*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740870-Dont-Do-It-Dont-Do-It
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1740870
Watch this, the man said
I gave the car a slow walk around. Then I took the bag of tools roughly from Garth's hand and got down on my back in the dirt. I slid myself under the Caddy.
When I came back out I was dirty, but the car looked clean. When I slid out Garth was standing over me as I lay on the dirt. When I stood up, he was still standing over me.
“You don't think I checked?” he asked.
He was a foot taller than me and he liked to use it.
“'Trust but verify'” I said.
He looked down at me blank-faced.
“Ronald Reagan,” I added and walked away. “I need to think.”
“The money's in there!” Garth said, whispering now. His face had gone soft, his eyes searching mine. Reasoning.
“I don't like it,” I said. "It's too easy."
“The money's in there!” he screamed.
“It's rigged,” I said, pacing. “You open that door you're dead!”
”'Money stolen is twice as sweet as money earned,'” he said.
“It's 'Money 'won' . I said, “Paul Newman, Color of Money.You're an idiot!”
“Sticks and stones may--”
“Save it, you're an idiot! Marconi going to leave cash in a car out here?"
“I have a good feeling...” Garth said jingling car keys in his hand. He had a goofy look of Watch this! on his face.
“You will blow sky high!” I said, backing way away.
He put a key into the door and looked back.
“How do you know?” he asked.
The flame looked like a comet shooting out through the roof of the car.
“I didn't know,” I said to what was left of Garth. “'Imagination is more important than knowledge,'" I began walking.
“Albert Einstein,” I added.

299 words-






© Copyright 2011 Winchester Jones (ty.gregory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740870-Dont-Do-It-Dont-Do-It