*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1735425-Tips-to-Survive-a-Zombie-Apocalypse
Rated: 13+ · Other · How-To/Advice · #1735425
Afraid of a zombie outbreak? Read my tips to find out how to survive on an undead Earth.
Zombies. Let's face it: our fascination in them is as high as ever now thanks to all the media out there including zombies. In fact, some people out there are already preparing for a zombie apocalypse to occur in the near future. Some people like to dismiss the zombie apocalypse as something that can only happen in fiction. Others, like me, think that it is a very real possibility. After putting much thought into it, I've pulled together a few tips on surviving a zombie apocalypse for those of us who fear the undead rising.


#1. Don't be afraid of the undead: A rather obvious bit of info. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT have a fear of zombies when the outbreak happens. If you are a survivor, you can't go freaking out every time you see a zombie, because that just gives them more time to get to you and chew off your face.


#2. Find a light source: Well, of course. You don't want to stuck in a dark room when the zombies come, do you? Find something like a lamp, flashlight, candle, or even make a fire with some logs if you have to! Even better: if you somehow can, get your hands on some night-vision goggles. (Not sure how. Maybe a military surplus store.)


#3. Find the right weapons: You need to defend yourself from the undead masses, so you want a weapon. Of course, some weapons are better than others. In melee weapons, I'd recommend NOT getting a hammer. Sure, it's fun to smash a zombie's head in with a sledgehammer, but the amount of time it takes to swing that thing will allow a zombie to get to you. Get something light like a machete or other blade, or even a baseball bat. Something you can swing repeatedly in a short amount of time. In ballistics, if you're inside an enclosed area, you may want something like a shotgun to fend off the undead. If you are outside in a large area, like say the city streets, try to get an automatic weapon to clear out many zombies in a short period of time.


#4. Find other survivors: If "Left 4 Dead" (owned rightfully by Valve) taught us anything, it's that a group in a zombie apocalypse is much more likely to survive than a single person. As in L4D, a group of four people or more works the best for open areas. Gather together with your backs towards one-another and move together to where you want to go. As for indoors, a group of three would work just fine. Just replace the fourth person with the wall and move alongside it.


#5. Find the right shelter: Windows are NOT your friend in a zombie apocalypse. Find a shelter with as few ground-level windows as possible. Once the window problem is solved, you're going to want to get supplies and bring them into your shelter. After you have about a week's worth of supplies in your shelter, barricade any and all entrances and exits. After barricading all the doors or what-have-you, it's best to make a barricade around you and your supplies. If zombies break through your barricaded entrances, you want to protect yourself. Have at least one person on "guard duty" to tell the others what's going on. When your supplies run out, take off as little of the barricade as possible and go get more. When the area you're in runs out of supplies, time to move to somewhere else and repeat the process.


#6. What to do with wounded party members: What to do with wounded party members depends upon the level of the injury. If it's something like a single broken arm, do your best to fix it on the spot. However, a broken leg, or any other bone for that matter, and they're a dangerous thing to have in the group. It may sound cruel, but if they suffer anything that harms their mobility, you're going to want to leave them behind. It's hard to transport a person like that while being safe. However, if you do have to leave a living person behind, give them a mercy kill. And do it quickly so they don't suffer. Not only will it save them from turning, that's one less zombie to worry about.


Well, those are just six basic tips for surviving a zombie apocalypse. Now just remember, not all of us will be survivors. In fact, the majority of people reading this are more-than-likely going to become the zombies. Now, go and prepare while you still can...before we get you...
© Copyright 2010 ThatGuyWithThisPenName (2computer1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1735425-Tips-to-Survive-a-Zombie-Apocalypse