*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740895-Mary-Ann
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1740895
A little baby who warmed a heart that couldn't be warmed before.
"Sit anywhere you like, hon. I'll bring you a menu." The raven-haired lady strolled up to Susan.

"Just a glass of water would be great." Susan's belly stood out in front of her like a beach ball as she waddled to a booth and plopped down.

"Comin' right up." Samantha walked to the kitchen and waltzed back out with a glass of water.

"Thank you." Susan took a sip of the water and touched her stomach. Sweet baby, you're pushing down on my bladder. I'm so glad I just got a small glass of water. "Do you know where Dolbus is?"

"It's forty miles north in the next county."

Susan brushed away the stray auburn locks from her creamy complexion. The baby shifted, crushing her organs. She put her feet up, her ankles swollen with fluid.

"How far along are you, Sweetie?"

"I'm due in three and a half weeks."

"Your ankles are so swollen, and you look tired. Let me call Dr. St. Ives for you. Better safe than sorry, you know."

"That's okay. I just need to sit here for a moment."

"It's no trouble. We don't want anything happenin' to your baby now." Samantha walked to the phone lying on the cherry wood counter.

Susan felt much discomfort as the baby kicked. She surveyed the small diner and glanced at the cerulean wallpaper and tablecloths. A jukebox sat on the right side of the room, not too far from the counter with its matching stools. She smelled the day's fried chicken and apple pie coming from the back. Samantha strolled back to where Susan sat.

Samantha smiled and sat by her. "What's your name?"

"Susan Barry."

Samantha held her hand. "Are you feelin' any pain?"

"Yes, my baby's moving everywhere, and my ankles are killing me."

"The ambulance and the doctor are busy. The doctor's wife, Marianna, will come get you. It's custom for her to get patients in times like these. We're a small town, so we do with what we have." Susan stared at Samantha.

"What's your name?"

"Samantha Webster."

"Do you own the Deacon Diner?"

"Yes. Just rest now, honey, Marianna will be here soon. The sun's out, and I hate it. It just kills me. I'll be back in the kitchen if you need anything."

"Okay, thanks."

Samantha walked over to the jukebox and put on "Dream, Dream, Dream" by the Everly Brothers and went back into the kitchen. Susan leaned back on the wall and closed her eyes while listening to the song. Having dozed off, Susan was awakened by a cold hand on her shoulder. She glanced up and stared at a woman with piercing blue eyes, flaxen hair, and a pale complexion. The woman was so thin it seemed her bones might pierce her skin.

"You must be Susan. Your baby should be coming very soon. Within three weeks, I'd guess." She gazed over Susan's stomach, sat down by her, and smiled.

"Are you Marianna?"

"Yes, I'm going to take you to my house. The hospital rooms are full. My husband has an examination room and a recovery room at our house for emergencies like this. Let me help you up."

The hospital's full. Is it safe to go with her? I'm sure it is. She let Marianna lift her under her arms. Marianna sure is tall. I bet she's at least five-foot-ten. Susan and Marianna shuffled out of the diner and walked to a burgundy van that had 'Deacon Emergency Vehicle' written on it. Susan lay in the back of it.

"Just lay back, dear, we'll be there in just a few minutes."

Susan propped herself on her elbows to see where they were going. They passed a few small shops and quaint houses. This town looks like something out of Southern Living magazine. When they arrived at Marianna's house, Susan surveyed the well-kept yard with a mahogany gazebo and a garden of assorted roses. Dark shadows filled the house. However, Susan could see a sofa and love seat in the first room they passed.

After that, they walked down a long hall. Marianna led her to a room that was all black with a hospital bed in the middle of the room and a small examining table in the far corner. This room smells like ammonia and rotten eggs. Maybe it's just pregnancy hormones. It's everywhere! Marianna even smells like it too!

"Lie down on the bed. I'll call my husband."

"Okay. I'm really tired. Thank you."

"One last thing, are you married or have any relatives you're close to?"

"No, I just divorced my husband, and my parents haven't spoken to me in three years. I was on my way to Dolbus to go to court to make my ex pay child support when the baby comes."

"That's all I need to know. You rest now." Marianna waltzed out of the room.

