he and Coryn procured as it drives though the streets of New York. Coryn eyes his traveling companion then puts his eyes back on the road as he thinks quietly to himself. Jack halls his arms back into the vehicle, and puts his feet up against the dash. “We there yet?” Coryn eyes him again before speaking. “You don’t sound awfully excited.”

“As it turns out I’m not a fan of getting shot.”

“Then don’t.”

“Funny.” Coryn pulls up the car in front of a very large and very fancy looking hotel. The car hop opens the door for Jack and Coryn tosses him the key. Together the two hustle up the stone stairs and another man opens the door for them. Entering the large and highly decorated lobby the pair is confronted by a large staircase that splits off into two directions and open walkways circling the building’s main shaft above them. They reach the center of the lobby and the sounds of guns being cocked is heard all around them. Looking up and around them Jack and Coryn witness at least 100 men with submachine guns and pistols. Coryn raises an eyebrow and takes his hat off. Spinning it around his finger he looks around while speaking to Jack. “Boss man’s office will be on the top floor. I’ll meet you there.”

“Can do.” Coryn tosses his hat into the air and the men on the walkway open fire. Jack runs right into the open elevator while Coryn runs left and ducks behind the counter. Once on the other side Coryn looks to his left and notices the man that was manning the counter is currently holding a very large revolver to the side of his head. Coryn gives a quick smile before quickly moving his head to the right and smashing the man in the face, rendering him unconscious. The gun flies up in the air and Coryn grabs it. He flips out the cylinder and lets the rounds fall to the ground. As he does so the large board of keys collapses to the ground in front of him. Coryn eyes it for a moment before a smile creeps onto his face.

After no movement is seen for several minutes, the men on the floor above stop firing. There is a moment of silence before Coryn pops out from behind the counter. He is holding the unconscious man against the key board and the key board against his body. In his other hand Coryn is pointing the revolver directly at the man’s head. As he makes his way towards the stairs Coryn begins to yell at the men around him. “Don’t move! I’ll do it man, I swear to God! I’m a pure nut job boys! Don’t make me!” Waddling up the stairs he makes overly exaggerated threatening faces at the men with guns. The goons continue to watch as he continues on but are hesitant as whether or not they should fire. However as Coryn begins to clear the last step he suddenly trips up and falls to the ground. The unconscious man and the key board fall on top of him while the revolver skids across the floor. It hits the shoe of one of the thugs and he picks it up. Flipping the chamber open, his eyes widen and he yells out to the other men. “This thing isn’t even loaded!” The other goons once again raise their guns in anger at having been had by an empty gun. Coryn pushes the board down and looks at them. He gives an innocent smile and chuckles before quickly snatching up the board and standing up. Coryn positions the board on his left so that it is slightly titled away from him and covers the majority of his body. He begins to run along the walk way and all of the men with guns once again open fire. The board smashes into some of the men on the walk way Coryn is on while catching bullets from the rest. Coryn hugs the wall the whole way and eventually reaches a t-intersection in the hallways. Taking a left Coryn abandons the board and starts running up the zigzagging stairway that border the building’s shaft. The mass of mafia behind him quickly begins to catch up however and forces Coryn to take alternate measures. Reaching the top of a set of stairs Coryn is greeted by two large statues of Greek gods standing within a few feet of the stairs.

Two flights down the thugs register the sound of wood being smashed. They turn the corner and are greeted by the site of two large marble statues tumbling towards them. Right before the statues would have crushed them the first one jams itself between the banister and the wall and comes to a sudden halt. The second statues hit the first one soon after but only serves to make progression up the stairs near impossible.

Several minutes later Coryn finally clears the last flight of stairs. He quickly shuffles through two large wooden doors and closes them behind himself. Spotting a coat rack next to the door Coryn takes it and breaks off the top so he can shove it through the door handles. With that done Coryn turns around and looks around the large room he had just entered. It seems to encompass the entire floor of the hotel and is highly decorated with rich maroon carpeting. On the far side of the room is Jack sitting quietly in a chair that is leaned against another pair of heavy wooden doors. On his right and left lay two unconscious guardsmen. Coryn puts on a face of disappointment as he walks over to Jack. “Only two guards? Seriously?”

“You have fun down there?”

“In a manner of speaking, sure.”

