*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1737682-Interaction-chapters-7-9
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1737682
The third instalment of the clash of worlds and the troubles that face Sam and Sky
Chapter 7

"Sir?"
"Yes Nina?"
"I think you should look at this!" Her tone was a strange mix of both exhilaration and concerned as she burst into Sam's office. His head buried in his father's old notes of work as always. He did not even care to look at her until she gave him an urgent stare, piercing the back of his head and forcing him to look at her. He reluctantly rose from his large, plush leather chair and followed Nina into a very large room. It was filled with consoles and laptops littered all around the room. They progressed down the metal staircase into the centre of the room where a young man, possibly early twenties, stood holding a small folder full of satellite images of the moon etc.
"This better be good Nina, I am very busy you know." Sam said impatiently as Nina shot a stern glare at him and continued toward the young scientist, clad in his lab coat and casual jeans. Sam noticed a name tag that hung glumly off of the top of the collar of his coat. "So Peter, what you got for me?" As if in awe of Sam for reasons he could not understand he handed Sam the folder. With a sigh Sam opened it and looked at the contents un-expectant of any positive results. He glanced through the folder of images, recognising various star constellations and nebula's, all not catching Sam's interest as he motioned to hand back the folder, when a certain image made him double take and snatch the folder away from the other man before he could grab it. Sam examined the image closely, almost pressing the image against his face in obsession with the image. He could sense the other workers giving him weird looks and stares but he did not care. He had found it. Two and a half years of research all came down to this image. He could not contain his jubilation as he leapt in the air clicking his heels. He ran over to the monumentally huge telescope that stood proudly in the middle of the, en-suite observatory, as Sam liked to view it. He glared into the viewing glass, desperately trying to find this thing's co-ordinates. Nina cautiously approached Sam, not seeing this side of her boss before.
"What are you looking for?" She asked, still just as cautious.
"Nothing" Sam announced with a proud laugh at his own joke.
"That makes no sense!" Nina shouted back at him.
"Look in here" He said calmly handing her a folder of his own, still not taking his attention from the large viewing glass of the giant telescope. Nina began to examine the two folders, crossing her eyes from one to the other with a confused expression.
"So, what does it mean?" With a rather large sigh Sam responded.
"The yellow rip-like thing in the picture…" As Nina began to look at it still confused. "…That is what I'm looking for" Nina was now completely lost. With another sigh Sam leapt from the telescope landing just in front of Nina.
"A few years ago a great scientist, Lucas Belenki, wanted to change the world with his experimental machine to sustain its own renewable energy source when the machine malfunctioned and torn down the laboratory killing many of the working scientists. Lucas survived the incident but returned a year later and succumbed to his own guilt." Sam's tone went solemn as he ended the explanation. Nina looked at him still not lifting her confused expression, beckoning Sam to continue. "Well the machine shot a rather powerful energy surge into space and form the image you have given me it hit an asteroid in the belt near Mars and by sheer coincidence it caused a rift of anti-matter that split giving you the bright light around it." he finished catching his breath a little as Nina started to look like she regretted asking him in the first place. Noticing this Sam laughed quietly as Nina tried to comprehend what he had just said.
"Basically, a beam of pure light and heat energy hit an asteroid, by chance, and caused a rift in the fabric of space" She said, quizzically looking back at Sam. A bit stunned by her understanding of the thing that had taken so much time and effort for him to explain, all Sam could manage to say was yeah. Chuckling Nina started to speak again. "Couldn't that be dangerous?" She asked becoming very serious and concerned.
"No chance" Sam responded proudly. "You see the growth of the rift as it were, has stopped and as it seems what ever goes into it simply vanishes." Nina was now very concerned to Sam's light tone after hearing that.
"So it is very dangerous!" She exclaimed frightfully.
"No, no. Well unless you were to travel into it of course." He said still in his unusually casual tone. Nina looked perplexed as she decide to not argue about it but Sam decided to continue, filling in all the blanks in her mind on the subject. "Basically, my dad saw this rift in space and shortly after he disappeared" He said in surprise of his own discovery. Nina gasped at Sam.
"Oh I am so sorry for you Sam. For him to lose his life so easily…" Sam cut her off quickly as he silenced her with a stern look.
"No" He said more to himself than to Nina. "The rift didn't kill him."
"How d'you know?" She asked sniffing at her tears.
"He survived the travel through the void, as his contact signal was lost 20 minutes after that craft travelled through it." he gasped as he realised what was going on. "It's not a black hole. It's a wormhole." He whispered loud enough for all else in the room to hear. Everyone gasped and exchanged looks with each other. Sam continued. "He must have crashed after passing through."