Why does that question strike me as odd? Why's Marianna so pale? Why do her bones stick out so much? Why's her touch so cold? That gosh awful smell's still lingering. What's going on here? I don't want to be rude to people who are trying to help, but what if it's something else? Mamma always said I was too trusting.

Susan felt a cold chill over her body as she became apprehensive about the new surroundings. She fell into an agitated sleep. When an annoying bright light woke her, a tall, lanky man stood over her bed. He had ebony hair, icy blue eyes, and a light yellow complexion. His skin appeared to be stretched thin, causing his cheekbones to seem as though they would break his skin.

He touched her hand, and it felt cold. "I'm Doctor Philip St.Ives. I see you're in your last month. Don't you know it's risky to travel?"

"I know, but I've got to make sure my dead beat ex pays child support. He's trying to weasel out of it."

"I see. I'm going to give you something to make you more comfortable. Don't worry, it won't hurt the baby at all." The doctor held the needle up.

"Okay, if it won't hurt the baby."

"I wouldn't dare." He pulled her right sleeve up and administered the shot.

He turned off the light and crept out of the room. Should I've let him give me that shot? As the minutes went on, her thoughts became cloudy. She fell into a deep sleep, then she dreamed of swimming in an ocean, and moments later she dreamed that she was drowning.

She sat up and screamed, "My water has broke! My water has broke!"

The doctor and his wife both ran in the room.

"You're going into labor." The doctor sat in front of Susan.

"Why am I going into labor before I'm supposed to?" screamed Susan.

"A woman can go into labor at any time in the ninth month."

These pains are unbearable. My stomach and back are killing me! She moaned, groaned, screamed, and shrieked. The doctor had Susan put her feet up in stirrups, then he and Marianna crept over to the corner. While Susan was screaming and moaning, the doctor and Marianna whispered in the corner.

Susan glared at the two of them conversing. What are they talking about? Have they forgotten that I'm in labor? The doctor and his wife hurried back over to Susan.

"Breathe, dear, breathe." Marianna held her hand.

Susan concentrated on her breathing. I've never felt so horrible in my life! Oh, my gosh, something's wrong! The baby's not moving right! She let out a gigantic scream.

"Stop pushing for a moment. The baby's breached, but I can move it," the doctor said.

Dr. St. Ives reached in and moved the baby. "Now give me a good push."

Susan pushed while Marianna was by her side and wiping Susan's forehead with a cloth.

"I see the baby's head. Give me one more good push," the doctor said.

After Susan gave another push, a baby girl's cry pierced Susan's ears. The doctor took the baby to the small table.

"What are you going to name her?" Marianna smiled at Susan.

"I'm going to name her Mary Ann." A tear came to Marianna's eye as she smiled. "I'm going to see what's taking so long with the examination. I'll be right back, dear."

Susan watched Dr. St. Ives examine the baby and talk with Marianna. I can't hear what they say. Wonder what they're talking about? I'm so tired, and I want to hold my baby.

"Could we let the baby live?" whispered Marianna.

"Why?" The doctor turned to her.

"She named the baby after me. You know I've always wanted a baby and can't have one. We can feed on Susan. She won't taste as good, but she'll do. Better yet, we could let them both live if you promise not to sleep with Susan. I know how you are with young human women."

"What has gotten into you? You've never said anything about our arrangement until now."

"I'm tired of this. If things don't change, I'm leaving. I can do better. Your brother has wanted me for years. I could leave today and go to him now."

"What? You would leave me for my brother and break up our home because of my slip ups? I love you."

"You call this love? I starve myself to look beautiful to please you. I gave up so much for you. I gave up being a human for you and became a zombie."

"Okay, have it your way. Susan can be your maid, and the baby can be yours. What if Susan won't bend to your will so easily?"

"I'll work with her. She has no one and nowhere to go. Susan will thank me for this in time." Marianna picked up Mary Ann.

Susan glanced up at Marianna walking toward her with the baby in her arms. "You rest now, and you and Mary Ann will stay in my guest room for a few days."

"Thank you. I don't know how I can ever repay your kindness."

"Don't worry about it. You just rest now. I'll take care of Mary Ann." Marianna cradled the baby in her arms.

1705 words
© Copyright 2011 very thankful (sisterofmercy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1740895-Mary-Ann