*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742457-The-Ring-of-Galatea-2nd-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mythology · #1742457
Could a strange ring found in a fountain change Sally's life?
Sally sat on the octagonal, concrete wall surrounding the Brewer fountain. She placed her soda next to her and retrieved her homemade clam chowder. The gentle breeze and abundant sunshine both flowed over her. A hopeful sparrow hopped nearby – eyeing Sally’s fare.

She pulled out her notebook and began to write, when she heard a ‘plop’ in the water behind her. She peered up at the statue of Galatea and her hand extended from her beautiful form. Her eyes seemed unusually shiny in the late afternoon sun and glinted as she stared at them. Sally swore the eyes glanced down. She glimpsed a ring in the basin just below the outstretched fingers of Galatea. She reached down in the cold water and retrieved it. Mystic symbols were engraved upon it.

Sally examined the piece of jewelry and slipped it on her finger. A loud breath like blowing into a microphone, struck Sally’s ears. She surveyed the peaceful landscape, but saw no one. A strange sensation swept over her and her joints felt stiff. Dizzy, she decided to walk back to her office. She had already lost track of time and realized she’d used all her lunch hour.

She quickened her pace, but the further she tread, the more uncomfortable she became. Her joints stiffened. An overwhelming hot flash rushed over her. She shed her vest, tossing it into some bushes. Unbottoning her blouse, she tossed it over a railing. After a few minutes she’d thrown away all her clothes and stopped in the rainbow of a gushing fire hydrant.

The water flowed down her bronze skin. She bathed in the cool water, enjoying the sensation. Her feet anchored in the cement. Only the ring remained on her finger with the Greek inscription, “To My Love whom I created – Pygmalion.”


300 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Microphone, Shiny, Fountain


Note: There really is a Brewer Fountain in Boston, MA. Donated to the city by Gardner Brewer, a wealthy merchant, the fountain is an 1855 replica of one seen at the world fair in Paris. Dalatea is represented along with Poseidon and a few other minor mythological characters.
© Copyright 2011 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742457-The-Ring-of-Galatea-2nd-Place