The launch pad was a very large collection of concrete and a huge rocket that covered the middle of the surface. Sam was being briefed by some military guy about alien encounters and other stuff. Ignoring as much as he could he turned towards Nina who had entered the room.
Someone to see you Sam" She said calmly.
"Please let them in." He said, needing anything to get rid of this rather gruesome and frankly stinky army veteran. To his surprise three people entered the room. He recognised one instantly, thrusting her arms around him almost to tackle him to the ground.
"Hey Carla" He said recovering.
"Don't go Sam! You could die!" She shouted at him ignoring his greeting. He prized himself away noticing the other two figures that stood arm in arm laughing at the moment with Carla.
"Didn't know you had a girlfriend Sam" She said still laughing.
"Mom?" Sam exclaimed in disbelief as he rushed toward her. She flinched violently but was greeted by her sobbing son holding her in his arms. "I'm sorry" He said solemnly through his now aching throat. Realising what had happened to him she returned the hug sobbing herself now.
"I should have told you sooner" She forced herself to say.
"No I should have accepted it better, it happened and I just couldn't" He said sobbing louder. "I treated you so badly, I…I'm sorry." Without another word they just sobbed on each others shoulders for what seemed like an eternity. Another man rushed into the room grabbing Sam's attention.
"Sir, it is time to prep your suit and get you in the shuttle." He said softly, recognising the situation Sam was in.
"Okay" Sam whispered back.
He followed the man to a large elevator. It had no walls and only one door made of folding metal mesh. As it ascended into the heavens Sam began to feel an unnerving chill rise up his spine and the other man just smiled.
"Yeah, I'd be nervous too" He said grinning.
"Ha, but it's a small sacrifice for a world changing discovery" Sam announced proudly.
"Yes well better you than me." The man replied, much more sinister than earlier.
Sam sighed, despite his best efforts to calm his nerves and those of his friends and family he was worried. To be piloting this spacecraft by himself and into unknown waters. He chuckled lightly, trying to hide all signs of concern. Obviously it was to no avail as the other man noticed.
"Listen you have had all your flight training concerning this craft and you past safety inspection better than anyone else for 34 years." He was clearly trying in vain to cheer Sam up but what he said after raised Sam's spirits somewhat. "Your dad was a great man, and a great friend. If I wanted to send my best friend's son to hell and back I couldn't. So do come back now" He said now sounding concerned himself. Sam looked at the man and with apprehension until he finally spoke.
"You know, I always thought I recognised you" Sam laughed. "I need you to tell me something” He said with a faded smile, “Do you know what happened to mom after she left?” His smile was now completely gone.
“Some things are probably left unsaid” The man replied gravely. Sam looked up at the man, concerned that what he was hiding was going to make Sam regret every thing he had done to her even more and wisely he decided against asking more about it. The grand elevator finally reached a stop near the top of the craft and a large metal bridge was precariously connected to the elevator and the craft. Cautiously he crossed the bridge and entered the craft and sitting down in the most uncomfortable angle imaginable.
“Sam, this device should keep us in full contact even after you pass through the rift” he man said with a reassuring smile. He took the device that to him looked like a glorified mobile phone and placed it into a designated holder and thanked the man.
“I never got your name” Sam said in a friendly tone.
“Max Winterburn” He reached into the craft and shook Sam’s hand. “Let’s not make this a last goodbye as well” He added with a concerned laugh. Sam just returned a smile still concerned himself. The alarm sounded breaking the connection between the two and the door hissed shut. Clara, Sam’s mom and step dad all waited anxiously in the control room watching Sam via a camera in the craft’s command centre. All of them, including Sam, gasped at the sudden sounding of the count down over the loud speakers. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…

