*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744152-Fake-Bar
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #1744152
Written for Creative Writing class (2008-2009). This place isn't just a building...
A young teenage boy always ran away when his dad came home. His short silky black hair and blue eyes were a dead giveaway however so each time he disappeared he was always found the next day. Though he never knew it, people always see him out their windows. For now, he was on the computer typing up an essay for English class. The essay was due tomorrow; the teacher gave the class three weeks to do it but he waited until the last minute as he usually does when it comes to essays. This was also the time his dad came home from the bar- swerving into the driveway. The boy stopped what he was doing and limped to the window to look for his dad. He saw him driving up- almost hitting the postbox. Then he watched as his dad opened the door to the red Ford truck and bent over to pick up his wallet. That's when the boy saw an opportunity to escape. Quickly he jumped away from the window, put on some shoes, and dashed out the back door. The alley was clear when he ran up toward a street that would take him o the park. The street he did come to, however, was very unfamiliar to him, but he took that street anyway.

While he jogged down the street, hoping that it would lead him to his favorite park, he noticed an old lit up sign that said "Ernie's Bar." Once he reached that sign he stopped, turned, then looked at the bar. It was down-looking, needing repairs. He figured it was still being used for a bar though, the sign was very new. It looked like it was a bar where his dad goes to all the time, remembering he's seen that bar once. There was a few others he knew with the same name though. Slowly and carefully he walked up to the door and opened it. The door was unlocked. Through the dim light of the moon he can make out a few tables and chairs, as well as the counter. Another thing he saw was a TV and a full-sized bed. The TV looked abnormal.

Concluding it was safe to spend the night there, he walked into it and let the door shut behind him. It closed with a clank. Then he was in total darkness. No light to guide off of. He walked forward, in hopes of finding the bed. For a while he was walking on the hard wooden floor, but then the floor gradually changed to where he was walking in soft damp soil covered with grass and fallen leaves. He felt grass hit him, but didn't care. He needed a place to rest.

After a while he stopped. The clouds cleared only enough so he could see a tree stump.

This must have been a shortcut to the park he thought, admiring where he was by the moonlight. Then he climbed up on top of the stump and fell into a deep sleep.

At the sound of parrots calling out to one another he woke up. The sun was fairly high in the sky, indicating around 10am. Then he felt something scaly crawling on his chest. Moving up a little to see better, he made out a skinny long green snake. The boy also noticed plants not native or able to grow around where he lived.

"This isn't a park, this must be a zoo where the animals run wild," he said out loud, startled.

Quickly he rose to his feet, tossed the snake aside where it won't crawl on him, then ran until he saw a hole on the side of a mountain. Remembering the books he read about caves one day, he figured that hole was a cave entrance. He sprinted to it and entered. The floor was wooden and, looking around, the place looked like a theater than anything else. He saw the backdoor which he figured led to behind the theater. Instead, when he opened the door, he saw the place it led to was his home town- and that there was police waiting to bring him back home where he headed.
© Copyright 2011 Angelica- House Florent B & W (dragonfish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744152-Fake-Bar