*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730953-Over-the-Edge
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1730953
Sarge in pursuit. Noah and Jacob had only 400 feet to escape, but one had other plans...
Escape -- the word sounded so desperate, but that’s the position we found ourselves. We could see Sarge lumbering along four hundred yards below. We glanced at each other. I could tell Noah had the same thoughts as I did. If he caught us…

Our ropes dangled from volcanic walls. A sheer 2,000 foot drop awaited any error. I could feel the bag of diamonds knocking against my hip. Sweat poured from my forehead and I mopped it with my shirt sleeve.

“We’ve got to keep climbing, Jacob. Sarge won’t let up. You know that.”

I peered below. “I know.”

“You boys look like you’re getting tired. You follow me into this volcano, steal my diamonds, and leave me to die down there. You’ll pay for that!” Sarge’s voice echoed through the huge shaft.

We kept silent. Both of us concentrated on the climb. The light streaming in from the top became progressively brighter. Only 400 more feet and we’d be out.

“Sarge is too strong. He’s a better climber.”

“Push yourself. Trust me. We’ll make it.”

“I can barely grip the rope. There’s an opening about fifty feet up. I think it’s a magma vent. Let me take my half and go.”

“You crazy? That could be a dead end.”

“It could be. I can’t make it to the top. My only chance is that vent shaft. Give me my half.”

“Noah, we’ve been together since the FBI academy. I’m sorry to do this.”

“What?”

I kicked him in the face and Noah screamed all the way down the shaft. Silence ensued.

Reaching the top I pulled out my .38 and put a bullet between Sarge’s eyes when his head popped up.

...............................

“Yes sir. Noah is dead. Sarge knocked him down the shaft… Diamonds? No. None recovered.”


298 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Diamond, Trust, Escape
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1730953-Over-the-Edge