*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736278-Moonlit-Daze
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1736278
A story about love, loss, secrets kept too long and regrets.
It was a near perfect night… cool, crisp and windy. She stood there looking at me, the sand squeezing in between her toes, the wind in her hair, and a smile on her face. She was just as I had remembered her, stunning in her simplicity, gentle in her movements, and completely innocent of any of the wrong around her. She wore the dress her mother had made for her, a lovely and plain white dress that hugged her shape in the right places and flowed with the wind in others. She still seemed so ethereal, so unreal, and so… untouchable.

She was still absolutely stunning. Her hair was that lovely hazelnut brown that fell in loose curls nearly to her waist. Her skin was perfectly unblemished, flawlessly white and near translucent. Her eyes shone a beautiful warm brown that was a slightly darker shade than her hair. That cute little button nose of hers sloped at the most perfect angle and led to her soft red lips.

I walked to her as she beckoned to me with that alluring smile I loved the most. Her wavy brown hair freely flowed with the wind without ever ruining her image of sheer perfection. I knew I was probably close to running at this point, but it still seemed like I couldn’t get to her fast enough. Even as I finally got close enough to gently touch her cheek, I still felt that all the time apart was too much for us to make up for in this short snippet of time.

“You’re finally here.” she smiled. Oh, I always did love that smile.

“Yes, I’m here. I’ve always been just here for you. You know that, right?” All I was missing was the wagging tail and I would have been her lapdog willing to do anything and everything for her without a thought.

“Yes… You always have been there, caring for me and waiting… I admire your patience. I mean, it’s not really all too easy to wait for someone like me.” she said. Was that a blush? She always did blush when she apologized.

“Don’t worry, it’s ok with me; you know it is.” I said. Wait, are those tears in her eyes? Oh God, is she crying?

“Well, it shouldn’t be! You shouldn’t settle for just waiting for me all the time! You have to be more independent, you know… I won’t be here forever… You have to stop being so compliant.” she really was crying now… Even with tears streaming down her face, she was still so beautiful it made me ache.

“I’m not being compliant… I just want to be there for you. I know what you’re going through. Shh… Stop crying, you’re too pretty to cry like that. Come on, what’s that you always say when you see a girl crying? ‘A woman knows when to hold her tears.’ am I right? Come now; let’s see a smile on those lips.” I hated seeing her in pain like this. She has always been such a strong character, to see her broken like this… I couldn’t bear it.

“I also always say ‘A woman knows when crying really is the answer to their problems. Crying and chocolate, lots and lots of chocolate.’” she laughed; it was forced out of her but at least it was a laugh, right? She hated crying just as much as I hated seeing her in pain so she always ended up joking about it in the end. Her eyes were starting to clear up again. Her eyes always got red so easily when she cried…

“Well, I’m sorry but I don’t have any chocolate with me right now; but I do have a hug, is that ok?” I said with my arms stretched out.

“That’s even better than chocolate. Thanks for always being there for me, Jake, you’re a great friend.” I’m actually not really sure if that’s what she said since she was talking into my shirt at the time. She was so close but… Why did I have to just be her friend?!
“You’re the kind of girl someone fights for, Sophie. You know I’ll always be here for you.” I love you… Why couldn’t I say it? Why couldn’t I just admit to her that I loved her more than life itself? Damn my fear for rejection.

“Heh, since when have you been so mushy, Jake? I love—“ what?! Was she really going to say it? “—having a friend like you. You’re always there to pick me up when I break down. Thanks.” No, of course not, why would she say something like that? She doesn’t love me.

“I love being your friend, Soph. Now perk up already! I’m not used to seeing you so… EMO. It really doesn’t suit you, Soph.” Oh yeah, teasing her again, REALLY smooth, Jake.

“Oh whatever, Jake! You’re the one who doesn’t stop talking about that girl you like! You won’t even introduce me to her!” It was that smirk again… That devilish smirk she only used when she had something in mind. “So, when am I going to meet your mystery girl, Jake?” Why does she keep bringing this up? When will she realize she’s the girl I’m in love with? Can’t she see how much I absolutely adore her?

“In time, Soph… You already know her, anyway. You know her very well, actually. But since we’re talking about love lives; who is that guy you told me about once? The one you love talking to? Why don’t we talk about him instead? I know you’re dying to tell me all about him.” that guy… he doesn’t know how lucky he is to have someone like Sophie caring about him.

