*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745458-Wishing-I-Never-Wished-on-That-Dumb-Star
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #1745458
One girl's wish turns much differently than it originally seems [Writer's Cramp Entry]
She looked out her window and saw a shooting star. Ignoring the fact that she had just turned twenty-two, she tightly closed her eyes and wished for the same thing she had when she was just five years old—when she had learned one could wish upon a star.

With a sigh she opened her eyes, hoping deep down that her wish would come true, even though multiple doctors had all agreed that she would never get the usage her vocal cords back. The trauma she had sustained to them back when she was an infant was too severe.

“Ah!” Valerie silently screamed, jumping back in fright.

There was a clothed, life-sized cricket standing in her room!

“Don’t,” here he stopped and cleared his throat, “Sorry I’m a little rusty on the whole talking business. Don’t be frightened. I’m your fairy god-father.” He rolled his eyes at the last part. “That last part is all contractual. If it were up to me, I would nix it.”

Valerie took out her notebook and her pen—since it was her only means of communicating, it was always on hand. She quickly scribbled down, “Who are you and why are you in my room?”, and handed the pad to the cricket.

“Oh, dear. I should have introduced myself. I am Joseph Cricket. Of no relation to Jiminy Cricket. And I am here to grant you your one true wish.” Here he rolled his eyes again. “Sorry, protocol.”

Valerie looked at him with wide eyes and pointed to the sky, mimicking a shooting star.

“Yep. That’s what happened. Your great-great-great—well, a lot of great grandmother’s ago, Rose, wanted to leave this present for you. Well, not you specifically. Just any of her ancestors without the ability to speak. As you probably know from the horribly inaccurate Disney version, Rose was insanely proud of her voice. It literally pained her to think of one of her family members not being able to talk or sing. And I mean literally in the most literal sense. She was stuck in bed for a month just thinking about it.”

While Joseph Cricket was talking Valerie was scribbling something down on her pad. Holding it up to him, he read it aloud. “Who is Rose?”

“Rose? You don’t know Rose? Briar Rose? Princess Briar Rose? Have you lived your entire life under a rock?!”

Valerie shook her head at this, writing, “Oh. Her. I know who she is.”

Joseph Cricket stared at her, “I admire your nonchalance and seemingly indifferent attitude towards something of such great importance.”

She raised her brow, gesturing for him to elaborate what her present was.

“A girl who gets right to it, eh? Alright, let’s quit the chit chat then. Rose left this wish to any of her ancestors with the stipulation that they would prove themselves to be very determined before receiving it. Which you proved by wishing on your twelve thousandth star tonight.” He read off his notes disbelievingly. “Well you’ve got the determined part down pat. And your present is granted in one, two, three, skip-aroo!”

Valerie frowned, “I don’t see what my present is.” She said in a melodic voice.

Now it was Joseph Cricket’s turn to raise his brow, “You’ve just used it, girl! It’s your voice—Rose’s voice!” Muttering to himself, he added, “Kinda creepy, but also cool.”

“I can speak?” She said disbelievingly. “I can speak!” She laughed, squeaking at the end.

Joseph Cricket interrupted her here, “Now before you go talking to everyone you see, you need to know that there’s a downside to this…present.”

“What can be so awful about speaking? I’m SPEAKING!” She shouted deliriously, spinning in circles, laughing all the while.

“Well, Rose wasn’t sure how to save her voice to give to you, so she went to see a witch. Unfortunately the witch she went to see had a mischievous side, so she tacked on a little something extra to your present.”

“Well what is it?” Valerie demanded impatiently.

“I don’t know how to put this gently—everyone who hears you speak will instantly become enamored with you. Whether it be a male or female, frog or elephant. Of course, Rose didn’t have this problem, and once the witch had made the curse there was no undoing it. The only cure is a kiss from your one true love.” He cracked.

Valerie raised her brow at this, “Was that last part protocol as well?”

He cleared his throat, “No, sorry. That was my version of a joke. I guess it didn’t turn out so well…”

“So what’s the solution to this problem?” She demanded.

“Only one relative was as determined as you in achieving the present, and their solution was pretty ingenuous.” Joseph Cricket admitted. “I don’t think you’ll like it though—neither did poor Sam.”

“Can you tell me what it is, or is this another determination thing where I get to figure it out on my own?” She asked desperately.

“No, I can tell you. Sam solved the problem by, well, not talking to anyone.”

Valerie’s mouth dropped open at this, “Wait, so after all of this waiting, you’re telling me I’m going to have a voice that I won’t be able to use?!” She shrieked.

“Well, it’s either that or having everyone falling in love with you all the time.” Joseph Cricket said with a shrug. “Sorry, guess you can’t have your apple and eat it too.”

Valerie gave him a blank stare.

“Oh, sorry. Got my stories a bit jumbled there.”

Valerie shook her head disbelievingly. “You’ve got to be kidding me. Thanks a lot, Rose.”
© Copyright 2011 breshke (breshke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1745458-Wishing-I-Never-Wished-on-That-Dumb-Star