*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733864-pray-for-rain
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1733864
tent revival somewhere in Florida in the early 1970's
Pray for rain

Pray for rain I thought.As I watched the crowd gathering. I had just looked up from my Bible. I had just finished reading how God was going to pour his Spirit out on all men. "Amen" I thought. pray for rain. My brother Dale and I had stopped at a tent revival, somewhere in Florida in the middle 1970's. at a time when God was extremely popular.

The crowds would show up hours before the actual starting time. If you came early you could feel the excitement building with each passing moment. I could see a small group of women praying feverishly to my right. The spirit would touch one, then a wave of excitement would pass from one to the other untill they were on fire with their prayers. People in the crowd would leap to thier feet praising God with every breathe. Some laughing some crying, but all praising God .

The hair on the back of my neck would stand , up as I could feel myself getting caught up in the moment. Musicians were tuning up and that only added to the fever. Eveyone was anticipating a close encounter with Jesus.

The naked light bulbs strung over head, cast a pleasent glow throughout the tent. The hustle and bustle continued to increase as the tent filled up. Wow I thought as I saw the faces beeming with delight.

I spotted my brother Dale. He was with a young group of men praying togeather. They resembled a football huddle as they stood with their arms draped around each other. As I watched them I could tell they were already in the presence of Jesus.

The preacher entered through the back of the tent. He did not have to bring the Spirit with him It had already arrived. I stood up for the reading of the word. I started praying even before the preacher started reading.

Slowly reality started to fade away. As the crowd diminished and moved farther and farther from me. I could no longer hear or see them. I seemed to be surrounded by darkness, except right in front of me. Their stood the brightness and glory of my Savior. I realized I was no longer at a tent revival,but I was walking where my heros of the bible had walked before me.

I truly knew what it was like to speak in the Spirit. Feelings and groans and words, I seemed to have no control over what came out of me. And I knew Jesus understood every sound. I felt no fear only a pure love not of this world.

I savored every moment with Jesus. This was one of those special times when prayer had transported me to the throne of my God. I could hear words and thoughts inside my head though with out sound. Yet I knew it was Jesus speaking to me. It sounded so familiar.I don't know how long I was in that state, but it was not near long enough to suit me.

As the sounds and scenes from the tent revival started to creep into my reality I was smothered by a sadness that I was no longer before the throne. I noticed that the revival was just about over. Part of the crowd had already left. We prayed for several people seeking healing.

Then slowly made our way to our car.I had rode with Dale so I just sat their in the darkness. As we rode home we both seemed to be caught up in our own thoughts, as I listened to the hum of the engine, Dale broke the silence." Great meeting" He said. Not wanting to be pulled away from my thoughts. I simply said pray for rain Dale pray for rain. Eddie John
© Copyright 2010 Bookie Taylor (edworthley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1733864-pray-for-rain