*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738175-The-Beast
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1738175
Three men go into the mountains in search of the beast will all three come out?
           
word:3,937


                The elevation into the mountains had taken days unlike past months. However, this time was not like any of the others. This time they had real evidence, proof that the rumors were true. Hearing the rumors, well they were off in the south, of a man who had seen the beast and lived. They made haste to find the man‘s small village snuggled to the base of the mountains. He had been a young man on an expedition with a few of his friends; the beast had killed all but him. He returned to the mountains several times in his youth but never saw it again. Now old and on his deathbed, he pointed them to the place of fragile memory.
         Stephen and his two companions had traveled a great distance from their homeland, since they met a few short years ago. Stephen Turner, a tall, lanky youth; he was smart beyond his 19 years. Stephen had always loved learning. When most young boys were eating worms or scaring little girls with creepy crawlies, Stephen was watching the way they moved, and how they interacted with each other. As he grew older he had learned all he could about bugs from reading books and studies of his own. He moved from small creepy crawlies to small and fuzzy and finally to the especially rare. He had been to all the libraries in the country to study and search for the beast. His studies brought him to find his companions Captain Xavier and Matthew. They to, were in search of the creature, each of them with their own reasons to find it.
         Leading the small group up the sides of the snowy mountainside was Captain Xavier. He was a bulky muscular man for his short stature, his broad shoulder and deep chest hidden under a big brown pelt of some foreign animal. His dress was ever the winter ready. A black eye patch covered his right eye. Even with one eye missing, a stare from Captain Xavier could curdle blood. Captain Xavier was a strong man for his late years in both body and mind.
         Following close behind was Matthew; a wealthy handsome businessman. Matthew always kept his hair well oiled and combed even here in the mountains. Lady-killer Matthew was in top form at all times. His winter clothing were top of the line, best money could buy. Made of heavy-duty died blue fabric, coat, pants, hat, and gloves all matched. He looked out of place beside his companions.
         Taking up the rear was Stephen. His strawberry blonde hair a constant mess from the wind at these high elevations, Stephen did not come from riches, and his clothes lighter than any man would ever want, his moth eaten hat, scarf, and fingerless gloves kept his body covered if not warm.
         What provisions they brought were carried on their backs in small bags. It made for quicker travel but shorter trips. They were just scouting out the area, to see if the story of the beast was true. Stephen felt they had not brought enough even for this small excursion, but Captain Xavier was a seasoned adventurer and had easily over ridden him.
         They had been three days into their excursion and had seen little life here in the mountains. How a beast that once nested in the warmest parts of the world, had seen fit to spend their final days in the coldest was beyond him. For that, he hated them, yet needed to seek them. His big, thick glasses were always covered in frost, making this trip all the more worse.
         â€œOh, the prizes I’d win,” Stephen told himself as they walked through an unchanging scene. The hard, frozen ground made for slick walking. Large snow covered boulders jutted from all sides. Making them choose their steps wisely. They moved slowly across this uneven rocky ground. Looking up Stephen couldn’t see the summit of the great mountain. Clouds covered the sky in grey raining white, cold snow on them. Looking down he could see no more than a hundred feet below, as the snowflakes blurred into one, hiding the land from his eyes.
         Walking in the same formation Captain Xavier leading and Stephen bringing up the rear they hiked higher into the mountains. Stephen keeping his eyes to the ground followed their footsteps, careful not to step off the edge of any cliff. His back was sore from carrying the weight of what little provisions were left.
         Stephen and Captain Xavier talked of the dwindling food, wood, and water every night since leaving the ground below. The pass few nights the discussions had been more heated than the previous. Stephen knew what little was left would not last the trip they had planned much less with a storm that was sure to hit them. He thought they should turn back, with the supplies they had. They would make it back with some remaining. Learning more of the nature of the mountains might make the search easier. They could then re-supply with the appropriate amount of provisions and hike back into the mountains. Captain Xavier would hear none of it. He would have them push forward until there was nothing left then turn back. Matthew was no help in the matter, stating he’d joined the search knowing Captain Xavier was confident in finding the beast and they'd live to profit from it.
         Stephen never gave up his battle to return to even ground, every night taking his position from the night before. Oddly, with Matthew backing him every night Stephen found that Captain Xavier had an unbreakable will. If they continued in this way they would never live to see the beast, he wouldn‘t give up.
         Continuous snow kept everyone wet and in a dark mood. The snow seemed to get heavier as they moved farther up the mountain. Crossing the large expanse of bare ground, the grey gravel and snow slipped at every step, making the rolls on Stephen’s back seem to weigh more than they rightly should. Maddening snow fell continuously; clinging to them seeming to camouflage them into the mountain. The wind blew the snow in their faces causing it to melt against them freezing their flesh. They smartly decided to take shelter in a small cave they had come upon.
