*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736774-Silver-Light
Rated: E · Sample · Fantasy · #1736774
A snippet of the fantasy/action novel, Silver Light
That night, like every other night I had the dream.

The sun gleamed in the sky, an angry scarlet. It’s reflection motionless on the ocean’s surface. I moved briskly but cautiously towards the alluring sight. My mind completely vacant of all thoughts, only the compulsion of moving forward. I could feel the cool wetness of the sea brushing against my skin, drenching me from top to bottom. But I couldn’t care less. Only the burning desire to reach the beacon calling to my soul. I was almost there. The water above my shoulders, covering my ears, drowning out all possible sound. Only a few more steps... I was there. Directly under the sun. I raised my arms, waiting for her to arrive. I could feel her presence. Then she materialised into the sky, an intense dazzling light filled the air around me. A ring of fire made its way around my immobile body. She had arrived. I raised my head only slightly, but that was enough to see the goddess like figure soaring around the sun. Her golden dress, an exact replica of the sun itself, flew around the sky. Red... Orange... Yellow... Gold...

I was not sure exactly how long I was left staring agape at the glorious beauty, when she caught sight of me. Her crimson eyes twinkled, burning with life. “Daughter. You have found me after all this time. That must mean you are in grave danger.” She glanced swiftly at the dimming sun before she spoke again.

“I cannot speak with you for long as it is almost time for the sun to set. My power is weakening as yours is strengthening. You have to banish all signs of evil from the face of the earth. It is the only way for the world to survive. If you fail to accomplish this task and the world perishes, it will be a matter of time before our world breaks down too.” She sighed taking in a long breath and fumbled around her neck to remove a golden locket. “Daughter, I am giving this to you as a symbol of your world, your honour and your strength. Never forget that. This will also be a doorway from this world to your own. Trust your instincts.” The sun had almost disappeared and the figure in the sky was wavering. She loosened her hand and the locket fell neatly onto the palm of my upraised arm. I needed to know more, but my voice remained thick and arid. I don’t even know your name. My mind screamed relentlessly. “Look within...” And with those last words she closed her eyes and let a single tear escape from her eyes. It fell on the ocean with a burst of power extinguishing the ring of fire instantly. One name kept repeating in my mind, Saphira. With that everything went dark...
© Copyright 2010 Jesse Skye (silverwillows at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1736774-Silver-Light