*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734457-Homeless-Hero
Rated: · Other · Spiritual · #1734457
Learning the secret to life from a homeless man.
Homeless Hero

Many years ago, in an encounter that I now consider a work of fate, I met a homeless man who forever changed my thinking and outlook on life.

I met him in 1989 in Uijongbu, South Korea while stationed at an Army post, Camp LaGuardia. Although I was a stranger in a foreign land, he spoke and understood my language and had an answer to every question I could dream up. I was nervous and scared at the time, but he had an uncanny way of dismissing all of my fears.

Even though this man had nothing, he made me feel like I could do anything. He had no job, no home and owned only the clothes on his back, yet lived each day as though he were the richest man on Earth. Every day, you could find him working to help other people. Talking to him, I found that my perspectives in life were flawed. He made me see that, in this life, we really are what we think about.

This man spent every day of his life trying to convince others that his way of life was the only route to true happiness. And he lived it by example. He didn’t get caught up in the hoopla of the holidays, didn’t worry himself sick about paying bills and wasn’t concerned with “keeping up with the Joneses.” He didn’t even worry about where he would find his next meal.

All he cared about in life was improving the lives of others.

I was amazed by the man’s spirit and conviction. Immediately, this true gentleman had an impact on my then 21 year-old psyche and he still does to this day. I found myself wishing I was more like him.

Through the years, I’ve thought about the things I learned and continue to learn from this man to whom most people didn’t have the time or patience to listen.  His appearance and low social status kept him hidden from mainstream society. I suspect that even those who noticed him didn’t really want to take the time to get to know him.

As I got to know him, his story was even more fascinating. He was born extremely rich and had every comfort at his disposal. His father was a well known figure with tremendous authority. Anything he wanted was given to him the moment he asked. He had it made.

But he said that he noticed so many others struggling through life and he felt called to do something to make a difference in the world. So, he left his life of comfort to follow his conscience. Those who knew of him called him a dreamer and even made fun of me for associating with him. I admit that there were times when I was embarrassed to be seen with him because of the backlash of insults I knew would come my way from others. It was amazing to me that people could be so cruel to someone whose only goal in life was to help them.

Eventually, the pressure from the hecklers got to me. I withdrew from the man and only spoke to him in passing. Sometimes I avoided him, even though I knew it must have hurt him that I had once been so interested in his life and had now turned my back on him.

A while back, I began a detailed search for this man whose life has had such a profound impact on mine. Finding him again was much easier than I anticipated, especially since it had been so long since we had spoken. I contacted him a few times once I left Korea, yet eventually lost touch. But I never forgot about him. You have to know him to understand how unforgettable he is.

He has written several books, all of which were combined into a best-seller designed to help others find meaning in life. Guided by a tremendous desire to touch every heart he can reach, he is still today doing the very things he was doing when I met him so many years ago. He still owns nothing in this world, giving all he accumulates to those in need.

His life is a priceless example of love, selflessness, dedication, generosity, forgiveness, benevolence and purpose.

To research this man’s life for yourself, type this name into your search engine: Jesus Christ. Or, better yet, open the cover of your Bible. You’ll be amazed at what you can learn from a homeless man.
© Copyright 2010 Holland Kat (hollandkat3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734457-Homeless-Hero