Chapter 8 – Routine

A loud beeping woke him as Sky rose groggily from his not too flattering bed. He grumbled angrily at the clock that shown that time of day that most people never see on a Sunday it read 3:25am and Sky grumbled even louder at the stupidity of the time.
“I really need to not set the alarm on Saturday evenings!” He said under his breath angry at his mistake. He decided it would be pointless trying to get back to sleep and walked into the kitchen block of the small apartment. He began to prepare breakfast and tidy the messes left over from the previous evening. Sitting down in his chair he began to eat and look at his daily planner for anything he had to do. He smiled as he saw that he had a work friend coming over to meet his family. He liked work simply for the social interaction that he had craved for many years before moving back into the city. This friend however was different, he understood Sky’s situation despite Sky never telling him what had happened so many years ago. He was still haunted by visions of the men of that evening and most horrifically his parents faces as well still vividly imprinted into his mind. He dismissed his own daydream and continued to clear away the subtle clutter littered around the apartment. A few hours passed and Sky managed to tidy the apartment very well with everything being in place and no marks were left on surfaces. He smiled in pride of his work not noticing the small figure that stood next to him.
“Sky?” She asked. “Why you up so early?” Surprised at the sudden sound appearing next to him he turned quickly and saw Lana (the eldest sister) looking up at him rubbing one eye with her finger. He smiled and hugged her.
“I could ask you the same thing” He said in a fatherly tone. “Well anyway, the place needed a good clear up.” He said dismissing any response she was about to make. “What is the time?” He asked losing track as he tidied up.
“Seven” She responded, obviously not caring for Sky’s handy work.
“Well I better head off to the store” He said back “You can look after the others?” He had seen great loyalty in Lana and she was definitely well trusted by him even with something as important as looking after her family, even for such a short time.

Walking to the store was always a lonely affair as none of his friends from work lived in the same district of the huge city but to his surprise he saw a familiar figure walking down the street. Excited he rushed over and greeted his friend warmly.
“Sar” He said with glee as his huge friend turned to face him in response to his name. As he turned he revealed his full size and Sky staggered back jokily pretending to be stunned by the 15ft dragon that stood before him in his usual white tank top tucked neatly into his loose jeans. His face curled into a smile at Sky’s joke.
“How you doin’ mate” He replied, his voice contrasting to his appearance, it was soft and welcoming whereas he looked like he’d sooner kill you than give you the time.
“I’m good. What you doin’ this far from home?” He asked laughing to himself.
“Glad you asked actually, I was getting a suit for my date with Mellissa tomorrow.” He said happily showing Sky the huge jacket that was slung over his shoulder. Sky smiled in admiration of the clearly expensive suit. Sar was Sky’s right hand man at work and, basically, Sky was his boss although he didn’t like to think of it like that as he was quite low down the corporate ladder himself.
“How d’you get that?” Trying not to insult the gargantuan dragon-man stood before him, he asked the question cautiously. Sar laughed heartily as he observed Sky’s suddenly cautious approach.
“Come on Sky, we’ve been friends for how long? And you still think I would hate you for something like that?” He laughed again and continued. “Love has no limits and besides if you have a girl as fine as that you need a deep pocket!” He laughed hard at his own joke and Sky joined in agreement. A few minutes passed as the friendly banter continued.
“So, are we still on for me comin’ over later?” Sar asked hopefully.
“Sure, I’m headed to the store right now. But it is a small apartment” He said becoming concerned for Sar’s comfort.
“Well I’m sure it won’t ruin the evening!” He returned laughing heartily again.
The two men said their temporary goodbyes and parted ways. Sky smiled the whole way to the store not knowing about the events about to unfold.

