*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738616-Pebbles
by sinead
Rated: E · Prose · Philosophy · #1738616
Consideration of the meaning of life...
Why did you throw the pebble?
Imagine finding a small pebble on a beach, you bend down to inspect it. It is jagged and dented with numerous imperfections. You pick it up and look out at the ocean.

Turning the pebble in your hand you unquestioningly throw it towards the water. It skims further along the surface then you ever could have imagined, and causes hundreds of ripples that carry on long after the pebble has fallen to the murky depths.

Now imagine the pebble's current resting place, it has sunk to the seabed and lays amongst various other rocks and pebbles.
This pebble, this pebble that you found important enough to pick up and cast out to sea, has no true lasting effect. Sure it created ripples at one point, but in the end the ocean is still the same and will go on just as it always has. Now that the pebble has stopped moving the ocean no longer recognizes it's existence or cares that it once ever touched it's shimmering surface.

The ocean is so vast that it will never truly matter how many pebbles you throw, in the end the pebble will stop moving and the ocean will go on.

So I ask you, what was the point? Why did you throw the pebble?
© Copyright 2011 sinead (sinead106 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738616-Pebbles