*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1741012-Just-In-Time
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1741012
A futuristic time travel experiment goes awry - 300 word Flash Fiction Contest
“8...7...6...5...Charging in...3...2...1. Good luck gentlemen, the hearts of the world go with you.”

The words faded from their headsets as the Time Transfer Capsule (Experimental) flickered out of existence. The two man crew set about their tasks, always with one eye on the atomic calendar.

“Transference field is stable," Captain Gregory reported, "we're looking good.”

“Captain, we've got a surge in the primary capacitor array.” Anders said.

“Bring it down, Anders.”

“Sir, it's going-”

There was a bang and a control panel burst from the console, smashing into Anders face. He slumped back in his chair, bloodied and unconscious. The capsule filled with smoke.

*


“Are we there yet?” Anders mumbled, barely conscious.

“Yeah, we're here. 70 million BC,” Captain Gregory threw his wrench to the ground, “and we ain't getting back. The ship's a wreck.”

“Good afternoon, gentlemen!” A man appeared over a nearby rise, waving his hand. He wore Victorian-style explorer khakis and a pith helmet.

“What the- ?” Captain Gregory said.

“Oh, hey there,” Anders slurred.

The man continued down the rise and stopped in front of Captain Gregory, hand outstretched.

“Professor Archibald Stanton-Ffoulkes, at your service. Very pleased to meet you!”

Captain Gregory blinked and shook his hand.

“Problem with your machine, eh?" the Professor continued, "I say, she's a beauty ain't she?”

“Er, yeah. Wh- Where did you come from?”

“Just over the hill there. I heard you arrive and thought I'd pop over and say hello.”

“No, I mean this is 70 million BC, right?”

“Oh, I see! Yes, it is. I'm from England, 24th May, 1891.”

“And, er, you got here, how?”

“My Time Omnibus. Built her myself, fruition of a lifetime's work. She's parked by the river,” he jerked a thumb over his shoulder, “perhaps I could give you gentlemen a lift somewhen?”



© Copyright 2011 Steve Wilds (gibbonici at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1741012-Just-In-Time