*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731775-Working-the-System-2nd-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1731775
Out of the question. A hamster is not to go on a long space mission... unless...
“You do realize this is a violation?” Mr. Kruger glared over his glasses at Vince.

“He’s my pet. I can’t just leave him to die. How much could he eat, a couple of apple slices? He’s a hamster for crying out loud.”

“No matter. On a long journey like this, he will eat enough. Eighty eight years in space one-way is no laughing matter, Vincent."

What a bureaucrat. He’s probably never had one day of adventure in his whole life. Perhaps a different tactic…

“Actually Mr. Kruger, I’m interested in the effects of long-term space travel on the behavior of sub-species.” That should trigger something from Mr. By-the-book.

“So, you are trying to convince me that bringing your pet hamster along is a science experiment?” Mr. Kruger leaned back in his chair, pondering the statement more than asking a question.

“Yes.” Vince attempted to conceal his smug smile, but he had to cover his mouth.

“What do you expect? For the animal to turn purple?”

He’s brighter than he looks. “No, actually I expect an adaptation.”

“An adaptation?”

“Yes, I suspect that with prolonged exposure to a weightless environment that the animal will evolve. Perhaps eating patterns and behavior in general will change.” Sap!

“Interesting. I’ll have to submit this to the board.”

“No need. I’ve already gotten approval. You were just on a need to know basis.”

“What? They’ve approved an experiment of this magnitude without Federal oversight?”

“Yes, and by the way, and as a reminder, your corner office at the new Federal building is riding on the approval of this project.”

“Well, in that case.” Mr. Kruger placed his hands together. “The hamster goes.”

“You understand it would be a violation if you mentioned this to the board? I was not supposed to divulge it.”

“Of course.”



297 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Apple, Purple, Hamster
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1731775-Working-the-System-2nd-Place