         Stephen and his companions sat within the cave listening to the wind wail. Lighting a fire they attempted to settle in for a long night. Sitting on a boulder near the fire Stephen watched Captain Xavier unroll and set up his bed for the evening. The strap from his eye patch ran a deep line through his graying dark brown hair. Coming to join them at the fire the Captain sat on another boulder. His one piercing brown eye watched the orange and yellow flames as they danced into the air before flickering out.
         Matthew lounged on the cold floor of the cave across from the pair. The fire light glistened off his side combed heavily oiled hair. His clean shaven tear drop shaped face stared blankly into the fire. His blue eyes bored, and impatience with his run of bad luck.
         â€œMatt, why are you here. This is no place for a city boy.” growled Captain Xavier. His eye watched Matthew carefully making Stephen thankful that for once that stare wasn’t for him. Never lifting his gaze Matthew scowled at the small rock in his hand “Matthew, please. I’m a boughten mob lawyer with a price on his head.”
         â€œA price, well I’ll have to remember that for when we get back on the ground” Captain Xavier’s deep throated laugh shook Stephen to the core. His smile revealing dimples in his whiskered covered cheeks.
         â€œReal funny, there is really no need for either of you to know my business.” Matthew hissed. Rolling on to his back Matthew chucked the rock into the darkness of the cave. He’d risen, and walked away saying, “I’m going to bed,” all before they heard the rock fall.
         â€œWhy are you here, Captain?” Stephen tried to whisper through clattering teeth. Captain Xavier sat and studied Stephen for several minutes, making Stephen feel as if the man now knew all of his secrets. Rising from his seat the Captain broke his gaze, removing his heavy coat. Holding it out to Stephen saying “Same as yours, boy. Go ahead and take it, I don’t think we’ll be held up in this storm for long. You need it more than I do right now.”
         â€œThank you,” was all Stephen could muster through his body shivers and teeth clattering. It was all that he wanted to say. Stephen doubted the Captain’s reasons. Captain Xavier moved back towards his freshly lain bed and shuffled through his rolls. He removed a lighter jacket made of another foreign animal, and climbed into bed. It was only a short time before Stephen too added his snores to his companions.
         They spent three more nights in the warmth of the cave hiding from the maddening storm. The second night Stephen returned the Captain’s heavy coat with more thanks. The Captain handed him his lighter jacket telling him it was for the return trip. Stephen reluctantly took it knowing the jacket would make the harsh air less torture. A brake in the storm finally came on the third morning.
         At the entrance of the cave, Stephen looked at their surroundings almost for the first time. A clear blue sky over head showed no sign of clouds. The sun just rising between a pair of Twin Mountains added a glow to the blue and white ice valley that lay before him. Looking up the peaks rising miles above his head, the Mountain sides were punctuated by caves. Similar to their own, Stephen imagined. Captain Xavier stepped up beside Stephen stretching. Turning on him, Stephen said, “As long as this amazing weather holds even for a few days we may make it back to the village without starving.”
         â€œWe’re not going back. We’re close; we pasted the place where the village man saw his beast miles back.”
         â€œThey live far longer than man, so assuming the beast was not of old age then one can again guess that it would remain in the same vicinity that proved safe for so many years,” Stephen said frowning at his feet, his mind racing with excitement.
         â€œI’ll tell Matthew we’re moving out, and help him pack so we can be on our way.” Stephen turned back into the sullen darkness leaving Captain Xavier in his glory at the mouth of the cave. Matthew gave no argument to the Captain’s orders. Simply helped Stephen pack the supplies and dose the fire. Together they walked back to the entrance finding Captain Xavier sitting on a boulder on the wall at the mouth. Stepping back into the light Stephen guarded his eyes to look over the empty ice valley. Taking his bag from Matthew the Captain pointed to the far side of the valley on their side, where it disappeared around the side of the mountain. “We’re headed there. We’ve been right on top of it this whole time.”
         â€œThese caves would make for good shelter, and this nearly empty valley would make it easy to see anything,” Stephen agreed “but how are we to locate it if it sees us coming?”
         â€œWell, my boy, this is a scouting party. All we need to do is flush it out. Then we turn back, and return for the big prize.”
         â€œI’m tired of waiting on that big prize there Captain,” shot in Matthew. They descended the small rocky slop onto the valley. Walking proved difficult on the slick surface of the ice. They stayed to the edge, where ice, snow, and mountain met over forty thousand feet in the air. They progressed quickly despite the slippery surface. Heads held high, and the longer quickened strides all clues to their excitement of being so close to the beast.