Jack hopped out of the chair and the two of them looked at it as it still was keeping the doors shut. Coryn gave the chair a swift kick and it flew a few feet away. Each of them grabbed one of the door handles and thrust the doors open. The room was relatively small and had a large window as the back wall. In front of the windows sat a heavy set man behind a large wooden desk. The man didn’t seem too happy to see Coryn and Jack and he gritted his teeth as they entered the room. “So you’re the two who have been cutting in on my business! I should kill the man who let you up here!” Jack sat down on the desk and smiled at the man. “Well I wouldn’t say we were let in.” Coryn made his way around to the window side of the desk and leaned down on it. “And it seems to me that you were the one cutting in on our business. Guess you just can’t be a successful bootlegger anymore these days.”

“What do you want?”

“It’s a curious thing; that whenever two groups or individuals get into the same business one always tries to get rid of the other; monopolize the product. But you see if there isn’t competition what hope can we have that there will be any attempt to supply the consumer with a better product?”

“What are you getting at?!”

“Who knows? Maybe I’m trying to educate you with a little economics. That or I’m just distracting you.”

“What?” The man turns around to see Jack holding the telephone that had been sitting on the desk in his hand. “HELP ME PLEASE! I JUST SAW A MAN SHOOT SOMEONE! I’M ON THE TOP FLOOR OF THE ROSEWOOD HOTEL AT 190TH AND…” Jack is cut off as the larger man knocks the phone out of his hand. “WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!?!” Jack smiled at him. “I wonder.” Before the larger man can respond Coryn brings his hand down against his neck and the man falls to the floor unconscious. Jack turns around and starts searching around the room while Coryn opens up a few of the desk drawers. He locates a cigar box and pulls one out. After cutting off the end with the clippers lying on the desk, Coryn pulls a match out of his pocket and strikes it against the desk. He lights the cigar and takes a few puffs while looking out the window. “You know what’s wrong with this city Jack?”

“What’s that Coryn?”

“Too many gangsters running around doing whatever they want.” Coryn puts out the cigar in the ash tray and turns to Jack. While Coryn had been smoking Jack had searched through the room, located a safe behind a painting, cracked the safe, and emptied a large sum of cash from it into a briefcase that had been sitting next to the desk. Jack snaps the case shut and looks up at Coryn. “Go time now?”

“Not quite.” Coryn walks across the room and looks into the empty safe. He pulls out an unopened bottle of bourbon and opens it up. After pouring a little on the man’s mouth Coryn sticks the bottle in the man’s hand, allowing some of it to drain out onto the floor. He then reaches into one of the drawers he had opened earlier and pulls out a pistol. Coryn aims it at one of the unconscious guards in the next room and fires. The shot plows into his shoulder but hits the shoulder blade and stops dead. Jack inspects the guard then looks up at Coryn. “He gonna be alright?”

“Yeah, I didn’t hit anything major, only a little blood loss to worry about.” Coryn then takes the gun and tucks it into the other hand of the large man. He pats his cheek twice and smiles. “Look pretty for the cameras now.” Both Jack and Coryn now exit the room and enter one of the elevators. Once it opens in the lobby they walk out and past several police officers as they rush into the building. Coryn yells out to them. “I was just up near the top floor and heard a gunshot! If there’s anything you need let me know but I’m getting the hell out of here for now! My room number is 325!”

Before the police can respond Coryn grabs up his hat that he had left behind earlier. He and Jack then dash out of the building and head right as soon as they’re out of the door. They take the nearest corner and after a several minutes, make their way into a less populated part of town. Their pace slows and Coryn speaks. “How much did you grab?”

“If we start investing now we’ll be able to ride out the depression like the King of England.” Coryn grabs the case and hands it to an apple vendor. He grabs up two apples and tosses one to Jack. Taking a large bite he looks up at the vendor. “Keep the change.” They start to walk off and the vendor inspects what they have given him. His eyes widen and he looks back at Coryn and Jack as they turn into an alley way.

Coryn takes off his hat and runs his fingers through his hair. As he does it grows longer until it reaches its normal length again. “Well where to next Jack?”

“Well you brought up the Maya earlier.”

“Those guys hm? Well guess it couldn’t hurt. Just don’t get yourself sacrificed or anything.”

The vendor rushes around the corner and looks down the alley to question Coryn and Jack. When he does however he is only greeted by the site of a bright flash of light and a nice hat clattering to the ground. After a moment of confusion the vendor can only walk back to his stand to ponder what has just happened to him.



© Copyright 2010 Coryn Sken (corynsken at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729393-A-Day-in-the-Mafia