Sam began to regain consciousness slowly as his vision began to clear itself from its hazy state. He began to look around, trying to find out where he was, he only noticed a large one way viewing window and a tray of strange fruits on a dresser unit. He rubbed his eyes as if to wake himself from a long dream. He swung his legs over the side of the unusually large and clean bed and looked around again. He then noticed his lack of clothing, only being clad in his plain white boxer shorts.
“Where am I?” He asked himself and to his surprise a feminine voice answered.
“You’re in a hospital, you crashed and you’re pretty lucky we found you when we did.” Her voice was soothing and calm despite the metallic sound of the speaker.
“Who are you?” Sam demanded. Heavenly voice or not he is in a strange place and there is no one else there.
“My name is not important but you Sam are in quite a mess.” She replied.
Ignoring the comment Sam was still angry that no one else was in the room with him to talk to.
“Show yourself!” He demanded again. The woman sighed through the speaker and calmly agreed to meet Sam in the room. He felt a bit better that she was willingly-ish to meet him. The door hissed open in a cloud of smoke as the feminine figure entered the room.

Chapter 9 – WHAT!?

Disbelief and horror crossed Sam’s face as the furry creature ghosted toward him. Sam not knowing what else to do scrambled away from her in any way possible as he twisted away into a corner of the room, crashing down hard to the floor with a groan. The vixen just chuckled at Sam’s initial attempts to escape until, of course, he fell to the ground as she gasped and quickly rushed over to him, only startling him more. She helped him to his feet and he seemed to be thankful but still cautious of the strange creature that towered over him, she was at least 7ft tall and very in-proportion to her size (if you know what I mean) He stepped back in admiration of the tall figure. He was reassured that she was harmless, to him anyway, when she smiled but fell a little uneasy as she revealed her large rows of pearly white dagger like teeth.
“What are you!?” He exclaimed in disbelief. Ignoring the question she chuckled.
“The other reacted just the same” She said laughing at the memory.
“Other, you don’t mean…”  He trailed off.
“What?” She replied. “You know of the other?”
“Yeah…” Sam sighed, going into a thoughtful daze before answering fully. “He was my dad.

“Your vital signs seem fine but you should rest your head, you seem to have had quite a knock.” She said with a smile trying to comfort him. Sam rubbed his head noticing a bandage around it. “There are some clothes of yours that were salvaged from the crash and a few more have been made in a similar way if somewhat worse quality” She said with a shrug. Sam walked over to the dresser unit and picked out a suit jacket and trousers and found a hand made shirt with designer label. He dressed himself with the shirt having a popped collar. He spun on the spot and looked at the vixen expectantly.
“Well, how do I look?”
The vixen examined Sam up and down and even through her dense red fur he swore he saw her blushing. “I’ll take that as an OK” He said laughing. The vixen then held out her hand-paw in an attempt to greet him properly.
“My name is Nexiva Vulpes” She announced.
“Sam Fisher” He replied taking her hand-paw smiling politely as they looked at each other expectantly. Nexiva cleared her throat with a fake cough and beckoned Sam to follow her. He became very self-conscious when he saw the height of all the other people in the hospital. He noticed that, whilst being considered tall on earth, he was tiny compared to these people, where ever he was. Walking through the lobby he saw the front desk and a large printed image on the floor of the huge white room. The lighting of the room was dazzling mainly due to the huge glass doors and wall that surrounded it. Outside was a strange looking vehicle, it had similar characteristics as cars but somehow it did not seem to touch the ground. Nexiva was just about to enter the vehicle when a small had stopped her.
“I feel I should apologise for earlier” Sam said painfully, it reminded him of the treatment of his mother.
“Don’t worry, it’s normal” She replied with a glowing smile.
“No, it’s not you see I have…” He trailed off.
“What’s the matter you’re acting like you killed some one” She laughed
“You don’t deserve what you got from me earlier and I feel I should apologise for it” He said glumly. Seeing a genuine apology she reached out and hugged Sam, much to his surprise. The vixen pulled away quickly.
“Sorry that most unprofessional of me” She said quickly. “We should go”
“Where are we going?” Sam asked ignoring the bizarre actions of the vixen.
“You are going to see the mayor, he wants to introduce you to the city and so on.” She replied still clearly reflecting on her earlier actions. Without another word the vehicle pulled away from the hospital and made for the mayor’s office.
© Copyright 2011 HappyHobo (sagemyellow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1737682-Interaction-chapters-7-9