*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740765-An-Angelic-Visit
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1740765
Short story about the strong bond of family.
An Angelic Visit


It all started on a rainy, cold Friday morning in April. I was frantically writing a legal brief that was due at 8 am on Monday. I was about to type the last two words when the phone rang.

“Smith and Kahn, how may I help you?” I asked.

“This is Johnstown Community Hospital, Fred speaking. Your father just suffered a major heart attack,” the man said calmly. I gasped and almost dropped the phone out of my right hand from shaking so much. It was silent for a few minutes as I tried to comprehend what just happened. I tried to compose myself as best I could as the man continued, “You should see him as soon as you can."

“Thanks, I'll be right there,” I quietly said and sent a short e-mail to my boss. I grabbed my brown suede coat out of the metal closet and ran downstairs to my car. I made it to the hospital in 10 minutes, thanks to all green lights. I parked in the “guest” parking lot, near the front door.


When the front automatic doors opened, a waft of bleach greeted me. I almost retched in the middle of the hospital. I walked up to the receptionist and said, “I’m here to see a patient. His name is Walter Smith."

She checked the chart and told me, “He’s in room 215. The assistant over there will help you" and pointed to a woman in smocks standing across the room in front of a huge door. I walked over to the woman and we walked through a dimly lit hallway. Several patients screamed in the closed doors and I looked back at the woman.

“You’ll get used to it when you’ve worked here for 25 years. Most of the patients on this side of the hospital are recovering from surgery or are here for physical therapy. The ones who are in physical therapy are in tremendous pain,” she said. The woman checked the chart she carried in her right hand and paused when we reached room 215.

“He has been on oxygen for a few hours so don’t let the cables frighten you”. She knocked on the door and left.



I quietly went in and walked over to the hospital bed. He was sleeping and had a blanket pulled up to his chin. At first, I did not receognize him, he changed so much. I saw the veins in his head and his face was so pale it was almost transuclent. His body was mere skin and bones; he looked so weak and helpless. I remember him telling me that he fought in World War II and I always remember him being tough. This man lying in bed looked like he wouldn't even hurt a fly. I gently took his hand in mine, not wanting to wake him, and started crying. He heard me and woke up.

“Hi honey. I'm glad you came," he said as he opened his eyes and smiled at me. “Don’t cry. I’m alright.”

“I can’t remember you ever smiling,” I said and he smiled again.

"Maybe you just forgot," he said and smiled at me again. "I feel so much at peace right now. I have no regrets. I can feel that it's my time."

“Don’t say that."

“It's not a big deal. Everyone dies, Kate. It’s just a part of life. You will know when it’s your time,” he calmly said.

“Don’t say that,” I repeated, a tear streaming down my left eye. He reached over and dried my eye.

“You were such a great daughter. You never gave your mom and me a thing to worry about. I knew you would go far in your life. You were always smart and determined, even as a little girl. Now you're a nurse. I'm so proud of you and love you so much,” he whispered and smiled at me. He then gave my hand a light squeeze. He closed his eyes and gave me a radiant smile. A few minutes later, I felt his hand go limp and letting go was the hardest thing I had to do in my entire life. I couldn't hold it in anymore and started sobbing. I cried for the man who helped me study for my SATs, who walked me down the aisle at my wedding, and so many other countless deeds that I couldnt' even begin to count. I wasn't sure if I would ever stop crying but I eventually did. I dragged my body up off the chair and slowly walked over to tell the receptionist. I told her what happened and she gave me a warm hug.


I drove back to my apartment on the west side of Pennsylvania. When I opened the door, the answering machine was blinking.
“You have one new message. Message one."
"It's your brother Danny. I heard dad was in the hospital. Let me know how he is.” .
I took a glass out of the cabinet and turned on the faucet. I took a sip and dialed Danny’s number.
“Hey Danny, I have some bad news,” I said and told him. He also cried.
“How does this sound? If I took a plane to Pennsylvania and help you with the arrangements”
"That sounds good and thanks,” I said and we hung up. I got ready for bed a few minutes later.


I woke up at 10 am on Saturday.

“I wonder if Danny was able to find a flight,” I thought and dialed his cell phone. His voicemail immediately picked up and I left a short message. I went into the bathroom and turned on the water for a shower.

“Well, I’ll start looking. I’ll just drive around and see what’s available,” I thought out loud. I ate breakfast and left a few minutes later. I drove two blocks to Tumbleweed Street and started looking. I didn’t see any funeral home and decided to drive a bit further. As I merged onto the highway, I saw a semi truck in my rearview mirror. I turned on my right turn signal but it was too late. The driver was going too fast and hit me. The impact sent my car spinning. The car ended up hitting the concrete guardrail and I hit my head very hard on the windshield. I remember seeing a bright light coming from the passenger seat. I instantly felt calm and heard a male's voice tell me, "you are going to be alright; you will be safe” and then everything went black


The ambulance rushed me to the nearest hospital, Johnstown Community Hospital. I was in surgery for 14 hours. My surgeon told me later that I even died for a few seconds on the operating table. When the surgery was over, they took me to a private room. I was in a coma for 48 hours. When I opened my eyes for the first time, I saw Danny sitting on the chair next to my bed.

“Hi Kate. We didn’t think you’d make it,” he said.

“Thanks,” I replied sarcastically.

“There’s my sister. What happened?"

“Dad was there, in the car with me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, without a doubt. Some things you just know. Do you know what I mean?” I said.

Yes. I think dad may be your guardian angel.”

I smiled and said, “He probably is. He probably is.”
© Copyright 2011 christine31 (chrissy30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740765-An-Angelic-Visit