*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729875-I-get-a-leg
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1729875
A little story about the joy of playing with your little ones.
      Three year old Sarah was determined to win.  She rolled the die, six.  Jumping up from the table she reached for the plastic game piece.  “I get a leg!”  She hollered excitedly.
         “No sweetie.  You have to roll a one,” Her mother showed her the number on the die, “to get your body, and then a two,” she turned the cube, “to get your head.  Then when you roll a six, you will get a leg.”
         Her mother’s words stopped her in her tracks.  She let out a sigh of defeat and passed the die to her mom.  As mom began to shake her hand to roll…
         “Is it my turn?”
         “No not yet, I have to roll and then you can go.”
         Mom rolled a two, picking up the purple head piece she passed the die to Sarah.
         Sarah’s little fingers wrapped around the die tightly with intent.  She eyed the leg pieces, just laying there in wait for her to grab one.  Sarah throws the die, one.
         The look of disappointment on her daughter’s face was overwhelming for her mom, but she knew that Sarah needed to learn the right way to play and to work up to her goals.  She handed her a green body piece and waited for the reaction.  Sarah held it in her hand and although it peaked her interest, her eyes slowly but surely glided over to the stack of legs.  Legs with funny little gecko toes, legs with roller-skates and even legs with sneakers!
         It was mom’s turn again and with a quick shake, the die was down and facing up was a six.  Sarah eyed her mommy. 
         “Even though I rolled a six, sweetie I still can’t get a leg, because I need my body piece first.”  She explained to her confused toddler.  Mom handed the die back to Sarah praying that her little girl rolls a two and had her wish granted.  “A two.  Honey that’s great, that means you get a green head piece!”  She put the pieces together trying to get Sarah excited.  Sarah’s eyes grew wide with fascination of how the pieces can connect and was occupied for a moment or two…but then her mom caught her once again gazing over at the legs.
         It was mom’s turn.  A three was rolled and a cowboy hat was placed on the purple head piece.  Sarah just didn’t even notice, nothing was more intriguing then those legs.
         “It’s your turn and guess what?  If you roll a six now, you will get a leg!”  She had Sarah’s attention immediately.  She watched as her daughter pulled her tiny feet up and tucked them beneath her to get more height. 
         Sarah took a big deep breath and closed her eyes.  Both her tiny hands wrapped around each other with die in tow, she threw it.  It rolled and bounced into a black and white whirlwind and fell off the table.
         Mom saw the die land on a three right by her feet. Knowing her little angel would be harshly disappointed in a bow on her cooties little green head, she did what any mother would do.
         “It’s a SIX!”  Sarah’s mom shouted jumping up from the table.
         The million watt smile Sarah wore as she finally reached for that leg was unmatched.  Placing it in her cootie she felt like she had the world in her hands and with that kind of determination, she really did.
         
word count: 574
         

© Copyright 2010 mrsvoelkel (kittymammas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1729875-I-get-a-leg