*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744391-Unexpected-Company-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1744391
Playing rummy and drinking seemed the only thing Ernie and Stan could do at the arctic.
The wind howled in Bill’s ears as it whipped across the barren, snow-covered landscape. He trudged through the snow and ice toward the only discernible landmark – a rocky crag. The jagged gneiss rock tower jutted high into the sky. His odds bleak, it stood as his only hope of shelter -- His only hope of survival -- His only hope at all.

His extremities numb, he approached the structure. He had to blink a few times when he spotted a door with a tattered red ribbon flapping in the gale, tied above it.

Ernie eyed Stan across the table and placed a deuce on the rummy stack when they heard the knock. They glanced at each other, shrugged, and Stan drew a card. Then the knock came again.

Ernie said what Stan was thinking, “What the devil? We’re not supposed to have a supply delivery for another two months.”

Stan arose and walked to the door. He peeked back at Ernie and unbarred the door. With a great heave he yanked open the half frozen door. Bill tumbled in – nearly frozen.

Ernie and Stan shut the door and attended to Bill. Nothing was said. They heated water and warmed his fingers and toes. Both showed signs of frostbite. Bill sat dazed. After a few hours Bill seemed to come out of it. He looked around at the two room oasis. A generator hummed in the background.

“Where am I?”

“You are the luckiest bastard I’ve ever met. Middle of the arctic and you stumble on us?”

“Who are you guys?”

“Canadiens. Army outpost 4956. We’re the farthest north.”

“Unbelievable.”

“Who are you?”

“Part of a mapping crew. We had engine trouble and went down. I was the only survivor.”

“Sorry.” Stan intoned. They all fell silent.

“So, you play rummy?”



298 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Ice, Ribbon, Tower
© Copyright 2011 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1744391-Unexpected-Company-1st-Place