*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731082-Amour-Courtois
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1731082
All is not well between the queen and her lover. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the words: Diamond, Escape and Trust

Amour Courtois

They were fat.

The fingers were fat; so much so that a ring’s band was lost in a fat-fold, leaving only a large diamond exposed.

He kissed the back of the Queen’s hand in spite of his revulsion.

“You look marvelous tonight,” he whispered low enough so that none but the queen could hear.

She nodded to him, apparently bored by the gesture. Still, the note changed hands from her to him. He continued down the reception line, dreading what she may have written.

Meet me in my chambers later. I trust you will bring the rubbing oil, he later read.

Not for the first time, he found himself wondering if it had all been worth it. She’d kept up her side of the bargain. He wanted for naught. His clothes were made by the finest seamstresses and his home was well furnished with a view overlooking a lake. There were horses in his stable and every meal was a banquet.

But it had come at a price.

The queen got his oils. She also got him as well.

Tonight, that was all going to change. He reached into a small pouch and pulled out a vial of strong poison. One drop would kill an elephant. He looked up from the vile to her, hoping he had enough.

As the Royal Ball stretched into the night, the queen became more and more drunk and thus daring. She went from shy peeks to openly ogling him.

If only he could get up the nerve to use the poison.

Her slapping his butt was the last straw.

Carefully, he took a glass of ale and added the poison. Then, before he could back down, he drank the entire contents in a single gulp. Death would come swiftly. It was his only escape.

Word count 300


© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731082-Amour-Courtois