*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742956-The-Flame-in-His-eyesPart-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Emotional · #1742956
A romance with the twist of a Christian convictions
The Flame in His Eyes/Darlene Pharris







Chapter Two





It was mid morning when Susie pulled her car into the parking lot of the apartment management office where she had leased an apartment for the next six months. It was a clean place, and it seemed to be quiet. At least she hoped it was. It did not take long to sign all the necessary papers and receive the keys. The apartment was a simple one bedroom with a soft peach and blue accent wall in the living area. The small bath also had the soft peach and blue accents. They were calming and helped to sooth her shattered spirit.



Finally, I am here. This is the beginning of a whole new life, but she could not stop the prick of pain that hit her heart as she let her mind drift back to Los Angeles one more time. She quickly shook those thoughts from her mind and began to look forward to a new world with new friends and new employment responsibilities. She was shocked when a thought of HIM drifted through her mind. Why was he still there? Why did she feel that strange tingle when she looked into his eyes? This was silly. She tried to shake him from her thoughts. This was just too weird.



As she left the leasing office, she noticed a small shopping mall where a restaurant, called the Black-eyed Pea, welcomed the hungry. Strangely, she was really very hungry. The place was crowded. The evening patrons where enjoying a great meal, a cool drink and fellowship with friends and family. Ugh. It sure made her ache for the love she thought she had with Derek.



She quickly shook off those thoughts and enjoyed a great home style meal consisting of two grilled pork chops, quash casserole, pinto beans, green salad and corn bread. On the way back to her apartment, she stopped at a grocery mart and bought a few things. Just enough to get her through until her things arrived and she could get settled into her place.



She rented a motel room for the night as her things would not arrive until the next day. She spent a quiet evening curled up on the bed reading a book that she was able to escape into the storyline. For a short time her mind was soothed. She did not know what time she had drifted off to sleep, but she had really rested. Today would be a good day she thought. "Thank you, Father" she whispered.



Around nine that morning, the truck arrived to deliver her things. She had them unload a few things, just enough to be comfortable in this little apartment. She would store the rest of her things in a "You Store It" center. She would not need them until she found her new home.



The delivery of her things was completed in a very short time. So, she spent the balance of the day settling into her apartment. After settling in, she went exploring. She needed to find a new church home. She always kept her commitment to her Heavenly Father, and she really needed Him right now. She saw several possibilities and decided to start visiting until she felt at home.



The next day was Saturday so she decided to just escape and explore her new world. First she drove to the location of her new office. It was just a few miles north on I-45, at Greenspoint. It was just a quick drive from her apartment. She was assured driving to her office on Monday would not be difficult, even though she had been warned about Houston's rush hour traffic.



While driving to Greenspoint she saw a sign referencing a place called "Old Town Spring". The sign said there were lots of shops displaying crafts for sale. She decided that would be a fun way to spend the remainder of that cool Saturday morning.



Exploring Old Town Spring was a delightful way to spend the day. She felt as far away from the world as was possible. She found a candle shop with a fabulous selection of scented candles and cute holders to place them in. Susie picked out several to add to her little apartment, hoping to give a homier feeling.





She was delighted to find an Amish shop that sold many of the wares they used in their daily lives. She let her mind imagine how it must be to live so simply. Not to have the world engulfing everything you did. She felt a twinge of pain as her mind drifted back over that scene of betrayal, one more time.

Susie selected a handmade quilt from the large selection in the Amish Shop. It was a beautiful wedding ring pattern in soft peaches and blues to carry the color theme into the rest area of her apartment. As the sky was turning gray with the setting of the sun, Susie headed to her new “home”. Tomorrow she would visit the first church on the list she had made. Hoping she would quickly find a new spiritual home, she let the thought drift from her mind.



The church was small but the congregation seemed totally devoted to their faith. They were friendly and had warmly welcomed her. She thought she had found her home already. She was so excited about her new life in Houston. She was very sure the memories of Los Angeles and the betrayal could be kept at bay. She knew she had found the new world and the new life she needed so badly.



With her life as settled as it could be in so short a time, she settled on her bed with her book and read until it was dinner time. She prepared herself a small fruit salad and ate hardily. The shaking in her body seemed to be calming. She sighed in blessed relief. Tomorrow was beginning to look pretty good. She whispered, "Thank you, Father", as she slipped into the most restful sleep she had had in weeks.

































© Copyright 2011 Darlene Pharris (sdpharris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1742956-The-Flame-in-His-eyesPart-Two