*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740649-The-Night-Watch
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest Entry · #1740649
A group of security guards have an unexpected visitor.
Kev was freezing. He was patrolling the power station's outer fence, far from the warmth of the cooling towers, and the night sky was crystal clear. Hale-Bopp hung in the blackness, a spooky silver smudge that Kev didn't like at all. He finished his round and went back to the security hut.


Inside, Derek and Nige sat watching the TV.

“They reckon there's been UFOs sighted round here,” Nige said, filling him in on the TV news.

“Maybe it's the comet?” Kev suggested.

“Don't be soft.” Derek mocked, “It's bloody hippies getting worked up. Too much wacky baccy.”

“What's hippies got to do with it?”

“They had a camp up here last summer. Something to do with global warming. They had folks giving talks and there was this one fella banging on about UFOs and how the aliens were checking up on us. Right set of tools if you ask me.”

“Er, boss,” the radio crackled, “you should probably see this.” It was Rajesh on the south fence.

“What is it?”

“You better come. Bring everyone.”

“I hope nowt's been stolen.” Derek grumbled.


When they got there Rajesh was standing stock still.  In his torch beam stood a short, grey skinned creature. Its limbs were spindly, its head bulbous.

“Bloody 'ell!” Derek whispered.

The creature watched them with big black eyes.

“What do we do, boss?"

“'ow do I know?”

A device on the creature's wrist lit up and emitted a babbling sound. The creature babbled back into it. Two seconds later there was a vague whining sound followed by a flash. The men stumbled backwards in shock and when they looked the alien was gone.

They stood there, silent and dumbfounded.


“Alright lads,” Derek said at last, “back to work.”





© Copyright 2011 Steve Wilds (gibbonici at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740649-The-Night-Watch