         Turning the long curve of the mountain the ice sheet ended almost at a point in a cove where a smaller mountain branched off of its larger sibling. Looking up the side of the mountain they’d been circling, the larger of the two, Stephen could see three caves of various sizes. To the far left, lay the highest cave. Well quite faraway Stephen could tell this cave was about the size of the one they had been at only a few hours ago. Snow and rock build up had almost hidden the opening; they would find nothing in there.
         The middle cave would make a more hospitable place for any creature. It stood much closer to the edge of the ice valley. Seeing the snow along the entrance of the cave showed no signs of life. Its small size alone would not allow an inhabitant of the beast’s grand size admittance. Neither of the first two would be worth fighting the deep snow to peek inside.
         The third cave not further back from the middle one was the largest, standing twice as tall. The bare rock at the entrance a clear sign something was keeping it open. Without question the three companions made their way up the snow covered mountain, forced to walk through thigh deep snow, freshly laid from the three day storm. The snow was mostly powder, probably the reason it had not stuck to the ice valley. Well it wasn’t impossible to move through, with the supplies they didn’t have, they were all grateful when their feet scratched against the bare rock that surrounded the mouth of the cave. There they all hesitated.
         Stephen sheltered his eyes with his hand, and slowly slid his gaze to the sky. The sun stood almost at its highest point. They’d been walking for days and now stood at the door steps of their destinies, but he was scared. Taking a big gulp he all but whispered, “Now that we know where the beast lives. We should go back get supplies and return when we have weapons.”
         â€œWhy you whispering, boy, you scared? Now that we’re standing just before what we have been searching for, for years, you want to turn tail and run? Well, this Captain says no. We’re not leaving till I’ve seen it with my own eye. I need to know it exists, Stephen.” Captain Xavier growled more softly than usual. Captain Xavier turned his deep brown eye on Stephen; the power in his stare showed a hint of pleading, it seemed to Stephen.
         Taking a deep breath Stephen took a determined step forward. He walked on never looking back to see if they would follow, fearing that if he stopped he’d never be able to start again. He felt the rocks crunching under his feet and heard the ones under his companions as they followed behind him.
         Stephen never paused at the mouth of the cave. The walls of the cave were huge black boulders, the condensation evaporating in the heat of the cave. Beads of sweat ran down Stephen’s face flavoring his mouth with salt every time he licked his dry chapped lips. He stopped to light a lantern. He pulled off his glasses wiping the sweat from his forehead and eyes, before replacing them on his face. Holding the lantern high over his head Stephen walked to the back of the cave.
         About twenty feet in Stephen’s lantern found another tunnel. Standing at the mouth of it, he stood considering it. His lantern light only revealed the few feet in front of him, but the tunnel looked no different than the one they stood in. Only after both Matthew and Captain Xavier shifting feet showed their eagerness for him to decide that Stephen continued to walk straight down the tunnel they were in. Thinking all the while one couldn’t get lost if all they had to do is run straight. Little good it would do them if they encountered the beast and were forced to flee. The open land on the outside would make it easy for it to pick off everyone of them.
         The heat of the cave became almost unbearable. It reminded him of the summer his mother had needed to bake an apple pie in the heat of mid-summer. At first he’d been excited about pie but as the heat of the oven turned their little home into one, Stephen had been forced out into the almost cooling summer day. Balancing the lantern on a rock, Stephen stopped to stare at the flickering light that showed the bend in the tunnel just ahead of them. He wiped the sweat from his forehead one more time.
         Leaving the lantern where it sat Stephen moved towards the light. Moving around the corner of the tunnel they stood deep in the mountain. Looking straight up the roof of the cavern couldn’t be seen. Large natural columns started at the floor and up into the heavy darkness above their heads. Just ten paces in front of them was a small pile of rocks, afire. The flames leaped twice a man tall, deep blues and purples at the almost molten rocks, yellows and white at the top. This impossibly placed torch caused a bright circle of light around it. The fire dried the ground around it, making the rock an odd grayish brown. The walls closes matched.
         Kicking a pebble a few feet Matthew hastily stepped backwards out of the heat, saying “What is that?”
         â€œThat is the beast’s nest. There’d be about three eggs in there. She, apparently, will keep that roaring hot till she begins to hear cracking. Then she’ll allow that flames to cool but not go out. The young will be born bathed in flames. It’s said that the flames are needed to spark the breath,” Stephen said stepping closer to the heat trying to peer in, desperately wanting to see the books turned real.
