*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734942-The-unfair-punishment
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1734942
He almost got me but fate intervened.
A chilly Sunday morning, my window presented a magnificent view. The snow covered the whole backyard and reflected back the weak, wintry sunlight. I was thinking that how would I solve a damn equation, when Mum stormed into my room. The next moment, I could only hear her screaming,
"Can you pass by something without breaking it?!. You are so CLUMSY!"
Grounded, I was ordered to stay in my room for two days without any T.V. or Internet. Hearing this I was dumbfounded. Confused, I asked Mum what was my mistake. She shot back,
"As usual, your brother told me that you toppled the ancestral vase and broke it in to pieces. Do you have any idea that it has been in our family for generations? Made in Persia for the royal family, there is nothing like it in the world."
I was about to defend myself, but Mum left the room without listening an innocent prisoner's plea for mercy.
I was sulking in my room thinking about the stupid accusation when I remembered I had to submit my science project on Tuesday. So, I dashed to the kitchen to request Mum to allow me to take out some stationery from the cupboard upstairs. I ascended the marble stairs to the cupboard and when I opened it, a strange sight met my eyes.......you won’t believe it! On the top shelf, it was the inherited vase sitting peacefully. Not believing what I was seeing, I touched it and it sure was made out of clay, glazed with numerous colors ranging from blue to turquoise, to crimson to pink, and gold and silver. Hurriedly, I ran to the garbage bin and found the broken pieces of the vase. I picked one of them and felt it to get plastic!
I rushed to Mum and told her about this. I asked her to ask my brother whether he was telling the truth or not.
When my bother was brought into Mum's court, he spilled the beans. After all, why wouldn't he?
The truth was that he had gone to a museum exhibition and on a stall outside the building , a frail man was selling fake replicas of ancient artifacts’ bought the copy of the vase we possessed, and planned to frame me by breaking it. He came home, broke the vase, and lied to Mum. Later on, he would have to pick up the debris, so no one would notice its light weight.
After the court hearing, Mum first of all scolded my brother and my punishment was transferred to him, even doubled! Oh joy! Blissful joy!
© Copyright 2010 H.Chaghtai (hadia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1734942-The-unfair-punishment