“I do? Who is it? Rachel? Grace? Olivia? Who is the lucky girl who’s stolen your heart?” yep, that’s just like her, not minding what I say when she doesn’t want to.

“No, Soph, it’s not Rachel or Grace or Olivia. Can’t you just drop that for a second?!” whoa… Why did this suddenly get to me?

“Oh… Well, I’m sorry if that bothered you, Jake. I should’ve known better than to meddle. I’m really sorry…” she was being childlike in her regret again “Forgive me?” ahh… that famous comeback where she looks up at you with eyes full of hope and innocence….

“Of course, Soph. You know I can’t get mad at you. And really, that innocence thing doesn’t suit you. You’re definitely not innocent.” Yep, here we go again, teasing each other to ease the tension.

“Oh, haha, Jake.” and right on cue, it’s her signature eye roll. “So… you really wanna know about that guy I really like?” Wait, did she really just bring up a subject that made her uncomfortable? Wow…

“Actually, Sophie, yes, I do. I’m very interested in who has finally taken your heart.” Finally… But is this really what I want?

“Well, Jake… If I’m going to tell you, you’ll have to promise not to say anything until I let you, ok?” She’s not usually this cautious with me; this must be some guy…

“Of course, Sophie. I promise to let you finish. I just really wanna know.”

“Ok, Jake. The truth is… YOU are the guy I’ve been talking nonstop about.” wait, WHAT?! “I mean, you’re always there for me, you’re always willing to help me with everything, and you’ve been a great friend. How could I have not fallen in love with you?
“You were there when no one else was. You were the one who made me laugh when everyone else didn’t care. You made me smile whenever I was sad… I love you, Jake.” You. Have. GOT. To be kidding me!

“You can comment now, Jake.” Oh yeah… I have to reply to that. But, how? Oh, I know…


“Look, Jake, if that kiss was a pity kiss, I don’t need it.” yep, she gets on my nerves sometimes too…

“SOPHIA MARIE RODRIGUEZ, that kiss was not a pity kiss. If you haven’t noticed yet, I’m madly in love with you and I’ve been in love with you for the longest time. I’ve always been here to help you with your problems because I hate seeing you unhappy. I make you laugh when you cry because it hurts me to see you in pain.

“I will always be here for you, Sophie, no matter what.” Finally, she smiles…

“Thank you, Jake. You don’t know how much that means to me… But, don’t you remember?” remember? Remember what?

“Remember what, Soph?” What has this woman remembered this time?

“The accident? Jake, I’m dead. I’ve been dead for a year now, aren’t you over me yet?” No… It can’t be… She’s lying. But… why would she…

“Jake, sweetie, don’t you remember the party? It was a dark September night and we were all going home from the bonfire.” Bonfire? But, that’s…

“I said I would walk since I lived nearby while you and our other friends lived on the other side of the city. It was on the news, Jake. You were there at my funeral. I saw you… You arrived first and left last. You didn’t let anyone get too close.”

“But, Soph, no… How?”

“I was raped, Jake.” No… “Nearly a dozen times. They were drunk and they didn’t care that much. They were college boys who lived on the same street as me. Yes, they knew me very well but they were too drunk to even see straight.”

“No, Sophie, stop lying to me. WHY ARE YOU LYING TO ME?!”

“I’m not lying to you, Jake. I love you. I would never hurt you, let alone lie to you. Please, Jake, you have to forget about me… Just remember that somewhere, a girl up there is watching over you the way you watched over her while she was still here.

“I have to go now, Jake. Please take care of yourself for me. I love you, Jake. Don’t forget that.” Sophie…

“Sophie, don’t leave yet, please!” And just like that, she’s gone again…
The bonfire… That night… Yes, it’s all coming back to me now… Sophie wasn’t lying.
She said that her neighborhood wasn’t dangerous and she’d lived there all her life so everyone knew her. She told us not to bother taking her home… I knew I should’ve at least walked her home, but she insisted that I lived too far and that it was too late for me to keep wandering the streets alone. She always did care more about others than herself. We had just planned to talk about who we really loved that weekend… I was just about to confess to her how much I loved… how much I love her and just like that, she was gone… taken away from me, just like another dream… Just like this dream.
© Copyright 2010 Madame Anonyme (talia.ruiz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736278-Moonlit-Daze