*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738947-The-Forsaken
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1738947
A distressed man communicates with God and gets a lesson he didn't expect.


The Forsaken

Once upon a time, a man was in great mental anguish over the state of the world; all the hate, starvation, disease, poverty and the wars supposedly being fought in God's name, fell to his knees on the beach casting his eyes skyward and crying out in a loud voice to the Heavenly Father,
“My Lord in heaven, why have you forsaken us? There are those who say that you are a kind, caring, loving, benevolent God. If so, why have you allowed such horrible things to come to pass among us, your children? If you are so perfect and all powerful, why do you not save us from our strife? I can only guess that we have displeased you so greatly that we are no longer worthy of your attention. On behalf of all the others I say, we are sorry.” With that, the man fell prone and cried his despair into the sand.

At this particular point in time there was no wind blowing, the air was dead calm. Presently, a warm breeze began caressing the man's flesh, seemingly coming from an indeterminate direction. The sea, however, did not ripple, it remained as fluid glass and tall grasses nearby did not waver. The sky became blindingly bright. Then a voice was heard, not coming from without him but from within. The voice spoke directly to him.
“My son, my son, how greatly you misunderstand me. It is true, I am displeased with many things done at the hand of mankind, but I have not turned my back on you. I am merely waiting for you to wake up and set yourself straight. It is like this; First I created a perfect world, then I created perfect human bodies. I gave them intelligence and the ability to think and and to reason and to love and to know right from wrong and to make decisions. Evidently, not all those decisions were the correct ones. Then the snake came. It let evil loose in the world and it infected the hearts of mankind. In spite of that, you still have the intelligence to do the right thing and to shun the evil one.”

As the Lord spoke to the man he once again was back on his knees looking up to the Light with outstretched arms. A look of wonder and awe was upon his eyes.

And God continued, “It was never my intention to determine before hand every single thing that happens to you every day, nor to outline your entire future. I gave you the ability to think, to reason, to make your own plans, to do only that which is right and to do no harm to any living thing. It is time for you to make then carry out those plans. If any of them turn out wrong then you must learn from your mistakes, hopefully not at the expense of your brothers and sisters, nor of yourself. I left you an instruction book that tells you all you need to know to make your life right. Follow my example and you will never go wrong. Go in peace, my son and spread my words.”

With that the light returned to normal and the air was still again. The man now smiled a knowing smile and with a different kind of tear in his eye. “Thank you Lord,” he replied, “you were right, I didn't know. But now I do and I will go speak to my brothers and sisters and give them your words. Then the man returned to his people.
© Copyright 2011 Michael Sean Mason (runningbear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1738947-The-Forsaken