         Walking past Captain Xavier and Matthew back into the tunnel, Captain turned to join him asking, “Is there a chance that the eggs will hatch unharmed if the flames go out?”
         â€œUm… it depends on how close to hatching they are. I guess so. Little is known of the beast. They’ve simply been turned to myth never having really existed.”
         â€œThey’ll still be worth a lot even if they don’t hatch. That’s one egg each if there are three in there.” Captain Xavier said a grin growing across his face. Stephen only frowned at the tunnel floor, ready to return home. Captain Xavier grabbed the lantern as they walked past. The circle of dull light leading them back along their path, Matthew followed close to their backs, nearly pushing them aside in his eagerness to be away from the beast’s nest, looking over his shoulder at the bright light at the end of the tunnel. Elbowing Matthew hard in the ribs Captain Xavier growled, “Matthew, you should fear me more than them eggs. You step on me again; I’m going to break your nose.”
         â€œCaptain, I didn’t think we’d actually find one, never mind a family.” the conversation faded behind Stephen as he walked away, placing his hand on the dry warmth of the rock wall. He guided himself blindly to the entrance of the cave. He could feel the cool air in his lungs and on his flesh long before he saw the light of the outside world. He removed his hand from the spotty moist wall when he stood at the entrance. He stared at the glossy white snow, waiting and wondering. Stephen murmured as Captain and Matthew approached the cave’s opening, “They are a family.”
         â€œWhat you say, Boy.” Captain said. He and Matthew stopping behind him, Turning Stephen said again. “Matthew’s right. They are a family. A mother will stay with the nestlings till their fully capable of hunting for themselves. They’re the last. I’m sure the beast is very close to becoming a real myth, gone from memory.”
         â€œThat’s why we’re taking it home when we bring it down, Boy. So people will know. Those eggs are just a bonus.”
         â€œNo,” Stephen yelled thrusting his finger in the air pointing behind them, the way they had come. “I can’t allow you to kill the beast or harm those eggs. If they survive to maturity, they themselves may save the beasts for another generation. They may not be lost in our lifetime. We saw they exist, we know they continue to exist, that is enough.”
         This time it was Matthew that spoke grinding his teeth, “No, Stephen it’s not. I know Captain will agree with me. We weren’t up here to see it for science or for books. I want all the money the carcass of the beast and those eggs are going to bring me. Poor Boy, there is no chance of you stopping us.” Turning to stare at the snow just beyond the large circle of bare gravel ground, His frown deepened, a headache drawing his brows together, the thundering in his head growing louder. Only when the wind blew a foggy sheet of powered snow in the air, that Stephen realized that the thunder was not in his head.
         The roaring whoosh of its beating wings were almost deafening. The beast landed with a graceful thud. Large golden scales covered her long, smooth body everywhere but her creamy underside, an evolutionary trait shared with her distant cousin the snake. Standing tall, her beautiful S curved neck raised her head grazing the roof of the entrance. Her head down turned showed off her deadly boney horn at the point of her muzzle. Her yellow eyes ate at Stephen’s soul.
         A deep rumble from her chest made the hairs on his neck rise to match the horns that ran down hers. She drew in a long breath extended her neck. Opening her mouth the heat rushed at him, scorching his body knocking him back. The air passing by his ears screamed “Tommy.”

….

         Tommy sat staring at the pile of rocks in front of him, the large rock on top with a sharp point on the front. He can always see the sun shining off golden scales in the lichen covered grey. He stood turning away, his rump and hands hurt from the gravel. He looked at his trousers and was surprised to see blood darkening the tan of his pants, it didn’t hurt. Taking the sleeve of his long blue shirt, he tried to whip some of the blood away.
         â€œTommy. It’s getting near supper time. Momma will switch us good if we’re late again,” said Tommy’s brother as he stood from behind a large rock, pushing honey blonde curls behind his ears. David was his elder by two years. His white shirt tucked in to green pants. So small he didn’t need anything to keep them up. Well Tommy got all of David’s hand me downs needed suspenders to keep from tripping over his trousers.
         â€œI want to be Captain Xavier. I’m always the Poor Boy,” Tommy said wrinkling his nose at his brother.
         â€œMaybe, next time you’ll get eaten,” teased David’s best friend, Jackson. Jackson crouched behind the rock David had stood from. A tattered rag covered most of his right face and most of his dark brown hair. His finely pressed blue trousers, and white shirt stained by their play. He always wore a mischievous grin, his laughing brown eyes adding to his sharp pointed face.
         â€œJackson, leave him alone. Tommy you can be the Captain next time.”

David said glancing at Jackson. “We’ll come play again tomorrow.”
© Copyright 2011 S. Brown (snuffyb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738175-The-Beast